Natural History Museums • Nature & Wildlife Areas
Top Attractions in Albany
What travelers are saying
- Ironically, I visited this museum on 9/11. The World Trade Center exhibit is filled with items found at the site. I was mesmerized by the fire truck. There are related videos from eye witnesses. Besides the World Trade Center, there were other exhibits from Sesame Street to minerals and rocks. There was a nice collection of taxadermy and a huge wolly mammoth. Nice free museum.Written September 12, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Who knew? We were scheduled to take the River cruise at 1:00 and were looking for something to kill time in the morning. We saw the USS Slater tour advertised and decided to visit. Free parking in same lot as river cruise and only $10 to tour. The guide was a wealth of knowledge about the ship and large parts of the ship were available for touring. The guide really brought the shop “alive”. I had no idea what close quarters were until we toured this historic gem!Written September 18, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I walked in with bike clothes late in the day, missing the last tour. Staff friendly, assisting with getting me and some bike stuff through screening and providing a map and suggested tour route. It's a beautiful building to tour on your own. There are lots of displays describing restoration projects and what is in the building. The senate chambers were locked, but it appeared that a representative was talking to a school group in the lower chamber. An employee/guard noticed me looking in and motioned I could come in. There is also a park and other buildings and displays across the street. This activity is FREE!Written October 3, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- On a very hot day in May, Washington Park was a perfect place to visit. The 'Park Lake' and water feature, and the many trees helped create a very relaxing and cooling experience. The water was so clear you easily see the fish in the lake. Tulips were still in bloom. Many pathways for walking, and places to park for ease of access in the park. Lots of benches to sit and reflect.Written July 3, 2022
- Though it’s not a particularly large home, it has a rich history and has been open as a museum since 1917 so for over 100 years! Ella was an excellent docent to the 5 of us on the tour. Visitors to this home in the past include Alexander Hamilton, Millard Fillmore, and Benjamin Franklin. They have some of the original furnishings and have Copied the original wallpaper and other items from the period. The original owners had 15 children, 8 of whom lived to adulthood. She said the popular Hamilton musical has increased their number of guests, although the play has a lot of in accuracies.Written September 21, 2022
- Two adults visited this museum on a Friday in mid-August 2022 and had a great time. We spent the entire day there (about seven hours including time for lunch) looking and reading about all of the exhibits. YMMV, but the museum could certainly be seen in much less time. We tend to read all of the posted information. The third floor was our favorite with their Egyptian rooms, map rooms and art exhibits. Lots to see. Probably would not bring very young children but elementary school age and above would be fine. There is no food or drinks available for purchase at the site.Written August 27, 2022
- A classic mall on the outskirts of Albany, NY between the town of Guilderland and the City. Nearby SUNY Albany. A varied mall that still keeps a good amount of activity and a lot of decent, well-run store. A decently sized movie theater and tasty food court as well.Written March 3, 2020
- Free, just go up in the express elevator to the 43rd floor for some great views of the city as well as the Hudson River? Worth a visitWritten September 19, 2022
- My son and I attended the Albany Firewolves game over the weekend. We had a great time! The game was great!! The concessions were great too....lines moved quick and plenty of options. Bathrooms were clean, as well as the whole facility. Only issue we had was one of our seats was broken, and completely leaned forward and was wobbly, also the view from that seat was obstructed by one of the platforms that hold the lighting for the show (this was not stated as an obstructed seat, as some other seats are stated). The cupholder is a nice convenience, but it had a broken bottom and unusable so your drink would fall right through. We moved down as our whole row was empty, and there was another broken cupholder which my son accidentally fell against and got bruised.Written May 2, 2022
- This was our first visit and what a beautiful theater! We saw Bonnie Raitt there and the whole experience was lovely. Great acoustics too!Written April 17, 2022
- This is a perfect place to see live music! We saw Samantha Fish, River Kittens and Devon Allman (son of Greg), all for about $40, and had terrific seats.Written March 28, 2022
- The plaza, which dates from the era of the Rockefeller governorship (1960s), is an example of mid-century futuristic design, with The Egg, a concert venue, dominating the eastern side of the plaza. The State Museum is at the south end, a somewhat nondescript building given the magnificence of the Egg. Below the plaza level is a mall with shops that are frequented by government workers and tourists alike. It's very quiet on weekends, and most of the shops are closed, but the upper level is blissfully uncrowded and a great place to wander around and enjoy the beauty of the surroundings.Written November 5, 2019
- Albany is a wasteland, this place is great!
There is literally almost nothing to do with little kids in Albany. My tot and older elementary kid had a blast. The discovery center is very geared to the under 5’s but the educator staffing the desk was wonderful and engaging. And talked with my animal loving kid a bunch. We took a short hike on the blue/yellow trail and it was really to spend the morning outside. We dropped a chunk of cash at the gift shop but only because I needed a hoodie. Otherwise it’s priced to be kid friendly.Written April 2, 2022
- Paul was a delightful story teller and gave an excellent presentation of the local history of the Underground Railroad. The work they have done on the building is incredible and we learned a ton. The tour was engaging and there are amazing artifacts. Well worth a visit!Written June 16, 2022
- As presidential graves go, this is pretty average. This is the 23rd grave I have visited. You will need the map at the entrance to find it towards the back of the cemetery. The statue is quite pretty.Written September 12, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Albany
Albany Attractions Information
|Number of Reviews||6,306|
|Number of Photos||2,984|
|Local Time||Wednesday 5:17 AM|