- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
11 places sorted by traveler favorites
What travelers are saying
- I’m an Eisenhower fan. I think he had a lot of integrity, and despite being a multi-talented military genius, he strove for peace.
I’ve read his most comprehensive biographies, so this museum didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know. But it’s well organized, not overwhelming. It works hard to break Ike’s expansive and impressive life and career into small, important, but easy to digest sections.
They have some awesome artifacts. Many of Ike and Mamie’s personal effects, even a piece of their wedding cake! Ike’s uniforms. Personal documents. Also does a great job of explaining WWII and Ike’s presidency.
In addition to the museum and library, there is also the “place of meditation,” which houses Ike’s final resting place, as well as Mamie’s and a son’s.
This museum hits the highlights. Doesn’t address the complexities (like Ike’s long time affair). But it’s a great supplement and full of wonderful artifacts.
Please note the boyhood home is currently closed for renovations, hoping to open in the fall of 2022, and the library and visitor center is still closed.
And the town of Abilene is quirky and interesting.
Worth a stop on a road trip or as part of a weekend getaway.Written August 9, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We loved the Seelye mansion & the Eisenhower Museum. Both are a “Must see” when in Abilene, Kansas. We especially enjoyed the tour guides Terry & Michael at the Seelye mansion.Written August 14, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Recreated a childhood visit with my grandchildren.I was about the age of my granddaughter. The little guys, one was 6 and two were 4(not twins but cousins who are just 2 months apart) They really enjoyed the gun fight and we went to the salon for the Cancan show. Everyone was so friendly and engaging with our grandchildren. The Carousel was a big hit and we also enjoyed the museums So much history.Written August 16, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Having owned a greyhound, I had always wanted to go to the hall of fame. It was a very interesting place with lots of information on the sport and its history. My favorite part was being greeted by two beautiful friendly greyhounds. If you have any interest at all, you should swing by and visit. Free admission and it relies on donations. It is across the street from the Eisenhower presidential library.Written May 7, 2022
- Our kids enjoy riding the carousel - the five year old most recently did so on a field trip - it's fun to see the outside buildings as well as walking through the interior of the museum.Written May 24, 2021
- Saw "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" (hence the title of this review!) Came to Abilene on a road trip and decided to see the show because we'd never seen it before. Community theater so wasn't sure what to expect. But, with community prices we were happy to support the arts - and we are so glad we did. This gem of a theater cleverly combines professional actors with local talent (hello young Woodstock! and I noticed Music Man did the same) to create a delightful professional production. No bad seats in the place. I highly recommend getting one of the Monster cookies. Oh-- and we happened to hit the show that included a cabaret afterwards. So, you might want to look for which show includes that bonus.Written August 21, 2021
- Our grandson loved this place. He got to pick out chocolate to take home to share with his family. I loved that this place made him smile.Written June 24, 2022
- I visited in the early sunrise hours as part of a run-cation and cross-country trip. Not knowing what to expect as I ran along the roads of Abilene (2 miles south of I-70), I stumbled upon this little gem! It is the perfect little preservation of Old West history. Over a dozen buildings (rail station, hotel, shops, small buildings, a cemetery, etc) from the mid-19th century adorn the old Abilene town area. There are info placards that explain the history, as well as relevance of this location. Theres's also a staffed information center and gift shop.
A definite stop on a cross-county journey if you want to stretch the legs.Written August 17, 2020
- Ok are stay at the hotel we stoped to do some bowling. First when we got there no people at the desk and only like 3 small groups there. The floors were very uneven so do not recommend professional bowlers. But it was a fun and funny adventure.Written June 10, 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Abilene
- The most popular things to do in Abilene with kids according to Tripadvisor travelers are: See all kid friendly things to do in Abilene on Tripadvisor