- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
13 places sorted by traveler favorites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travelers are saying
- Zie Trip Advisor comments 29.03.2020. 70th birthday of Jacques with Karine, Régine & Olivier, Hannelore & Jacques Jr, Gabriel, Antoine and Jacky. Just great fun and a super experience.Written March 29, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A week before our visit, I had not considered hot air ballooning before. I am so glad my partner bought us tickets, as it was an experience of a lifetime. The balloon staff members were down to earth, extremely funny and professional. I had a great time and have already recommended this experience to friends and family.Written May 10, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Sidony Ballooning was our first choice after extensive hunting for a ballooning company. Our youngest wanted to ride in a balloon for years, and we told him most companies don't allow it until he's at least 7 years old. He turned 7 in June so we waited for good weather and our schedules to free up. I spoke with Gaston (head pilot) on the phone, and although he said his English wasn't that good, it was sufficient to ask questions and clarify the experience. We picked Sidony for several reasons. Gaston said that he had 30 years of experience, he also recommended a July evening trip over a morning trip, and the price was great. We saved over 100 EUR (family of 4) by going with his company over competitors in the area (Belgium was the area we were looking for).
He said to block about 3 hours of time for balloon prep, flight, and the drive back. It actually took about 3.5 hours, but that's because our flight was over 80 mins long! 80 mins! Some companies say at least an hour, some only guarantee 45 mins of flight time. 80 minutes! And the boys loved every minute of it. (Except for the landing...our 7 year old was NOT expecting the jostle of a landing, although I said several times...bend your knees...be ready....we're about to hit the ground....anyway, he was fine. Just a bit shook up. I can't imagine a kid younger than 7 on one of these rides...that's as low as I would go.
So, from the beginning to the end, all great:
+Business easy to find
+Restroom available before and after flight
+Nice meetup room, watch a video so you know what to expect, admire photos on the walls of hot air balloons (mostly them flying different places)
+Great vehicle transport
+Took off from Downtown Sint-Niklaas...the town square. Half the square was a carnival with rides/games, and the other half was our balloon. Unforgettable. Awesome.
+Got to stand in the balloon while it was on the ground blowing up. Very cool experience. :-D
+A beautiful Belgian flight over Sint-Niklaas and the surrounding area. You see the town, some businesses, some very nice houses, beautiful fields, livestock, mostly flat so you can see almost forever.
+Tried landing 3 times, but the wind picked up a bit and made it difficult to find a field long enough to land. In the process of attempting to land, we flew very low over some houses, and it was really cool to wave and talk to people as we were flying by. Very cool!
+Landing was exhilarating. It was a bit rough, but it was amazing. Took about 3-4 hops before we skidded to a stop. Almost went sideways a couple times, everyone stayed in the basket and held on well. I was not expecting it to be that awesome. The pilot told us later that the wind picked up the last 20 mins that we were flying, and it was a little faster than preferred. He has said they've landed on a dime before, just float up, and float down. The wind makes things tough.
+Tear down was fun, the boys got to roll around on the balloon to help deflate it. The adults enjoyed this rolling around as well, I could tell.
+Finally the Champagne was great and the "Baptism Ceremony" was fun as well. Not going to spoil it if no one has done it...it's more fun if you don't know what is about to happen. :-D
Additionally, they were very accomodating to our children, a lot of places in Europe are "kidless" and they like to keep it that way. Sidony welcomed our children with open arms, and talked to them and included them...we felt like a part of the expedition instead of "those people with kids".Written July 20, 2014This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Excellent service, all the safety measures ensured a safe and wonderful flight; it was a wonderful experience where you feel part of the team that flew that balloon. Thanks to Maarten and all his team for their professionalism and enthusiasm!Written September 29, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.