Top Attractions in Te Anau
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Drive from Queenstown to Milford Sound. Two lane roads with lots of curves and no shoulders. Vehicle turnouts occasionally. Plan for trip, stop in Te Anau fill car before leaving, closest town to Milford sound. Two hour drive from Te Anau to Milford sound, windy, two lane road, icy in spots. Lots of rest areas and viewing sites along the route. One lane bridges and tunnel before hairpin curves. We’ll worth the trip! Milford Sound is spectacular! Book cruise before arriving. There are several to choose from. Terminal is new with lots of space, beverages and snacks are available. We traveled on a sunny, crisp August day. Saw penguins and seals. Th views are breathtaking. We took the Pure Milford cruise. Not crowded, great seating and viewing areas. Boats all take the same routes. Our cruise boat was spacious, clean and seating really comfortable. The crew was helpful and nice. . Your was 2 hours.Written August 11, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Well what can I say it was just fantastic was out of this world so so good heaps of great photos great weather it was magical 2 nights from Manapouri in the Navigator Explorer to Doubtful Sound with Blake the skipper all the crew so good even the chef she cooked just the best meals only thing was we 4 put on a couple of kilo but hey its a holiday to be enjoyed alright we just loved itWritten September 22, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- An amazing experience. Informative from the start....and although I would normally feel claustrophobic in a cave system...for some reason I didn't. The glow worms are intriguing and the guides ensured we understood their life cycle and didn't damage them or their environmentWritten September 11, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Such a lovely national park, it is always amazing seeing the different places around New Zealand and seeing how the scenery always changed, Fiordland is very beautiful worth visiting over again, also many walks around this area.Written June 8, 2022
- We wandered around the lake as well as taking a cruise on the Lake. Absolutely stunning scenery. The south island at its best.Written June 28, 2022
- We were staying in TeAnau and did the section from Rainbow Reach Carlark to Moturau Hut. It was awesome, two bridge crossovers and an easy 13/14 km walk which took about 4 and a half hrs with plenty of stops to take on everything and get some photos. A few areas looked similar to some of the scenes in the Lord of the Rings and later found out that some were filmed along the section leading to the car park. Highly recommended.Written June 30, 2022
- Almost drove right by it! There is a little car park which has a footpath going around to the Chasm, a boarded walk over so you get a good view.Written February 3, 2021
- This is no ordinary NZ tramp. Tough because it does not have a normal track. Mostly rocks, streams, snow and everything in between. Best not to take young children because of the terrain. Just make sure you are fit and properly equipped. Good boots, nordic walking sticks, snacks, water bottle etc. Extraordinarily beautiful views along the way and right at the top, provided the weather is good on the day. So please check forecast before starting. So good luck.Written February 6, 2020
- Lovely sunny winters day to walk around and view native birds including Fiordland’s most special birds. We saw takahe were beautiful and clearly able to be seen. The kaka were talkative, it was fantastic to see this mountain parrot so close. Even better there was no entrance fee.Written September 8, 2022
- A great grade 2 ride with mostly gravel and 2 areas of single track one being 800m long the other about 600m.
Take some kai with you in case nothing is open in Manapouri and I recommend taking the wee signposted detours. There is a small section on the road, and when you exit the track this part isn't signposted so make sure you turn right, you then cross over the road again after a few Km onto a gravel road and back onto the track.
Following the water is mesmerising, however be prepared for some sandflies when you stop for breaks.Written May 5, 2022
- We were here a few months back and found the team very helpful with booking a couple of tours. Instructions were clear and we did what we wanted to without issue.. It wasn't particularly busy and all were good humoured.Written November 11, 2021
- We cycled through this park on the lake2lake cycle trail. It has lots on enclosures to keep predators out so that the birdlife could live there safely. Lots of signs with interesting facts about the native wildlife and region.
We couldn’t stop but what I saw looked worthy of another visit when we return.Written March 1, 2021
- A classic trail run (or walk) from the Control Gates in Te Anau and return. I continued up to Mt Luxmore summit and strongly recommended this for the amazing views.Written December 30, 2021
- I went for a walk later afternoon, there are so many walking tracks you could spend a couple of hours in there. There are also mountain bike tracks, however I didn't encounter any riders.
Lake Henry had wonderful reflections on it and there was an abundance of fungi to photograph as well as great views of the mountains if you climb to the top, it is not a significant climb.Written May 5, 2022
- A comprehensive display of vintage machinery and tractors, with working workshop - friendly staff and nominal entry fee.Written April 18, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Te Anau
- The best day trips from Te Anau according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Premium Milford Sound Small Group Tour, Cruise & Picnic Lunch from Queenstown
- Milford Sound Sightseeing Cruise with Scenic Round-Trip Flight from Queenstown
- Small Group, Award Winning, Full Day Milford Sound Experience from Queenstown
- Premium Milford Sound Small Group Tour, Cruise & Picnic Lunch from Te Anau
- Milford Sound Coach and Nature Cruise with Picnic Lunch from Queenstown