Points of Interest & Landmarks • Religious Sites
- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
52 places sorted by traveler favorites
Showing results 1-30 of 52
What travelers are saying
- stunning location in the middle of nowhere surrounded by mountains
truly spiritual and tranquil feel to it and has been beautifully restored after its turbulant past.Not to be missedWritten July 31, 2022
- A beautiful well kept building. The murals are amazing too. A peaceful escape from the busy city especially on a very hit afternoon.Written July 26, 2022
- Interesting church partly set in a cave. Worth a visit if you are around, Much more to see than in the other caves.Written February 27, 2021
- Beautiful place with a cool chapel and an interesting museum. Nice to learn the history and see where the monks lives and where a few still lives today.Written August 10, 2022
- We visited at the beginning of the June. Beautiful monastery and the nuns were very welcoming and knowledgeable. We learnt a lot about its history. Would highly recommend visiting and also looking at all the wonderful things that are made there in the small gift shop.Written June 29, 2022
- We had lunch in the small resort town of Elounda, which is very pleasant, certainly the part near the harbour. In the harbour there are many small and colourful boats, it is also easy to take from here a boat to Spinalonga. Along the harbour there are mostly restaurants, with the odd tourist shop, has very much a seaside resort town feeling to it. Near the harbour is also the church with separate belfry, one of the few churches I found open on my trip in Crete. The church is a quite nice orthodox church, with the typical wall and ceiling decorations .Written September 25, 2020
- While driving to the plateau you should make a short stop here. Nice little monastery with a long history. Visit the church and enjoy the views.Written July 1, 2022
- We visited here in late October as were the only ones here. Quiet and peaceful with amazing views, it was lovely to wander around for half and hour.Written October 30, 2021
- There are hardly any Jews left in Crete. The German occupiers were transporting all the Jews of the island to the mainland of Greece on the SS Tanais so that they may be transferred to the extermination camps. The German boat was torpedoed and sunk by the British, handing the passengers a more dignified death than the one that expected them in the Nazi concntration campsWritten August 2, 2022
- Well worth a look even if it is not open. We visited it on two occasions just to see the location again. Beautiful building and grounds looking over Bali and coast. Great just to be able to wander about and appreciate the quiet and tranquil setting. Many buildings there. Not open when we were there..........not well known so you will probably be the only visitors. Has a Aura about it. Sensible cover up dress is required to enter the Monastery. When we were there it seemed deserted and so quiet.Written December 22, 2019
- We had stopped for lunch at a nearby grill and noticed this church as we crossed the road. It is well presented and worth a visitWritten September 19, 2019
- Nice Monastery at a nice location. Also take a look at the cave. We visited it on a Sunday, when locals also had a festivity...Written February 8, 2019
- Visited monastery on the way to Vai beach.
A very beautiful monastery with museum that worth to see. Build in a peace full area with unique architecture is one of the most important historical monuments of the area.
Monastery has his own winery that.Written August 18, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Crete