A group of 10 of us decided to do the kayak tour down the river, and had a fantastic time. We met near the casino and were presented with twin kayaks, paddles and life vests. So far so good. Gloves, wellies and torches - er - what's going on?
Our (organising) friend hadn't told us what we'd let ourselves in for and after a few km of gentle river we stopped to explore a storm drain. Most of us opted to just get our trainers wet but some donned the boots. The tunnel was cool relief from the summer heat and we were soon climbing iron ladders through the drainage system, arriving above ground in a very random location. This bit was optional, no one is going to force you into a dark wet tunnel!
After returning to the kayaks we continued to another tunnel to explore, and then had a short lunch break on an island. After that it was a gentle meander down the river to the The Rope Swing.
This is suspended from a motorway bridge and requires you to step off a 15m concrete pier wearing a harness, where you'll swing down low over the river. Once you stop swinging you'll get hoisted back up to the bridge.
As most of our group were either riggers or professional industrial climbers, the set up got a discrete but very critical inspection by several sets of eyes and was considered safe and well thought out. And the jump was breathtaking.
All in all a really fun morning of activities, well run, and well worth the money!
• Don't turn up drunk - save it for afterwards.
• The tour provide a couple of big dry bags, but try to sort something for your phone.
• Wear shoes you don't mind getting wet.
• Lunch is provided, but bring water and snacks.
• Wear a hat and sunscreen if it's hot.
• The tunnels and swing are cool but optional. Absolutely no pressure from the guide.
• If it's raining (or forecast) the drains are off limits.
• Allow 3.5-4 hours for this, including the free ride back to town.