Types of Attractions
What travelers are saying
- Beautifully renovated naval museum, with four or five floors of displays with full-size historical caiques; excellent historical narrative of Ottoman naval history from 15th-century to present. Wall texts and labels in Turkish and English. Accessible by ferry (Beşiktaş), as well as by bus.Written June 7, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I would not have thought I would enjoy a military museum as much as I did, but this is something I consider a must see if you're in the city for as much as a week and can make the time. While one has to overlook much of the glorifying rhetoric of museum label text, there truly is a lot to learn about Ottoman and Turkish history, and there are so many fascinating original objects on display. Everything from the history of stirrups to the history of marching bands is addressed and even this pacifist found it all illuminating, One thing that should not be missed in the military band performance (I think this is daily at 3 pm). We barely got there in time for it (the performance space is pretty buried in this vast structure so don't show up at the entrance right before start time!), but I am so glad we caught it. The music, uniforms and the entire performance is like something from another world.Written August 7, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A very interesting place with a range of older aircraft, models and uniforms. All information is in English and Turkish. Entry price was 7TL for adults and kids free. An extra charge applies if you want to take photographs. Small but perfectly functional cafe and shopWritten February 17, 2016This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Out by the old airport, so a bit away from the centre. Outside they have just about every plane used in Turkey since WW2. Mostly military, but some civil. The indoor exhibition area was not open which was disappointing and not clear from the website.Written April 12, 2022
- Here you can see the history of turkish naval military power during old ages with the different type of weapons they used during their warsWritten February 22, 2020
- Good collection of small boats. Extensive collection of diving helmets. On par with some of the Great Lakes Maritime MuseumsWritten November 12, 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Istanbul
- These are the best places for kid-friendly military museums in Istanbul:See more military museums for kids in Istanbul on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly military museums in Istanbul:See more budget-friendly military museums in Istanbul on Tripadvisor