Historic Sites • Religious Sites
- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
17 places sorted by traveler favorites
What travelers are saying
- Make sure you go inside (1 euro for OAPs)
The painting are wall to wall and ceiling to floor …. Amazing to see
If you are not impressed with this Basilica then don’t visit any others
Major attraction to me in Bergamo
Loved itWritten July 28, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The history of the Cathedral of Bergamo goes back to the 9th century.
The current church dates form the 17th century and is dedicated to Saint Alexander of Bergamo, patron saint of the city.
The cathedral has a Latin cross ground plan with a single nave with awesome paintings ans sculptures.
Admission is free, although a (small) donation will always be appreciated.
Nearby stands the 14th century octagonal baptistery.Written April 21, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This lovely little chapel/church is at one end of the Piazza Vecchia and crowded among a number of other fantastic religious buildings. I would have loved to have taken some photos of the interior but that’s forbidden raising questions about the number of photos posted here…Written March 11, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I usulally come for lunch during the summer time . Small plate simple but good. This place is so quiet, I love it!Written August 24, 2017
- The Basilica of Sant'Alessandro in Colonna is located in the center of Bergamo Bassa. A beautiful basilica that houses the relics of Bergamo's patron S. Alessandro, rich in valuable works by local painters. The church is very special, with its peculiar column placed in the front square. The origins of the building date back to the first centuries of Christianity when the saint martyred in Bergamo. The current structure comes from the 17th century. The facade is in the neoclassical style from the 18th century. The interior has a Latin cross plan with a single nave. A temple full of works of art and architectural elements. Worth seeing while walking around the city.Written September 25, 2020
- Romanic style chapel of the middle age sited beyond the Santa Maria Maggiore cathedral, with characteristic stone walls, vault, and modern paintings insideWritten October 3, 2017
- The Madonna dello Spasimo church in Bergamo, also called Santa Lucia, is a small church located in Bergamo Bassa. Its construction began in 1764 on the ruins of an earlier church from 1592. The interior has one elongated nave with side altars .This is a very beautiful church in the center of Bergamo that houses the relics of St. Lucia. During the holiday season, children bring well-intentioned letters here and a list of desired gifts for the feast day of December 13. Very beautiful church.Written September 28, 2020
- Great place to see some different styles in architecture. There is a lot of different places ro see around it as well.Written May 15, 2019
- The Church of San Vigilio was built in the early 8th century on a hill that was given the same name. The facade is from the 17th century, with doors made of bas-reliefs. The interior has a single nave, with an elongated plan in the local 17th century style. It has a facade facing west and a bell tower. The church is very beautiful and the panoramic position is just amazing.Written September 21, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Bergamo
- These are the best places for kid-friendly sacred & religious sites in Bergamo:See more sacred & religious sites for kids in Bergamo on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for couples seeking sacred & religious sites in Bergamo:See more sacred & religious sites for couples in Bergamo on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking sacred & religious sites in Bergamo:See more sacred & religious sites for groups in Bergamo on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly sacred & religious sites in Bergamo:
- Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
- Cattedrale (Duomo) di Bergamo e Battistero
- Cappella Colleoni
- Monastero d'Astino
- Basilica di Sant’Alessandro in Colonna
- These are the most romantic places for sacred & religious sites in Bergamo:See more romantic sacred & religious sites in Bergamo on Tripadvisor