- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
What travelers are saying
- Wonderful, world class display of antiquities and fine art. Rembrandt, Degas, Manet, Monet, Rodin, Renoir, Gainsborough, etc.
picked this day as a respite from a rainy day or two and worked out well. Beautiful stroll worthy gardens and a cafeteria that serves hot and cold fine, fine food.Written September 18, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Widely regarded as one of the best museums in all of Portugal, this museum is actually 2 buildings in an 18.5 acre park, easily accessible via the blue (azul) Metro line (Sao Sebastio stop). The Founder’s Collection includes works by Rembrandt, Rubens, Renoir, Monet, Degas, Manet, van Ruisdael, Cassatt and Gainsborough. The Modern Collection is considered to be the most complete collection of modern Portuguese art in the world. Admission is 10 euros, 50% reduction for ages 65+ (better than the discount offered by the Lisbon Card). The museum offers free WiFi and you can download and use a free guide to the collections on the Gulbenkian Museum App (free). Tip: Admission is free on Sundays from 2pm on.Written February 22, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This shop is very much open selling a beautiful selection of local made goods in what were once the royal stables. Take the No 28 tram and get off at the Se.Written July 22, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This set of works by Sebastião Salgado is an amazing opportunity for us to better understand how we are damaging our own planet.
It is an incredible opportunity to see beautiful photographs and learn more about places we didn´t even imagine to exist.Written June 16, 2015
- A lovely art studio, mostly with ceramics from Deolinda, a local artist who still paints her tiles by hand, but with a few paintings by another artist. Deolinda's ceramics feature a range of designs, from 3D marine life (perfect for a bathroom) to more traditional designs, and a variety of sardines. There's a nice range of prices as well as styles, so you can find gifts for nearly anybody. She packs them beautifully.
Deolinda is passionate about maintaining art tiles as part of a long-standing Portuguese heritage and full of information on that subject as well as art in general.
Strongly recommended if you enjoy art or want to get gifts that reflect authentic traditions.
To find the store, when you get off the bus or tram, go down the stairs. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure that out and remember that in Lisbon, "down" and "up" are often directions as might as right, left, and straight ahead.Written November 28, 2022
- Do not miss the Steve McCurry exhibit which is on at the moment. The photos are some of the best you’ll ever see, and the audio commentary brings to life the stories behind the photos.
It’s exceptional, and Steve is a master photographer and all around good human.
There is also a really good video interview with him.
Give yourself time, as you will want to stare at the photos for ages! I’d say at least 90 mins.
This is NOT open on Mondays, despite what google says.
Bring a phone which has data / internet. They do not have wifi for the audio commentary. If you get stuck with no internet, you could always bring up the audio commentary on your phone, and listen to it later when you get home.Written November 2, 2022
- The foundation is relatively small - but whenever I am in Lisboa, I go to visit the museum. Ther are maybe 20 oaintings of hers = four of which are for me so eutiful that it maes a trip to the foundariin worthwhile. And after the museaum a coffee and sime reading in the park‘s coffeshop (not part of the muswaum) - a true escape from downtown Lisboa‘s hectic.Written July 1, 2018
- Wonderful range of high quality, quirky, colourful products that really show off Portugal’s rich tapestry of artistic traditions. Very reasonable prices as wellWritten June 8, 2023
- Awesome and not tradicional art gallery with a contemporary tattoo studio inside. Great arts, good conversations and drinks on a nice local environment.Written September 5, 2019
- The building, designed by Aires e Mateus, is an hidden gem. Great place to see contemporary photography.Written December 14, 2020
- The perfect children's getaway from the increasingly hectic Lisbon!! A wonderful selection of books and activities in a real sanctuary....Clara's passion for enriching and supporting children is infectious. We will be back!!!Written September 29, 2017
- My daughter and I really enjoyed this art museum. We spent well over an hour enjoying the two main exhibits on the first level as well as the exhibit showcasing some up and coming artists on the upper level. The building lends itself to some great photo opportunities, especially if you are fond of hallways.
The area around the Biaxa-Chiado metro station can sure be a swarm to the senses. This gallery was a needed respite from the crowds, noise and hot sun. There is also a pottery store near by which is a bonus reason to visit.Written May 12, 2023
- We have dropped in to the gallery many times and have always had a wonderful experience. The emphasis is on Portuguese art. The range of art we experienced was superb.
Take the short detour off the Avenue and drop in. The excellent Cinema Museum is practically across the street.Written February 17, 2023
- I've been to this gallery several times and the exhibitions never disappoint – high quality artists, thoughtful assembly, very kind and professional staff. A must goWritten March 16, 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Lisbon
- These are the best places for budget-friendly art galleries in Lisbon:See more budget-friendly art galleries in Lisbon on Tripadvisor