Top Attractions in Bhubaneswar
What travelers are saying
- My wife and I enjoyed our afternoon at this zoo. We were delighted with the cleanliness of the park and the many exhibits of animals from around the world. It was a hot day so remember to bring good drinking water with you. There are a few places in the zoo to by snack and drinks. The security made us feel that this was a safe attraction for us as Americans. for the most part people were friendly and welcoming to us. We didn't get to see the entire park. On our next visit trip to india, we will see the remainder of the animals.Written September 6, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Build on a hill near Daya river where fierce war between Magadh and Kalinga was fought and after seeing the effect of war Ashoka became a Buddhist monk.
The stupa is currently under renovation so may skip for now till its renovation completes.Written August 20, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A government museum dedicated to tribals of Odissa.Well maintained,no entry fee.They have different sections exhibiting different life aspects of tribals like their art and crafts,food,indigenous equipment made for hunting and daily like,agriculture,fishing and much more.
They have a souvenir shop also but at the time of our visit it was closed.
Its very close toWritten August 20, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Main temple of Bhubaneshwar dedicated to lord Shiva.The temple is century older than Jagganath Temple ,Puri.
Mobile,Camera not allowed inside the campus to better to leave it in your cab.Other thatn main temple of Lord Shiva there are different temples dedicated to different gods,its a huge temple complex so have sufficient time to explore.
As photography is not allowed inside the temple complex so after visiting the temple and darshan we can go to the platform situated outside of the temple complex in left side wall which was constructed for non Hindus to have a glimpse of temple ,from there can have some good view of temple for photo.Written August 21, 2022
- well preserved n well maintained . you need to buy tickets to see the place .worth seeing .need to climb few steps .but very clean n well maintainedWritten December 6, 2021
- Bhubaneshwar is also called city of temple so when in the city do try to visit different temples and this Ram Mandir should be one of them.This temple is not as old as some of the temples like Lingraj temple but still worth visit.The temple is dedicated to Shri Ram and Sita ,not as crowded as puri or lingraj.Written August 21, 2022
- We being hindus should visit these places. We should be proud of our temples and history. It is so beautiful.Written May 31, 2022
- Whoever going to oddissa must visit the museum . It is in the heart of city and so much knowledge and history. Just amazing.Written May 31, 2022
- Khandagiri Caves are located outer side of Bhubaneshwar city and adjacent to Udayagiri Caves. Udayagiri and Khandagiri caves are formerly called as Cuttack Caves which are 6km away from Bhubaneshwar Airport and 10km away from Railway station. These caves are approximately 118 feet in height. These caves are partly natural and partly artificial caves of historical and religious importance. It is believed that these caves are built during 2nd Century BC.
Khandagiri caves has 15 caves.
The parrots are carved above the entrance arch and hence it is called Tatowa Gumpa
This cave is decorated with sculptural friezes like Nayakas, gandhrvas, different animals and birds.
Ananta cave has carved figures of women, elephants, athletes and geese on it.
It is a small rock cut chamber with just one column
It is a roughly cut cell and has double storeys
It is a small cave with no significant importance
It has sculptures of nine Jain Tirthankara's and Sasana Devis
It has twelve armed Sasana Devis. The Sasana Devis considered to be form of
Hindu deity Durga Devi. Barabhuji Gumpha gets it s name from the sculptures which are having 12 arms.
There are three sculptures of Rishabha Deva in the standing posture and 24 rough image of Jain Tirthankara's.
The Yaksha and Yakshini's of each Tirthankara's is carved on the walls of this Cave
The relief images of Mahavir, Parshvanath and few Jain Tirthankara's are found in this caves
Cave12-Name is unknown
This unnamed cave is located on the south side of Khandagiri hill. it is located little up ahead of a rock cut tank which is called as Radhakunda. Now there is no physical resemblance to this cave
Cave13-Name is unknown
This unnamed Cave has a portion of the ceiling while the pillars are gone and only remaining this is its foundation and ceiling
Cave15-Name is unknown
Tips for your Visit:
1. Here I personally don't feel any importance is there for those 15 caves. I have just walked around and my only recommendation here is don't waste your time and energy. Just reach top of the Khandagiri and Visit Jain temple which is located on top of this hill. After Darshan enjoy bird view of the Bhubaneshwar city and comedown. while climbing up and coming down you can just have a look towards this caves. nothing much special other than this.
2. There is no separate ticket is required for this visit. Same ticket is valid for both Udayagiri Caves and Khandagiri Caves.
3. Monkeys are more here. Please take care of your belongings.
Morning 09:00 to Evening 05:00 and no separate ticket is required here.Written June 18, 2022
- This temple is situated inside well maintained garden at a short distance from the enter of old Bhubaneshwar. It is also called as love temple because it contains beautiful curving's of women and couples.
This temple was built during the Somavamshi rule in the 11th Century AD. This temple is constructed in Kalinga architectural style. This temple was constructed using a reddish gold kind of sandstone, which is known as Rajarania as per localities and hence this temple is named as Rajarani temple.
Uniqueness of this temple:
1. A Naga and Nagini are present at the entrance of the temple, which are nicely made and is one of the special attraction of this temple.
2. The Rajarani music festival is an annual celebration that takes place 3days at the temple every year from 18th to 20th January. This festival was started in the year 2003 and is being organized by the department of tourism of Odisha Government
3. There is no deity inside this temple. temple was earlier known as Indreswara temple and it is believed that it was dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is believed that this temple for some reasons couldn't completed.
4. The Rajarani temple has ashtadikhpalakas in all eight direction who are Guardians to this temple. They are standing in a clockwise direction from the passage encompassing the yard to end back at torana. The eight gate keepers are Indra, Agni, Yama, Nirriti, Varuna, Vayu, Kubera and Ishana.
5. This temple is managed by the Archeological Survey of India by collecting entry feet tickets to maintain such a huge temple and huge Garden. This is the only temple in Bhubaneswar for which an entrance fee is charged.
Temple Visiting timings:
Morning 08:00 to Evening 05:00
25 INR for Indian adults and 300 INR for Foreign touristsWritten June 13, 2022
- This is a very nice temple situated in nayapalli square Bhubaneswar this is a temple of lord Jagannath the ambience is great and very peacefulWritten November 30, 2019
- The world Cup Hockey is my Best experience in Kalinga Stadium. It is The Best in Asia and Proud of ODISHA.Written March 26, 2020
- This historical monument seems to be given less importance than it deserves. Crowd was less but the place is really worth a visit and maintained well which may be because of less crowd.Written March 15, 2022
- The dam is a good short hike for nature lovers. It's really very scenic view and really tasty dahi bada aloo dum.Written March 2, 2020
- We visited this place in Dec 2021 - while visiting bhubnashwar.
Its 30-45 mins by Auto rickshaw.
place was bit crowded during our visit time.
you can get lot of snacks options on the entrance of the stupa - there is a market place.
If you like - you can buy some souveniers for friends and family too.
Note - there is limited Mobile network on the entrance side of stupa.Written September 10, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Bhubaneswar
- The best day trips from Bhubaneswar according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Private Excursion to Puri from Bhubaneswar
- Day Trip to Puri (Guided Private Sightseeing Experience from Bhubaneswar)
- Day Trip to Konark (Guided Private Sightseeing Experience from Bhubaneswar)
- Bhubaneswar city tour & Konark Sun Temple in private car with guide
- Bhubaneshwar city tour in a private car with professional guide
Bhubaneswar Attractions Information
|Number of Reviews||6,881|
|Number of Photos||4,907|
|Local Time||Tuesday 5:19 AM|