Natural History Museums • Nature & Wildlife Areas
Popular things to do
- Walking Tours
- Tours & Sightseeing
- Top Picks
- Outdoor Activities
- Cultural & Theme Tours
- Day Trips & Excursions
- Food, Wine & Nightlife
- Private Sightseeing Tours
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Ports of Call Tours
- Cruises, Sailing & Water Tours
- Air, Helicopter & Balloon Tours
- Multi-day & Extended Tours
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Likely to Sell Out
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Museum Tickets & Passes
- Special Offers
Top Attractions in Hudson River Valley
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Plan on more than 3 hours for your trip. A great place to learn about the history of NY state. There so much to see and read, just plan enough time. And it was free admission, just donations accepted, usually $5/person is normal!!Written April 17, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We had an excellent tour full of information on just about everything on this vessel. I forgot the young mans name but...he was very passionate, which made more exciting!Written August 16, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What a wonderful building. We spent a few hours here, through security screening due to it being a place of work, then greeted by a kind lady who provided a map. We caught a lift to the 4th floor and worked our way down. Beautiful architecture, fascinating exhibits, and the staircases, just wow. The corridor with a painting of each Govenor and a little info about each was fascinating. Lovely library. There are guided tours but we enjoyed pottering around by ourselves.Written July 22, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is someplace that should be on your bucket list when in Tarrytown NY. Dark Shadows movie was filmed here.Written August 15, 2022
- Beautiful day in poughkeepsie. Bridge and area was very well kept and nice environment. Nice vibe and scenery. Restauraunts, childrens museaum, free admission to the bridge.Written August 17, 2022
- Tom, our guide provided a wonderful tour of the street and historic homes. His breadth and depth of knowledge was excellent, answering all of our questions. Definitely worth a visit.Written August 11, 2022
- Absolutely one of the most fabulous scenic places in the country. I've been rock climbing there since the late 1970s and have learned about many special locations. Lots of hiking, swimming, mountain biking, xc skiing, lodging and general adventuring.
You can purchase a day pass for hiking or climbing at the parking lots. You can travel farther
There are orchards, a rail trail for hiking/biking, wineries and even a skydiving school nearby.
Travel west on 299 from town, cross the river and turn right onto Mtn Rest Rd to go to the Mohonk Mtn House Hotel. Or continue west on 299 to 44/55 and turn north, hard left around the hairpin turn, then park on the right after the steel bridge (for climbing/hiking). Continue west to the Peter's Kill area for climbing and hiking. Continue west to Lake Minnewaska State Park for hiking, XC skiing, mtn biking, swimming at Lake Minnewaska or Lake Awosting. Beautiful views while hiking, biking, skiing.Written August 10, 2022
- We had a really great time aboard the Pride of the Hudson! It was a beautiful day weather wise & the crew were all so friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back again to take this 2 hour tour down to West Point and back. Learned a lot and enjoyed the beautiful views!Written August 18, 2022
- A world within itself. A unique history to an island in the Hudson River. The ferry drivers were knowledgeable and friendly. The guides were full of information. The trails were on the harder side. You need good shoes for this. The climb to the top is real. You need to be able to climb the stairs to the top from the ferry.Written August 16, 2022
- It was so pretty getting to the outlooks and taking a break to take it all in! I’m pretty new to hiking mountains like these, so it was a good experience and now I feel like I know what not being and what to bring for next time! I just advise you for beginners make sure you wear some kind of hiking shoe- boot/sneaker with some type of traction that are non-slip, because I didn’t come prepared 🤦♀️ and wore just sneakers and had a hard time not slipping. Easy instructions following the path, there are maps just in case! Also make sure your backpack is not too heavy pack light, because it will weigh you down!Written August 2, 2022
- This is an outstanding museum. A wonderful and eclectic mix of historic documents and artifacts, interactive exhibits, short films, newsreel footage and audio (speeches and radio broadcasts). Definitely plan on spending a full day, particularly if you include a tour of the house. You do not want to miss any part of the museum.
We also toured the home, and, the next day, we visited Val-Kill (Eleanor Roosevelt's cottage) and the Vanderbilt Estate. All were worth seeing, but if you only have one day, spend it at the Presidential Library and Museum.Written August 12, 2022
- There was a lot to see and do from this surprisingly little museum. Started out with a little history, native Americans, Henry Hudson etc. but quickly branched into the steamboat history, the Erie Canal, industrial archaeology in the Hudson Valley, the ecology, recreation like boating and fishing, the ice harvesting industry, and even stuff that is threatening the river nowadays like climate change and invasive species. There was even a great little gift shop and boat building workshop. Outside in the yard there was a big tugboat too. We took the boat ride out to the Rondout lighthouse, enjoying the views, the breezes, the sunshine and the tour of the lighthouse. Such fun!Written August 12, 2022
- Kykuit combines a grand estate, fascinating people, lush gardens, and an impressive classical and modern art collection into an outstanding experience that is well worth the price of admission. We opted for the three hour Grand Tour option and were not disappointed. Our guide skillfully combined comprehensive knowledge of four generations of the Rockefeller family with a multitude of details and nuances of the house and grounds. While pictures of the interior of the house were not permitted, there was more than enough opportunity to photograph the pristine gardens, pavilions and stunning views of the Hudson River and the New Jersey Palisades. I came away thoroughly impressed by a family that seemed to realize that their wealth brought with it a responsibility to use it to benefit as many as possible.Written July 17, 2022
- This is an excellent art museum located close to the heart of Beacon.(It is roughly a 15 minute walk from Main Street)
The spaces are massive, and like a lot of contemporary art, the exhibits are very hit and miss. Nonetheless, this is a first rate museum and well worth a visit.
One tip: Make sure to visit the small upstairs area. It houses a terrific collection of Louise Bourgeois sculptures.Written August 5, 2022
- This is a fine gallery located on Main Street. It features decorative glass-nice examples of craftsmanship. It is well worth a visit.Written August 5, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Hudson River Valley
- The best day trips from Hudson River Valley according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Circle Line: Bear Mountain Cruise
- Full-Day Walkway Over the Hudson & Winery Tour in the Hudson Valley
- Storm King Day Trip from NYC
- BEST Albany Tulip Day Tour from Boston
- Albany Mother’s Day Tulip Festival Day Tour