Popular things to do
- Day Cruises
- Shopping Malls
- 4WD Tours
- Bus Tours
- Day Trips
- Scuba Diving
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Half-day Tours
- City Tours
- Audio Guides
- Historical Tours
- Helicopter Tours
- Sporting Events
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Walking Tours
- Likely to Sell Out
- Top Picks
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Family Friendly
- Theme Parks
Top Attractions in Cairns
Admission tickets from $31.22
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- The Lagoon is a large open-air swimming centre located towards the southern end of the Esplanade (which is another fab resource for Cairns). Entry to the Lagoon is free and there are shallow and deeper areas of water to suit all ages. There are also areas of lawn for just sitting or lazing about. The Lagoon's water is clean and in Cairns's humidity it is a refreshing spot to cool down. Not surprisingly it is very popular - we found it a bit less crowded in the hours before lunch. Opportunities for diving or doing laps are very restricted! The change-rooms are also free and there are plenty of cafes nearbyWritten September 30, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Cairns Botanic Gardens is a magical place, very extensive with a central 'showpiece' in the Flecker Garden, a conservatory, large tracts of melaleuca and pandanus swamp forests that are traversed via boardwalks and tracks, and even a couple of lakes. The Visitor Centre is also good - helpful staff and a nice array of gifts for sale. And there is even an art gallery / performance space - The Tanks Art Centre. The gardens are some km from downtown Cairns: we visited by public transport which was cheap - bus 131 which runs every hour (though the tourist- info centre in town told us every half hour!) and a DiDi ride back). All up, the highlight for us was probably the beautifully maintained Flecker Garden, where there is an excellent circuit walk showcasing some remarkable trees (guided by colorful, informative brochure obtained from the Visitor Centre). The Conservatory with its carnivorous plants and its numerous colorful butterflies was another high point. But it was all good.Written September 30, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Fantastic little aquarium that the kids LOVE to visit as often as possible! Fun, engaging and interactive.Written September 28, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful walk through cairns, very scenic with boats and restaurants on the water. All the reef cruises go from here as wellWritten October 1, 2022
- Did the morning trip from Smithfield station to Kuranda on the train. I was pleased I paid extra for the gold class as it made the trip more relaxing with comfortable seats, great windows views and included some nibbles and drinks. A lovely experience with fantastic views enroute.Written September 26, 2022
- I loved walking along the Esplanade while in Cairns and one of the highlights for me was Muddies Playground. I can't say I've seen every adventure playground in Australia but I reckon Muddies must rank right up with the best. I was particularly impressed by all the shade (mostly from mature trees) and the great variety of fun activities that the kids could enjoy. A playground to let imaginations run free - just wish I was able to introduce my 4-year-old grandson to the place. He was far away in Sydney but he would have had a ball at Muddies.Written September 25, 2022
- For me this is the pick of the Falls near Cairns. Located between Cairns and Innesfail its an easy drive in and quite scenic. July August is harvesting time for the sugar cane, there is lots of activity with cane harvesting and cane transport by dedicated trains, really unique to North Queensland.
Josephine Falls will not disappoint, there are good toilet amenities there at the car park, with ample spaces. The walk to the fall through the forest is lovely. When you get to the falls, the left turns will take you to a few look out point, which are just beautiful, the right turn takes you to the base base, here you can relax and have a swim. Be mindful that the water is very Cool!! You get used to it pretty quickly. This Falls also has the natural rock slide, which is quite unique and very popular.
Note though the weather conditions in Cairn can change rapidly and the area can become unsafe, usually the local council will close of the swimming section when there is excessive rain causing flooding. If you are not sure there is a water level sign at the base of the water hole which is depicted with Green (Safe), Yellow (Caution) and Red (No Go) typical in the winter this waterfall is accessible unless there are unseasonable rains around.Written September 1, 2022
- We decided to drive ourselves and do a tour of the Atherton Tablelands and we had a great time.
We stopped for Devonshire tea at the Lake Barrine Teahouse - a quaint cafe with glorious scones!
We stopped at Yungaburra for a quick walk around and to try and spot platypus (no luck) before heading off on the waterfall tour. This was amazing - we did all 3 waterfalls and they were spectacular. The best one was definitely Millaa Millaa Falls - it was chilly but hubby (and many others) couldn't pass up the chance to dive in.
Definitely a well spent day but would recommend staying a night up there if you can!Written October 2, 2022
- Awesome and very very large collection of tanks, mobile guns, field guns & AA. Exhibits from pre WW2 through to 60s and 70s. A Firefly and the Tigers topped it off for me. Great work on the restorations. Friendly staff. highly recommend. Even the missus was impressed!!Written September 26, 2022
- We took the option on the ferry transfer only and as we we were on a full day option we were on the large ferry which takes about an hour an fifteen minutes to get to the island. It was a choppy day, so the skipper may have also gone slower to look after the passengers. We took took the option of a glass bottom boat tour, which was interesting and informative. Well recommend for those with small children or those who are not capable swimmers. This island has sandy beaches and was very clean. The food was pricey as you would expect, and not with many choices. That was until we discovered the pie oven. The snorkeling was very good and we even seen a lion fish. The bigger fish hide under the wharf but you need to be wary of incoming boats. Great day out.Written August 27, 2022
- its a cay - a large sand island on the great barrier reef. Went here as part of a reef cruise. Nice shallow waters to snorkel.Written May 20, 2022
- Thought this woud be way better if it had fresh meat and/or poultry or seafood.
The fruit/veg were good and well priced.Written September 13, 2022
- Great place to visit and learn about the history of Cairns and the significant people who have helped to shape it into what it is today.Written September 29, 2022
- It is just a short walk to the gorge. The walk is cemented so it's not the most pleasant walk in terms of authentic feeling tracks, but the gorge is absolute magic.Written May 23, 2022
- Typical of markets - lots of jostling for customers in the massage area -
Not too crowded during my several visits.
Food court could do with a few more stalls. A plastic container squashed full of as many varieties of food as you like is not my idea of dinner.
Overall it is OK - worth a look.Written September 2, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Cairns
- The best day trips from Cairns according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Great Barrier Reef Snorkeling and Diving Cruise from Cairns
- Cape Tribulation, Mossman Gorge, and Daintree Rainforest Day Trip from Cairns or Port Douglas
- Sunlover Reef Cruises Cairns Great Barrier Reef Experience
- Ocean Freedom Great Barrier Reef Personal Luxury Snorkel & Dive Cruise, Cairns
- Fitzroy Island Day Trip from Cairns
Cairns Attractions Information
|Number of Reviews||80,855|
|Number of Photos||48,230|
|Local Time||Tuesday 1:21 AM|