- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
54 places sorted by traveler favorites
Showing results 1-30 of 54
What travelers are saying
- A fascinating place to visit; full of history and an amazing view. There is a bit of a hike and little shade so be sure to have good shoes, a hat and sunscreen. Don’t let the breeze fool you, Since the island is located further East the sun’s rays are more intense any you will burn if you’re not careful. You decently need a few hours to see it properly. There is a small cafe outside the walls of the old fort and you can swim on it’s coast.Written August 12, 2022
- If you love history, this is a must see. But, know that if you go during high tourist season, there are very very long lines to see everything.Written August 13, 2022
- Beautiful old fortress locates in the Heraklion harbor. This was the venetian fortress, the thick walls and big towers.Written August 2, 2022
- The fort dominates Rethymnon. The walls on a hillside gives an excellent vantage point for all sea approaches
It is a big area and at one time the Venetians wanted the townspeople to move in there
We spent 3 hours exploring the fort, including the vaults, buildings, a lovely mosque that the Ottomans had added (great ceiling)
The map provided by the ticket office was informative
Despite being a mixed age group with varied interests we all felt that this was a really good experience and would highly recommend itWritten July 25, 2022
- There is not alot to the Itanos archaelogical site but rather a few stones strewn around a nearby beach. By following the signs you come across an almost idyllic beach.
Unlike Vai, there are no facilities; some rocks and a rough parking area. The beaches are fairly sandy but small with the odd tree and some rocky outcrops providing shade. If you hike about five minutes over the hill you'll come across another beach. It's much quieter than Vai and if you want that swim in the sea away from the crowds then I suggest here.Written May 18, 2017
- Nice views over Chania and surrounding hills from here.
This is a the resting place of Eleftherios Venizelos and of his son Sophoklis.
The statue of Spyros Kagiales in the same park refers to a legendary bravery in 1897 when Venizelos and a group of rebels had raised a Greek flag at that spot after being attacked by the Ottomans.Written March 19, 2022
- This Venetian fortress is part of the history of Chania. There are also great views of the harbor. Our time allowed only a brief photo stop but I would have liked more time to explore.Written December 18, 2021
- Definitely worth a visit if Greek mythology interests you. The cave is very mysterious and fascinating. There is a steep walk up but you are greeted at the top by a lovely stall selling cold drinks at reasonable prices, even freshly squeezed orange juice. The only negative is seeing the poor donkeys lugging grown adults up and down the hill, looking very hot and tired. I know it is the livelihood of the local people and that also some people may not be able to do the walk themselves, but it was still unpleasant to see the animals in discomfort.Written August 6, 2022
- A chance encounter with the remains of an ancient palace city just off the road heading south from Agios Niklaos. Fantastic views of the ruins exposed on the hillside.Written February 13, 2020
- Interesting place. Car needed to get there. Plenty of parking. Not very busy . Clean and tidy. Should put a box out for collection as free to get inWritten May 17, 2022
- These extensive walls are very impressive. They particularly identify their historic importance to this city. which was subject many incursions by a variety of nations.Written September 24, 2020
- Excellent building from Venetian times - the loggia dates back to 1620. The loggias were places where Venetian noblemen gathered and discussed the local economic and social issues. Nowadays it is a seat of a town hall of Heraklion.Written August 16, 2021
- We visited here in late October as were the only ones here. Quiet and peaceful with amazing views, it was lovely to wander around for half and hour.Written October 30, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Crete
- These are the most romantic places for historic sites in Crete:See more romantic historic sites in Crete on Tripadvisor
- These are the best hidden gems for historic sites in Crete:See more hidden gem historic sites in Crete on Tripadvisor