- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
42 places sorted by traveler favorites
Showing results 1-30 of 42
What travelers are saying
- For the fourth year in a row, we rode the VA Creeper trail in mid-October, and once again had a great ride with full fall foliage to see (although a tad past peak in 2022). The air was crisp and cool, the sun was lighting up the colorful trees most of the way down the trail, and it was the perfect day to experience this wonderful 17-mile adventure.
As most folks do, we caught a shuttle in Damascus which took us up to White Top station. We always bring our own bicycles, so all we ever need is the ride up.
While there are a few sections of the trail near the bottom I would consider "flat" where one needs to pedal, the distance isn't too long, and most of the ride is downhill.
The VA Creeper trail is heavily traveled in October, and if you tend to be a slower rider, you will have many "passers by" on your left as you ride, but it never seems too crowded as folks spread out so much along the distance. The one place where you'll find crowds is at Hellbender's Cafe.
We always bring a sandwich picnic with us and stop to eat along the way at the picnic area around mile 11 or so.
We love doing photography as we ride along, stopping frequently to savor the views from the railroad trestle bridges, streams, and other locations. We also video the experience with a "Go Pro" camera.
A truly amazing experience for all ages, if you can go in the autumn, you will have a thoroughly enjoyable day.Written October 18, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I was not familiar with the Barter Theater until my friend in West Virginia suggested we attend “Murder At The Orient Express” as part of our girls trip. It was truly a highlight of the week! The sets, costumes, actors were fantastic. It was a professional level presentation with a warm small town ambiance. The ticket prices were reasonable, and the prices at the gift shop were surprisingly affordable. Homemade cookies at the snack bar were a pleasant surprise! Beyond the theater, Abingdon is a beautiful town and I will be going back to visit. A long weekend in Abingdon for shopping and a play is calling to me!Written December 2, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great place for local history information and art exhibitions. Such a hidden gem. Very interesting and informative. This will be a regular site to visit when I come to Abingdon.
A must see in south west Virginia.Written October 13, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Arts Depot is a wonderful space with seven resident artists and three galleries with rotating displays. The quality of the artwork is very high and there is a wide variety with prices to suit everyones budget, This would be a great place to stop by when you visit Abingdon. VA.Written December 6, 2022
- I walked here on a warm day. I had been looking forward to this for a long time. The trail was flat and wide.Written March 14, 2022
- Abingdon Vineyards is a quiet vineyard off the beaten path. We sat outside by a beautiful stream and enjoyed a picnic lunch we brought with us. There are picnic tables and the vineyard has a small but nice selection of cheese, crackers, and snacks. We each purchased a picnic flight of 4 good size pours of wine for $16. Our two favorite wines were Steel Strings and Riverside Rose. This was a perfect stop on our road trip as it provided a friendly quiet outside area to relax and enjoy. We would definitely visit again.Written October 27, 2021
- Latte with oat milk and a muffin warmed - outstanding. Definitely get it warmed. Just here for the day. This will be my go to place if I lived here.Written July 14, 2022
- This is an amazing cemetery with its first burial dating to July 4, 1776. Its absolutely incredible to walk and see the history present in this cemetery.Written October 9, 2022
- We enjoyed a nice morning of walking around the market talking to the vendors. Really nice folks. We bought a beautiful cherry wood lazy susan for our dining table from John O'Quinn of Real Wood Designs at a very fair price. He's a nice guy who stands behind his work. After about 4 months, the swivel mechanism froze up. I called John and he put a new mechanism in the mail and now it works just like new! Highly recommended.Written February 10, 2020
- Wonderful museum with knowledgeable staff. The grounds are well-maintained with excellent signage. Very nicely done!Written February 27, 2020
- This is a great resource for local residents who need information on our past. The staff is helpful and knowledgeable, and were of great assistance to us in creating our Damascus History Tour. It's worth going here just to look through the old photos. Fascinating.Written April 25, 2021
- We visited Zephyr while walking through Abingdon. It's not the largest antique store we've visited but it has a nice variety of items. We're glad we stopped in.Written June 12, 2021
- We stopped to see some of the historic sights in this small town on our route from Johnson City to Roanoke as its just off I-81.
The architecture is congruous from the Barter Theater, Martha Washington Inn, United Methodist Church, General District Court Clerk and Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church.
Then there is this 1846 stone Episcopal Church looking like it should head the town square in Dorset, England.
Beautiful buildings.Written October 7, 2020
- this is an old non operating mill. Much of the equipment is in the building with signs describing what each was used for. Three stories to explore. I would not make a special trip to see it, but if you are close by and like old mills in picturesque countryside, you would enjoy it. Across the street, visit the old general store, full of interesting items for sale, along with flour and grits.Written September 3, 2019
- We had a quick picnic lunch here today and it was nice! There are multiple picnic tables in different spots (we ate under a picnic shelter). The playground was fun for our young child. Plenty of parking and easy interstate access. No bathroom but there was a clean port-a-potty in the parking lot.Written July 5, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Abingdon
- The best outdoor activities in Abingdon according to Tripadvisor travelers are: See all outdoor activities in Abingdon on Tripadvisor
Abingdon Attractions Information
|Local Time||Wednesday 6:14 AM|