Popular things to do
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Hiking Trails
- Full-day Tours
- Nature & Wildlife Areas
- 4WD Tours
- Hiking Tours
- Kayaking Tours
- Historic Sites
- Self-guided Tours
- Photography Tours
- Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Helicopter Tours
- Historical Tours
- Likely to Sell Out
- Top Picks
- State Parks
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Shows, Concerts & Sports
- Specialty Museums
- Weddings & Honeymoons
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Art Galleries
- Multi-day & Extended Tours
- Special Offers
- Shopping Tours
- Yoga Classes
Top Attractions in Kauai
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- If you've ever questioned if it was worth going...just do it. We planned to only go for an hour but ended up staying for 4! It was such a beautiful location, the waves were fantastic, and my kiddos had an amazing time. Will definitely go again before we leave for the week!
The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because there isn't a place to clean off that we could find near the parking lot so we ended up going back to our condo sandy and uncomfortable.Written September 25, 2022
- Epic hike - book your permit in advance & pre-organize camping gear if you're doing the full trail & be careful!This is an epic hike! You need to pre-book your permit for entry on the Hawaiian government website (& for access to most national parks in Hawaii) as well as the only bus (Ubers/Taxi's don't go into the park). A handy note, while they can't guarantee you a spot on the next bus if you miss the time you book (all bookings are time-specific) you got on "stand-by" for the next one & can take any spare seats.
Also get your camping gear in advance - the local store has stopped renting tents but their website states otherwise, my friend & I spent a very wet night under a tarp, 'twas brilliant. Kauai is one of the wettest places on earth - be prepared for rain even if google tells you otherwise.
MORBID NOTE: Someone fell from crawlers ledge the day we went, we found out the following day from passing hikers the person broke their leg & while many blogs say 'no record of people dying from the ledge' locals are happy to regale you with stories of the frequent deaths from the ledge - apparently it can "take days" to recover the bodies. Which makes sense, there's no phone signal & tour boat operators that happen to be in the area are the best chance at a quick recovery. It's no joke. But also pay attention to the signs for the beaches & streams - there's lots of rain and the surf is deadly, apparently water is the most common cause of death on these hikes - so be very very careful, people die more than I realized before coming! Is it worth it? Only if you don't die!Written September 29, 2022
- We LOVE the peaceful snorkeling of this beach and saw some cool fish and crabs. Water is still and warm, and there's showers to wash off when you're done.Written September 25, 2022
- This was one of most beautiful waterfalls I have ever see. It is so nice to get up close, hike behind, swim in the water around it.
You can do a little cliff jump in between the two falls if you like.Written September 25, 2022
- There are two lookout to see the spectacular and peaceful views of Kalalau Valley. First is Kalalau Lookout and the second down the road is Pu’u O Kila Lookout. The second lookout is where the trails lead off into the mountains and more views. Sometimes the views are obscured due to being in the clouds. Patience is often necessary.Written September 5, 2022
- The rum tasting host was the sweetest person ever! She remembered every names and city they came from. Her drink mixers was phenomenal. She treated us like family. Words can’t express how great she is.Written September 26, 2022
- Interesting lots of information from conductor. Very knowledgeable liked that he petted the only horseWritten September 29, 2022
- Steep uphill. We took the East trail. There is also access by West trail or South. Go for East or West. Amazing Views from the peak. Not much of a jungle trip, a bit dryer on this hike.Written September 2, 2022
- We enjoyed touring the beautiful gardens and tasting and learning about chocolate. You could say it was paradise!Written September 24, 2022
- Respect the Turtles people ! Covid left the beach empty. Now turtles come each night to rest. They feel safe. Beautiful beach but respect , keep your distance .
Some kids tried to sit on turtle's. Kids swim near the turtles .
Poor volunteers do their best job. People shine lights at them after being asked “ not to”.
I’m so afraid this beautiful experience will end.
It’s a great beach.Written September 29, 2022
- This is a gem. We went in the late afternoon and the crowds were dying down. Even then, we had to park at the golf course and walk in. The hike was surprisingly step and slippery in some places.
There is a cool cliff jumping place right at the base of the hike down, Queens Bath is about 100 yards further along.Written September 25, 2022
- Beautiful, vast, and definitely not cozy. You can't swim here, it's far too dangerous. There's no coral reefs protecting you from the vast ocean like at some of the other beaches. There's one death a week due to water incidents, 75% are tourist. It's so hot, and not to be able to bathe in the ocean after such a long walk in (19 mins, steep, dirt path) made this beach not so great for me during my valuable vacay time. I wouldn't recommend it.Written September 23, 2022
- We rented bikes from our hotel in Kapaa and cycled north to the end of the path. Beautiful scenery along a well built gently sloping path. There are frequent shelters along the route with roof, table and benches. The path is separate from the road but shared by cyclists and walkers, so stay aware for other path usersWritten September 28, 2022
- Make reservation far in advance. Touch hike and totally worth it if you are physically able to scale rocks and hike up and down elevations on slippery muddy trails. You will have to cross a river at least 5 times and will get wet doing that. Wear proper shoes that are sturdy and can get wet. Most beautiful hike ever. Swim in the cool water pool below the falls. It is 8-9 miles round trip. If that is too much for you then just go 2 miles to the beach and hang out there before hiking back. Great views/jungle.Written September 2, 2022
- We got there early and got a parking spot in the lot and got a nice spot under the trees. We were hoping to snorkel but it was way too choppy and then it began to rain. When it didn't let up we went to Anini and it was calm and clear.Written September 1, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Kauai
- The best day trips from Kauai according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Ni'ihau and Na Pali Coast Snorkel Boat Tour
- Na Pali Coast Kauai Snorkel and Sail
- Half-Day Kayak and Waterfall Hike Tour in Kauai with Lunch
- Intimate Waimea Canyon Half Day Eco Fun Tour from South Kauai
- Secret Kauai Tour