Top Attractions in Isla de Ometepe
What travelers are saying
- Arrived about 11am and there only a few people there. Nice and chilled. Good place to cool off during a cycle. Don’t forget the sunscreen, The Nicaraguan sun burns!Written March 25, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Amazing hike ! Difficult climb and definitely challenging but 100% worth the effort. Recommend to anyone who’s looking for a beautiful hike in Ometepe and Nicaragua in general. I also recommend Lazarro as a tour guide. Professional, fun, and easy going +505-5840-3700.Written September 24, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
We had an amaizing time climbing these wonderfull volcano with our lovly guid Hector +505 8628 7206 (hospidalje bullshark) go and loook for him . Wonderful man!!
Quit a heavy walk but worth it for me 😉Written March 3, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Butterfly garden is beautiful, also turtles. Not big but ok. Later a walk around Charco Verde and swimming on beach Bacon. Some monkeys and birds and many butterflies also outside the garden. The walk with swimming took one hour.Written November 29, 2020
- Spectacular view of the volcano and a cute little beach. Nothing wow but definitely worth a quick pop-in.Written August 8, 2019
- Beautiful vertical falls at the end of a pretty ~50min ~2km hike. Sit for a bit and splash under the falls before you turn around. Truly stunning, even in summer when the water is low.
We took an ATV up the extremely bumpy road for the first 2km, it’s about 4km up total if you don’t have sturdy wheels to get you half way there.Written April 13, 2022
- Had a nice time! Super friendly staff, always felt safe, amazing time!
When you are on Ometepe you have to do this!Written January 17, 2020
- We did a kayak tour with Caballito's Mar Kayak Tour and had the best afternoon! So many bird sightings as well as Howler Monkeys, Caimans and a very knowledgeable guide! It was perfect!Written February 29, 2020
- The homestay in Los Ramos was the highlight of my trip to Nicaragua!! The person who organized our stay, Ever, was very thorough, friendly, and spoke excellent English. We ended up staying with his parents, Ana Jorge and Herma. Both of them were so incredibly wonderful and welcoming to us! Even though our Spanish was limited and they didn't speak English, we enjoyed relaxing nights exchanging photographs, playing cards with the neighbor children, and bonding over Herma's favorite American action movies.
Los Ramos is a remote village and this is exactly what we were looking for! We wanted to get away from other tourists and cities to spend some time learning about rural Nicaraguan life. There are currently about 75 people who live in houses scattered around the village centered around a church, old school, and community center. During the day, we signed up for several excursions including Chaco Verde, climbing Concepcion, and an island sightseeing tour. All were excellent!!
Thanks so much for the amazing and memorable visit! I'll definitely be going back to visit on my next trip to Nicaragua! I already miss Ana's delicious food :)Written April 3, 2018
- If you look for a reliable and cheap taxi on the island ometepe, I can recommend you Gerald Tijerino. I traveled together with three friends. We paid 5 dollars each for drives that took about 30-40 minutes. He also offers scooter rentals for 24h at a rate of 15 dollars. Motorbikes are avaible at 20 dollars for 24 hours. Gerald usually replied within minutes when communicating over WhatsApp and was always very kind and helpful.Written August 8, 2022
- The centro Puma is a great place! I explored the place while I was in the spanish school in Altagracia and it was so much fun that i spent almost all my afternoons in the project.
Jeff (the owner) is a super nice guy and you can do a lot of different stuff there.
They have an organic garden. They make organic coffee and chocolate and they do a few different tours on the island. There is even a book exchange.
But the best thing is that it's a place where you can easily connect with locals. There are always children around and two times per week is an english cafe where locals come to learn some english and you get to know more about the local life and culture while even improving in spanish. It was great and if you're interested in a local experience you definitely have to go there!Written March 13, 2020
- Elmer is the best! He is super friendly and his daughter is adorable. They have great, brand new bikes and options to suit you best. The location of his shop is perfect and he is easily reachable by WhatsApp incase you want to extend your rental, or coordinate what time to drop off. Definitely go with Elmer!Written July 27, 2022
- If you are interested in archeology, this small museum is a must see. Staff of the hotel of the same name will guide you around.Written April 6, 2018
- We spent a half day in Altagracia while based at a hotel in Santo Domingo—rented a scooter to drive there.
Many things to comment on but since the museum is the only thing listed on Trip Advisor, I am commenting on several things here.
The museum is small but has some interesting items and a very knowledgable woman who showed us around. The museum had a sign saying it was closed to fix up the exhibits but as the door was open we called out and not only did she allow us in, she took the time away from her work to talk with us ... we speak Spanish so I cannot say whether or not she would have given the same info in English but she kindly enunciated slowly for our gringo ears.
Then when we asked about where to eat for lunch, a man working there suggested Comedor Nicarao which is around the corner from the museum, facing the park. TripAdvisor would not let me add that restaurant to the listing for some odd reason but they served us absolutely the best fried chicken I have ever eaten, hands down! Super tender fall off the bone with the most amazing light crispy thin crust, fantastic. Served with beans and tortillas. (Note this is not the fast food chicken place nearby). Note also they had no printed menu and gave us the food choices in Spanish.
Then another attraction is the city central park, also not listed as a place on T.A. but worth seeing as it is one of the nicest city park-plazas I have seen. Beautiful plants and small garden including an extraordinary basil —a small bush (if you are a gardener pinch off a leaf, wow), super playground for kids, and a central raised area you can climb up a spiral stair for a nice view around. Then on the opposite side of the park from the restaurant is a church—walk into the entry area to see some fantastic old carved stones, huge stone idols. There is a donation box there to help support their maintenance.
The town has a nice relaxed feeling and I would recommend a half day there if you are on the island long enough, or even base yourself there and do day trips from there. It is a lot less windy than the center (narrower) part of the island.Written March 7, 2018
- We spent about an hour for a leisurely hike in the evening since it is across from our hotel. Part of the trail is super rocky with volcanic rock which is interesting to look at. Some trees are labeled with their names. Lots of monkeys playing high in the trees (you could get a sore neck looking up), and some interesting birds, but you need to be there early or late in the day and take the time to look around! Very clean with no trash and a nice way to relax for a little while. This is a great little community trail.Written March 5, 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Isla de Ometepe
- The best day trips from Isla de Ometepe according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- trip around the island of ometepe and Nicaragua
- Small-Group expedition of Ometepe Highlights with El Ceibo Museum
- A great tour day for the ISLAND OF OMETEPE.
- Full Day Private Tour to Nicaragua From Costa Rica
- Classic Ometepe Island