Top Attractions in Thekkady
What travelers are saying
- Entry into Gavi starts at Angamoozhy check post, from where you have to enter before 11 am. The drive through the forest is an exhilarating experience that lasts for around 5-6 hours, all the way to the Vandiperiyar checkpost. There’s nothing in particular to do at Gavi unless you book for for packages provided by KFDC beforehand, and will consist of plantation visits, jungle safari, etc. If they had some activities that can be provided on-arrival, I would have given a five star rating (I really wish I could do the Jungle safari). There are also a number of views, plant and animal wildlife whilst on the way to Gavi. Overall a great experience!Written September 17, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We are group of 34pax has come to Thekkady for our yearly vacation.
We planned to do elephant safari which is one of the unique experiences in Thekkady to do .
The staff has guided us to reach the location, since the Google map takes us different way.
The place is maintained very well and they have cardamom and other spice cultivation.
Washroom is there which is most important for the Travellers. They have a small restaurant which serve small refreshments.
They have totally 3 elephants and all are healthy, we have taken ride of 30mits which cost 500 per person (which slightly expensive) and for the kids also the same price., Anyways the team and the ambiance is really good and appreciated their hospitality.Written July 2, 2022
- We were looking to visit a spice plantation which was non commercial and less crowded. We came across Benny and his Green Park spice garden in Thekkady. Even though the area was not very big like other commercial plantations, the knowledge we got from Benny was simply amazing. It was almost like an in-depth botany class with so much information about Indian spices and ayurveda. Benny has hundreds of different types of spices, fruits, medicinal plants and even vegetables. Our kids enjoyed it thoroughly. It was a complete self sustainable farm.Written April 5, 2022
- Must do if you visit Thekkady. Would suggest to take the morning or evening ride for this, as more chances of spotting animals during these times. The boats are well kept, the rides are soothing, and the rangers tell the stories about the lakes during the trip.
We spotted a lot of Bisons, Elephants, Deers and many bird species. This is a unique way to experience the forest from inside.Written March 27, 2022
- One has to go to the pickup point and purchase tickets for the Bus Trip (to the Ferry point). Boat trip is scheduled multiple times in a day but best visited during the early hours or the last one in the evening. Tickets are available both Online and in the counter. Entire Boat Trip is ~ 1.5 hrs and one has to be very lucky to spot any animals. We didn't spot any, apart from few birds. Overall experience was underwhelming, infact the bus ride to the Ferry point was more adventurous. There is nothing much to see apart from the lake.Written April 16, 2022
- We enjoyed very much the boating. The staff was very helpful and helped us to catch some photos.
The Green Walk was nice, but we could only hear the elephants, we did not see themWritten April 17, 2020
- It was a nice boat trip through the Waters in the morning hours. We could spot some animals at a distance, but the journey was enjoyable.
We liked that the staff was very strict and ensured that everyone wore the Life-jackets and nobody was allowed to move around.Written March 9, 2020
- We watched both shows, the kalari arts and kathakali. Honestly, we haf low expectations as we didn't know what to expect. However, both the shows were quite exciting. The kalari show would race your heart as you watch the performers do their dangerous routines. The kathakali show wad unexpectedly funny in the first half. The later half was more of a story telling performance which is true of the art form. I believe, the show organizer have adapted the format to suit the casual, multi cultural audience that comes for the shows.
The venue itself is a bit traditional. Expect the company of your dear forest friends, the mosquitoes.
Overall, well worth the time and the moneyWritten January 31, 2020
- The eco park at the view point was quite an experience! A visit is a must to this site. Not very far too.Written May 12, 2022
- Mullaperiyar Dam is spread across quite a large area. Nice place to relax in the cool breeze blowing across the waterbody.Written September 28, 2018
- Even thought we visited after the main harvest season, there were plenty of plants still available to look at.
Our guide was so wonderful and really knew her stuff.
We got to smell & taste a lot of different spices/ fruits.
Absolutely worth it!Written April 4, 2019
- good place to know about the spices, various medicinal trees & a tree house good for kids to enjoy. only thing we felt the oils & spices were a bit costlier but otherwise good place to be in.Written October 29, 2019
- Mangala Devi Temple is one of the famous temples in this zone. The architecture is a old one and lot of devotees visit this place.Written September 28, 2018
- if you are searching for authentic and scientific information on ayurveda - must visit.Good natural environment and well explained by the accompaning guide.Selected wellness products are availableWritten February 17, 2019
- The waterfall can be watched, but one can't enter as it's fenced. So can only see from distance. Be careful of the monkeys aroundWritten May 18, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Thekkady
- The best day trips from Thekkady according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Highlights Of South India With Luxury Accomodation
- Explore The Rustic Life Of Thekkady With Lunch
- Visit to an Organic Farm in Cumbum Valley with Bullock Cart ride
- Explore The Rustic Life Of Thekkady
- Best Workation Packages
- The most popular things to do in Thekkady with kids according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Yodha Cultural Village Thekkady
- Green Park Ayurvedic & Spices Plantation
- Mudra Cultural Centre
- Elephant Junction
- Kadathanadan Kalari & Navarasa Kathakali