- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
4 places sorted by traveler favorites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travelers are saying
- It is probably the oldest clock tower in the Balkans and a reference mark of the locals, for centuries. It was constructed around 1753 (It is supposed that it was built by the Ottomans for commemorating the 300th anniversary of the Fall of Constantinople and the establishment of their empire). The building was in deteriorated condition for many decades but it has been restored, relatively, recently. It is being used as landmark, clock, a kind of museum and as Site of Specific Art. On the eastern wall one sign with Arabic inscription (Ottoman language) can be found. Allegedly, the red stains that can be seen (still) were created when an Ottoman felt down from the roof. The whole building has apart from the ground floor another 6 floors/levels that can be accessed by stairs. Some photos of the old town of Giannitsa, as well as signs with explanations and history can be seen. The unfortunate thing is that although it is a high building its purpose was not only to be a clock tower but also a war tower in times of need, therefore the "windows" and openings were made like that, reducing the view but helping the potential defenders. Thus, the view from there is limited. Entrance is free and a visit there is recommended.Written January 12, 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A rare monument of the Ottoman past of Greece, it helps you understand the importance of the city during that period. Together with the exhibit with the paintings of Edward Lear from the area in about 1850 they give a glimpse of the past. Very close to the tower clock.Written May 28, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This statue is amazing. It gives us the aportunity to learn Giannitsa history with only one visit. A Great idea of visiting for histrory-lovers.Written March 27, 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Giannitsa
- These places are best for sights & landmarks in Giannitsa:See more sights & landmarks in Giannitsa on Tripadvisor