Historic Sites • Religious Sites
Top Attractions in Esztergom
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Esztergom Basilica is enormous in size and grandeur. Its dome, which is presently undergoing restorations, shines in the sun from miles away up and down the river. The inside clearly demonstrate why Esztergom is viewed as the religious center of Hungary. It is magnificent . Even for persons who don’t like/visit churches, the views from this Basilica of the Danube Bend area are breathtaking.
I actually had the fortune of seeing the Basilica during the day on a private tour, only then to pass it three days later and night…and that was a spectacular sight!
Definitely schedule a couple of hours away from Budapest to view church or, if only cruising the river close by, make sure that you keep your eyes out for it…you can’t miss it…and shouldn’t!Written November 13, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Status of King Saint Stephen is right next to the Basilica in Esztergom, a short walk from the rear entrance to the chruch. The statue itself is interesting and modern…but it’s the views around the statue of the river below that really commands attention. If you’re in Esztergom and visiting the Basilica, give yourself and extra 45 minutes to walk over/back to the statue and see the amazing views. You’ll be glad you did!Written November 13, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It is definitely worth visiting.
Lots of interesting information, entertaining
In Esztergom don't miss itWritten August 8, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Sure you need to be interested -- but you can see some of outstanding alatarpieces of XIV and XV century and other christian painting even some of italian painters
you'll find the museum down of the ill of the basilica -- check when it's openWritten April 14, 2019
- We didn't want to join a guided tour, so we got a leaflet with a detailed map and information about the Royal Castle and the Museum. It was interesting and correct, we were satistfied with it. If you are interested in history it's a must-see attraction. You can see the "foundation of the Hungarian Kingdom's and the Hungarian state's cradle". You can walk back into tha past and visit eg. the Royal Chapel, or St.Stephen's Room, where he was born - according to the legends. One part of upstairs is closed, (under restauration). It's next to the Basilic, so you can find easily.Written August 27, 2020
- Vizivaros Parish Church is a nice shiny white church in the downtown of Esztergom just a hundred meters from the tiny Kossuth bridge.Written December 7, 2021
- It's good to visit this place because you can get a taste of History. The Djami was built in the 17th century. Mill Bastion is from 1541-42., Velprech -Tower: 1239, Battlement walkway, Suleiman Stone. My favourite is the recostructed Renaissance water.machine. But you can enjoy modern spirit, too.: Danube terrace with magnificent view and cafe, restaurant. It's worth a visit.Written August 10, 2020
- Just a quick walk from the main part of town and close to the Basilica. Well maintained gardens around the statue. Worth a visit.Written May 8, 2022
- It has stunning views of the surrounding area. Very good place to just chill and enjoy the view. The chapel is in really good condition.Written June 1, 2020
- When you are staying in Esztergom through a hot summer day and long for a cool picnic near the water, this small lake can be a good choice. The beach is nice, clean, well maintained and not crowded. I used to go there with my family (husband and kids) and we are always having a good relaxing time, enjoy swimming in the water, sunbathing or just resting under the tall trees. When you look aroud, you can enjoy the view to the nearby Pilis mountains. The beach is equipped with small cafeterias, so visitors can buy something to eat or drink (prices affordable) . Admission is cheap : 400 HUF/ 1,32 EUR for a full day ticket.Written August 17, 2017
- It is a beautiful church on your way to the downtown. It is a Roman Catholic church in the neoclassical style in the southern part of Esztergom. Construction began in 1828 and was completed in 1837.Written May 16, 2022
- Of the places I visited, Esztergom is the city I like best. It is rich in history and boasts many eateries. The town center is charming and walking along the river is sheer pleasure.Written June 7, 2022
- The Szechenyi Square in Esztergom is a cool nice place. It is adorable and you can see many beautiful buildings.Written November 26, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Esztergom
- The best day trips from Esztergom according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Danube Bend: Day trip from Budapest
- Budapest Danube Bend Full-Day Tour with Lunch
- Private All Day Danube Bend Tour From Budapest with lunch, entrance fee, cruise
- Danube Bend Full-Day Private Tour From Budapest
- Private Danube Bend Experience with a comfortable air conditioned car
Esztergom Attractions Information
|Local Time||Wednesday 5:43 PM|