- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
7 places sorted by traveler favorites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travelers are saying
- Very interesting place to visit. Lots to see and learn about, but it's quite cramped and there is no "interactive" element. This is a read and learn place. Due to this and the topic covered it is not child friendly. A number of families were present during our visit and their kids were very bored.
Despite this, we enjoyed it and learnt a great deal.Written June 23, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This is actually two museums, one relating to medieval medicine and hospitals and the other to artwork. They make a pretty good combination.
The entire museum is housed in a former hospital dating back to the 1300s. The hospital display part makes you happy for modern medicine. One of the most persuasive things in that regard is painting of an eye surgeon working on a hapless young patient, with primitive tools and no apparent compassion.
The art part is taken up mostly with the art of Hans Memling, a great German artist. There are also several other medieval pieces. Most visitors won’t be familiar with the works (we were not), but they are worth seeing. The Ursula Shrine is considered a masterpiece. Note in particular the very fine details on many of the paintings – one even goes off the canvas onto the frame.
Note that there is a pharmacy in a nearby structure that is part of the museum. It's worth a 5-10 minute look. If you do, look closely at the carvings on one cabinet - it's of an apothecary that is very much like the one you are standing in.
Before you visit this attraction, consider getting a Bruges museum card (you can get them at the tourist information offices or some of the museums). If you are stopping at several Bruges museums, it can save you some expense. They are good for three days and also good if you stumble across a museum you hadn't considered that looks interesting.Written August 30, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This is a small museum but well worth the visit it is a little trek from the centre but well worth it, and there is a cafe there where you can get a drink.Written June 14, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- There's so many stunning items of religious art packed into this unassuming building. The church itself is also heavily decorated and absolutely gorgeous. Definitely recommend strolling along the canal to get to this church, it's really worth it!Written April 5, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Gezelle is a Flemish poet but there were translations of his poetry, which was lovely. There is also a garden there, which was very peaceful. When we went it was on a Sunday and there were some volunteers restoring the garden. They were lovely and so friendly and took time to explain what they were doing and telling us about the plants and their plans for the garden.Written August 17, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Bruges
- These are the best places for couples seeking history museums in Bruges:See more history museums for couples in Bruges on Tripadvisor