- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
What travelers are saying
- Really lovely staff and best selection of ciders I'v found so far. Prices were more than fair too. If only it was my local!Written September 4, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This wonderful place is part of a huge stone building that formerly was a Maltings where beer festivals and the like took place.
I thought it had all closed but on moving back to Newton Abbot once more I found this amazing bar.
It has a huge array of craft beers, bitters, real ales, ciders and stouts plus more.
It’s filled with bottled beers on shelves so you can browse what’s there and either take it home or drink it in.
Essentially it’s like a shop and a lovely pub.
The prices are reasonable (I pay £3.50 for a great lager) and goes up to £14 a pint for some 15% stout. Probably not for the faint hearted.
You can buy in 1/3 and 1/2 pints too and having samples appears no problem.
For drivers and non-drinkers there is a range of products too.
It is limited opening at the moment, from Thursday to Saturday I believe. If it’s open there’s a sign on the pavement.
Great clientele and is a whole mix. Nothing too crowded or noisy.
When I went it was a bit chilly inside but not uncomfortable.
Friendly knowledgeable staff. Some limited snacks which suffice.
There is an outside area that backs onto the railway line. They occasionally have pizza nights I think.
Really lovely place and well worth a visit.Written February 17, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- After a visit to Newton Abbot the Railway was a convenient place for a last drink before catching the train home. The barmaid was friendly and the pub welcoming. Sadly no real cider on offer, but the local cider on tap was good.Written December 18, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- An excellent Xmas Party! Thanks yet again to Glenn & the team. We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening, a beautifully decorated room and excellent food. Thank you!!Written January 24, 2023
- HAve been to adult dace classes here for last 4 years. Its got a variety of classes, a cafe, nice dance areas, good facilities, sells the gear. Sensible pay as you go classes.Written July 3, 2019
- A beautiful old pub with a traditional menu typical of many pubs in the area but the difference is the food here is done exceptionally well! We had a perfect lunch; a simple home made vegetable soup and a smoked salmon and prawn starter;. Simple food but great quality salmon and prawns. My husband said the steak and kidney pudding is the best he has had, ever! The chef clearly is great at pastry, my goats cheese tart was encased in rich , crumbly, melt in the mouth pastry . Service from the two young ladies was extremely friendly and very efficient . We will definitely be back for more !Written June 22, 2021
- It does what it says on the menu ! Landlord could smile a bit more, but hey perhaps that part of the old pub image ! Good atmosphereWritten September 5, 2018
- A really welcoming local pub off the main drag, one of those places where you get talking to everyone. The one real ale available at the time was in excellent condition.
I can't give it more than 4 stars though because of the price of the bitter -- £3.70. Now I'm not from Devon so perhaps it's my inner northerner coming out, but for a pint of a widely-available national beer that seems steep.Written August 27, 2018
- First experience absolutely brilliant, host were fantastic and drinks were flowing definitely be going again thank you from a great timeWritten July 28, 2018
- Myself and my wife popped into this pub on the off chance and was pleasantly surprised by the different age gap between the customers and the Jolly atmosphere that was in there, we were let down by a taxi driver but the staff were very helpful to find another one quickly, brilliant beer and company, shall definitely be visiting again.Written May 12, 2015
- We had booked the race simulator at 5.30 and were told they were running half an hour late. They weren’t offering any food so had to go elsewhere whilst we waited for them to catch up. Would have been nice to be offered a free drink as a good will gesture, considering by the time we could use the simulators, it was 45 minutes late - Partly due to them having a catch up with their friends who were on before us - which we had to interrupt to get started.
Whilst on the simulator we were sat waiting at times to start the next parts of the races as the hosts were not attentive (bare in mind there were no other customers).
There was no atmosphere and the experience on a whole was a total rip off considering it cost £30.
Very disappointed and wished we asked for a refund rather than waiting.Written January 29, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Newton Abbot
- These are the best places for budget-friendly nightlife in Newton Abbot:See more budget-friendly nightlife in Newton Abbot on Tripadvisor