- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
15 places sorted by traveler favorites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travelers are saying
- We were staying at the Royal Kona Resort. While the resort has been mostly renovated it is still has a way to go. The dining and bar area of Don's is still a fun place, great views, good food and good drinks. It is a bit pricey for what you get, but consider the convenience and view you have. We had a dinner and a breakfast here. The burger and Caesar's salad were both very good. For breakfast we had the Royal Sunrise and the Loco Moco. The ham was just 4 slim slices of ham lunch meat. The burger patty on the Loco Moco was about 1/2 pound--that meal could have fed both of us.
The wait staff was working very hard and have to walk a distance to get the food then carry it back to the seating area. It seems there could be a more efficient way to bring the food to the wait staff and get it to the customers faster. Many people seemed to have the same experience we did--our food was not hot as it took so long from preparation to our table.Written May 25, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This is a fun and friendly place to have happy hour while you dangle your toes in the sand and watch for the Green Flash at sunset! They do offer a very limited happy hour special drink and pupu menu which stretches your vacation entertainment dollar.
The bright shining SuperStars of On The Rocks?
The young server, Nick made us feel like family and was very attentive, polite and professional.
And Tricia and Carina are the hostesses with the lovely, sharing open hearts!
We thoroughly enjoyed 3.5 hours of drinks, pupus and comaraderie and we were sad to depart, but we will be back again before we leave the island.Written July 22, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Good place to get out of the rain, current movies, and you can dine-in! What is there more to love in life?Written February 21, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Derrick was a very attentive and personable bartender, who made us feel welcome immediately!! Drinks were strong and plentiful!! Karaoke was enjoyable !!Written July 20, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I’ve been to the bar three time. Sit at the bar. Everyone seems very friendly. I was a visitor and it appears that all the others know each other. Lots of joking and having fun. Appears to be pet friendly place. Saw dogs and birds in the bar. Nice place to get out of the sun, visit, have a cold beer. They have WiFi.Written December 1, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- we had our first drink and meal here after checking in to Mauna Lani. Drinks were good and dinner was just ok. It was super quite and not busy when we were there but it looks like when in season there is live music.Written May 27, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We wanted an easy bar to watch a football game at and have a drink before heading to the airport. My husband chose this place. At first, I was hesitant on going inside thinking all heads would turn wondering why these tourists are walking into this local dive bar. Well, it was the opposite. Super friendly people at the bar and behind the bar. We even met the owner and had a nice chat with him too. The bartender made me an excellent margarita that wasn't too sweet. We will definitely stop in the next time we're in Kona or on our way to the airport.Written January 18, 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Where do I? It was a few weeks ago when I was here, so I guess it left a lasting impression. I don't usually write about anything this long after it happened. Yea, I feel I needed to write a few words about me being here. So Pahoa is kind of a hippy town I guess - I don't know what else to call it or if I should call it anything. I visited the Big Island for three days. I flew into Hilo, and my AirBnB was halfway between there and here. I came to Pahoa you know trying, and it worked out pretty much - I mean like quality issues. People on the street laidback and friendly enough I guess. I went into this place and talked with a bunch of people. Bartender pretty awesome guy in dreads and explained all about kava while he was making it. Then a kava ritual ceremony thing because it was my first time. Bartender knew what he was doing. The kava really didn't taste like anything, but I'm pretty sure it did something like what they say it's supposed to do. I started talking with this other guy who I think said he was roommates with the bartender - big guy like I think 60. He was alright and said some things I still remember and kind of think about. So I guess I'm writing this review now and wanting you to know I liked being here and felt like I belong here even though I don't look like I do.Written March 2, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I thought Pahoa was a sweet, quaint town. We visited The Big Island to see if that was where we wanted to move. Well, the answer is YES! We are in the process now. So laid back, like living back in the 70s. We loved Pahoa! The little Market was wonderful. Had the best sub I have ever had. Can't wait to get there!Written December 13, 2016This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Went to Karmas Sportsbar the other week, not for drinks and dancing... But for Japanese Shabu Shabu. So if your expecting a review on the Nightclub... Sorry.
Shabu Shabu is a japanese soup type dish consisting of a selection of beef, fish, or pork that you throw together and cook at your table. You have a choice of 3 types of broths and there are additional side ingredients that you can add. This is the first time I tried this dish and I must say it was good. Service was friendly, fast and the price was reasonable... If you are going there remember this is a sports bar and nightclub first, Shabu Shabu is served only on selected nights.Written August 2, 2016This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Basic bar. Live music on weekends and sometimes weekdays for special events. There is really nothing in this bar that would make you feel like you were in Hawaii. Has a dive bar feel, but it is very clean. It is in a small shopping mall on a road with a speed limit of 25 because the street has 2 local schools on the same drag. There is only one pool table and a dart board.
Overall, if you just want to grab a drink and unwind after work, this is your place. BTW, no dress code. Yeah baby!Written April 21, 2015This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I had ordered a slider and a hamburger at the Lagoon Grill. The worst hamburger I ever tasted coming from the Hilton a hamburger frozen patty? It wasn't fresh meat? I could not believe that the Hilton had frozen hamburger patties? I ate it because I was hungry. I gave my dog the slider and she wouldn't eat it? I guess that's how bad it was.Written March 20, 2015This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This is a nicely appointed restaurant and bar adjacent to the pool area overlooking the ocean. There is a bar-type luncheon menu and a dinner menu starting in the evening. Service is mostly Hawaiian-prompt, so us folks from the mainland may find it a tad less attentive as locals do not have the habit of constantly watching your table. Servers transplanted from the mainland tend to be more professional. Expect a variety of salads, sandwiches as found in local cafes. For something light, we recommend the shrimp summer roll with sweet chili dipping sauce. Although on one occasion we found almost no shrimp, but whatever as we are on vacation! Enjoy your speciality cocktail and view the scene.Written August 20, 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Angry bartender who yells at there customers and says and makes comments like“ I don’t want to lose my license put your mask on, calm down I know what I’m doing I’m the owner and has been doing this for 15 years ... it’s been like that ever since the bar has opened -when someone asked nicely about the Christmas stockings hanging around the bar. His got no empathy, professionalism and appreciation.Written December 12, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Island of Hawaii
- These are the best places for couples seeking bars & clubs in Island of Hawaii:See more bars & clubs for couples in Island of Hawaii on Tripadvisor