Top Attractions in Playas del Coco
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Scuba Caribe Catamaran Sunset Tour, Coco Beach Water Taxi, & Deep Sea Fishing in Papagayo Costa RicaWant to let the people in charge know that the staff at ScubaCaribe is top notch. Camillo was very informative with all of the services your company provides for the guests at the Guanacaste Riu. He gave us an awesome price on the Catamaran Sunset tour. We liked it so much that we later purchased the water taxi to Coco Beach, and also chartered a half day fishing trip through you as well.
The Catamaran trip included snorkeling. Under water, we saw sea turtles, schools of colorful fish, and manta rays. Our guide, "Rhasta" was very informative and helpful in many ways. He took photos of us in caves that are only accessible during low tide, and was a wealth of information about the area and its many attractions. They provided all the necessary equipment, fruit, and water bottles. The Captain's name was Orlando and he did a great job as well.
Rhasta was with us again for the water taxi to Coco Beach and it was interesting to have him inform us of all the celebrities that have homes in the Papagayo Gulf, as we passed them on the way to Coco Beach. The Captain even took us into some caves so we could see all the crabs scurrying away as we pulled close. These extra things are not necessary to get you from point A to point B, but they sure were appreciated.
As for the deep sea fishing, we had 4 people, plus the Captain ("Macho"), and his first mate. To be honest, we did not catch huge fish. We opted for a less expensive trip (less than $250 for all four of us) with bottom fishing instead of trolling, but that said, every person caught more than one fish. And the crew was very helpful with tips and techniques to make sure we did not go back empty handed. We ended up keeping 4 of the dozen fish caught and took them back to the hotel for the chef to cook them up for us. All the equipment and bait were provided, and we had a great morning with these guys.Written May 28, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We were grateful to find this church not too far from our hotel in Guanacaste. Took a water taxi to Playa del Coco. Went to mass then spent a bit of time in the town. Mass is at 11:00 SundayWritten April 4, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I purchased jewelry and they were very helpful and love my rings. I found the prices very reasonable. I admired some nice purses too. The art is fun and whimsical. One of the nicest shops in Coco. I suggest some of the art would be great for t-shrits and dishtowels as well.Written November 19, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Rojas Bros own and run by a native family of Coco beach...Mr Rojas was a real Coco beach PIONEER
They offer a great combination of souvenirs...from the coast and from different areas of Costa RicaWritten November 15, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I've been going to church here for numerous years. God's presence is felt there every time and I'm blessed to have had so many experiences, blessings and long friendships come from being a part of this wonderful congregation. The Spanish church has grown so sweetly and big and the "gringo" church, although it grows and then gets small with the seasons, the love and connection remains.Written May 19, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This market is held once a week and it is something that my family looks forward to as the day approaches. Many fresh and healthy foods, handmade jewelry, paintings, and entertainment for the children! We will be back.Written August 29, 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Stopped in the casino while on a shopping trip in Playa de Coco. Maybe a total of 20 slots, some take American money, you will know which do because there will be a $ sign on it. When you close out they will come by and write a ticket , then give you the money but it is never what the machine says you have. Staff is very friendly but our trip to the casino was a total waste of time.Written October 17, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- It wasn't terribly far from the beach, but it was a dark walk down a poorly lit road at night.
I'm not easily off-put by imperfect conditions, but, at this time, this place was $75 US for a gross room in a sub-standard location. The bathroom was disgusting, cracked, dirty tub, the room smelled. The desk staff were not terribly friendly, not staffed after 8 pm, but there was a very nice night guard. I don't recommend it.Written January 1, 2016This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We took a dive trip with Pepe as our guide and he was very helpful and attentive before, during and after the dive. We went to local spots close to Coco and saw plenty of white tip reef sharks, rays, moraines, cornet fish and schools of other fish. Pepe and the boat captain took care of everything and made this a great dive experience. Pepe made some videos which he also shared with us after the trip - which was a nice bonus :)Written June 24, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Our trip with Rolbin was amazing. We saw a lot of marine life during our boat tour, during which he brought us to various private beaches in the Papagayo Gulf. We went snorkeling got grabbed drinks on the boat. Rolbin is super friendly and chill - I would recommend this tour to anyone visiting Playa del Coco and wants to do something special with their family or loved ones.Written June 8, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Tomato is an amazing person! He was knowledgeable, connected, fun and will to do anything to make our trip amazing! Because of Tomato, our trip was full of great memories and experiences because of him! Our families still talk about him! You can’t go wrong wit Tomato!!Written June 30, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Just got home from an amazing trip to Costa Rica & had to write a review for Shaman Tours & Randall! We had two tours arranged through our resort with Randall - one to Heliconias and one white water rafting on Rio Tenorio. Both trips were more than we expected - so much fun! Randall was a great guide - on time, very professionals, and also very friendly, approachable, and knowledgeable. This was our first trip to CR & it was very nice to get to know the country through Randall's eyes. We will definitely be going back & will reconnect with Randall for more adventures!Written June 26, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We have used Memo's services for 3 years now. He never disappoints! He is an amazing person, very professional, very patient, very respectful, and very helpful. We always have him book our fishing trips and never have been disappointed. He is always prompt for our airport transport and willing to stop for breakfast or groceries. Please remember to tip beyond the cost of trips, as time and gas are expensive in CR. It is better to use his services than renting a car. He is a kind, hard-working, and honest person.
In the past we have visited the Rincon de la Viejo volcano, water rafting, waterfalls, sloth sanctuary, hot springs, local areas, and beach tours. He is very knowledgeable about his country.Written June 18, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- My friend and I had a wonderful experience of joy and excitement on our sail with Vela Sailing Tour. They went out of their way to make us comfortable and making sure we have fun. 5⭐️ it is belongs to them.
Thank you!Written May 27, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We had a great tour booked with Jorge from "Tied Water Adventures" while staying at Secrets Papagayo.
We went to view some iconic Costa Rican animals, it's a small farm on the edge of the rain forest, animals are not caged there, they are free among the greenery but the knowledgeble volunteer guides know how to spot them.
We saw several sloths (some as close as at arms length) and colourful tropical tree frogs, birds, insects. The hike is not difficult and not very long, trees provide shades and it generally cooler and fresher climate there, as it's elevated compated to coastal areas. Then our guide took us to a nice little restsurant for lunch, food was good there.
We also visited a small beautiful waterfall on the way to the forest, if you wish - you can have a refreshing swim there.
The drive was pleasant, in a comfortable private car with good a/c. The driver spoke English very well and was very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of Costa Rica and told us fascinating facts and stories, my favourite was about the Constrictor or Killer tree, I didn't know that specie before, he pointed out many of those trees, despite the sinister name they are very beautiful trees.
Then he made a stop for us to buy some of the best Costa Rican coffee at a supermarket, the price was better then at the hotel ir the airport. There you could also buy tropical fruits, sweets, refried beans and other products that I like to bring home from Costa Rica.
Anna & Michael from TorontoWritten June 11, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Playas del Coco
- The best day trips from Playas del Coco according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Guachipelin Adventure Volcano Zipline Horseback River Tubing Combo
- Rio Celeste Hiking, Sloth Sanctuary & Llanos de Cortes Waterfall Tour
- Full Day Nicaragua Tour from Costa Rica
- Miravalles Volcano and Waterfalls from Playa Hermosa
- Palo Verde Boat Safari