Popular things to do
- Ports of Call Tours
- 4WD Tours
- Hiking Trails
- Full-day Tours
- Day Trips
- Bodies of Water
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Hiking Tours
- Science Museums
- Eco Tours
- Bus Tours
- Half-day Tours
- Nature & Wildlife Areas
- Hop on Hop Off Buses
- Historical Tours
- Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Sporting Events
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Likely to Sell Out
- Top Picks
- Specialty Museums
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Multi-day & Extended Tours
- Churches & Cathedrals
- Shopping Tours
- Yoga Classes
Top Attractions in São Miguel
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- We have never encountered anything quite like this in our travels. A thermal pool that is also fed by open ocean water- an App can up uploaded to one's phone to find the optimal times to go, when the water is the perfect temperature. The setting is extraordinary, as you walk across a black lava field to get to the pool, you climb down a metal ladder into the water, and there are ropes to hang onto as the tide sweeps in, often with surprising force. Highly recommended to wear water shoes, as there are big rocks underfoot.
Our time there was cut short by the tide bringing in stinging jellyfish, so the lifeguards on duty got us all out of the water.
But not before we'd gotten a chance to experience a truly unique Azorean aquatic experience.Written July 24, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Absolutely beautiful! It is possible to hike along the cratet to look down on the lake, and also hike down to the lake and to the beach. We did not, but we should have.Written July 27, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What a beautiful place! You can rent kayaks and paddle boards to get out on the beautiful lakes. It’s very easy to go between the green and blue lakes. There is a cute little snack shops and restrooms.Written July 31, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We walked around this place. It’s very cute and Europe feel with narrowed allay ways, paved pathways (typical of Portuguese), white washed wall, etc. much bigger than Terceira, but smaller than Madeira. We enjoyed our few hours of stop over thereWritten December 21, 2021
- AMAZING and a MUST SEE. Just a peaceful place to go to and relaxed. Beautiful gardens. This is a must go place when you go and visit this island.Written August 2, 2022
- Small, simple, good. The route is without a guide. There are QR-codes on the route to scan for information. There is also a place to drink and/or eat something.
It's not extraordinary. They're just a few small neat glasshouses. Not a lifechanging experience, just fine.Written September 24, 2021
- With the longer and more involved tours not running when we went, the only option is the short 30 minute tour to go down into the main areas of the caves. It's very simple and short. You cant go into either of the two portions of the cave more than about 100 or so meters. You get a little info about how the caves are formed. Ultimately it's not overly involved but at such a cheap price and a short amount of time, it's worth a stop to see. If you've not been in caves/lava tubes before then it is something new.Written May 5, 2022
- Great waterfall. It was cool to see other repelling down. I also enjoyed the drive down into the waterfall area.Written July 5, 2022
- Visited this as part of our tour of the eastern section of the island. Lovely lake with some nice hilltop vantage points.Written May 25, 2022
- Fabulous little church. Gold plated chapel with holy cross. Small place but it’s nice we were able to see it. Not far from the main square. Some say this square is nicer but I think the one in municipality is nicerWritten December 21, 2021
- We unfortunately didn't make it here with the blue sky as the back drop..... No really, it is very cool and unique. I've never seen anything quite like this with all the levels of the structure onto the hillside. The views from the bottom were cool but we did not get to the top for the better views as we were with a group that had to get back to Ponta Delgada. I would highly suggest taking the time to climb up the stairs for the full view.Written June 12, 2022
- This is part of the amazing central square of Ponta Delgada. We were staying at a hotel very close by and it was a landmark for our exploring. The clock tower is quite interesting and different than the rest of the church architecture.Written June 6, 2022
- This is a perfect spot for most tourists who don't want to work for anything. The waterfalls here are not nearly as stunning as the ones we saw on the island that required a significant hike and that is why this place is crazy busy. The parking is insufficient but it's still well worth a stop if you're looking for beautiful and easy. A perfect example of putting in a little work and thought is that there is another natural waterfall on the same side of the road as the large one that everyone visits. While we were there, we saw about 60-70 people stop and look at this one. We took the trail into the woods and for about a 10 minute reasonably easy hike we got to another spectacular waterfall where we had time by ourselves to it. Hardly anyone came while we were here just enjoying the view. Crazy. That said, the park is beautiful. It's well maintained and thought out. It's still a wonderful stop if you're not expecting the beauty in peace and quiet.Written June 12, 2022
- A great place to unwind and soak in warm thermal water after a hike around the lake and a stroll in the park. Can get a bit busy at times.Written August 6, 2022
- Gorgeous beach which is always washed by pretty strong waves, not recommending a long distance (or even mid-distance) swim, however if you're into surfing - it's a must stop! Black sand rocks (not during mid-day though as it's like lava). Overall, highly recommended!Written September 15, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about São Miguel
- The best day trips from São Miguel according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- São Miguel East Full Day Tour with Furnas Including Lunch
- São Miguel West Full Day Tour with Setes Cidades Including Lunch
- Jeep Tour Full Day Sete Cidades & Lagoa do Fogo with lunch and drinks included.
- Hidden Gems of São Miguel Island Full Day Tour
- Visit the Island with a Local - Private Car and Guide - Tailor Made