- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
11 places sorted by traveler favorites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travelers are saying
- Relatively straightforward airport. Nothing fancy or complicated about this place. There are no metro lines that serve the airport so your only option to get to/from the airport is to either get a taxi or a bus.
When you arrive at the airport after going through security and baggage reclaim, you will be confronted with a number of kiosks with tourist info, currency exchange, busses to Termini (the main station in central Rome) and personal (private) taxi services to your hotel.
If, like us, you want to get to your hotel quick, then the best option is to get a taxi. Please be very cautious about this. The taxi rank is just outside the terminal and the official taxis are white with a maroon coloured plaque on the door. This plaque denotes the flat fare rate that taxis can charge you from the airport to the city centre. In other words, if you need to get to your hotel in Rome and that hotel lies within the Aurelian Walls of the city, then the taxi costs €30 from Ciampino and €48 from Fiumicino. No more no less. But drivers like to exploit unsuspecting tourists like ourselves - one driver quoted us €65 for the four of us plus 6 cases plus a wheelchair! Ludicrous! Be adamant and steadfast and insist on €30. Another driver there didn’t like the fact that we knew the rules and had a little tantrum and started to say something in Italian that I can’t imagine was too friendly! Eventually, given that we had a sizeable crowd and baggage, we agreed on €40 in total for the trip with another driver.
I didn’t feel very safe in the taxi - it was practically falling apart and I soon discovered that Italian drivers follow their own rules of the road and have no concept of what an indicator is.
If I were returning again, I would most definitely get either a private taxi (more money but for the peace of mind, I wouldn’t really care) or the bus which costs about €5 one way. Hopefully this is informative and might save you a little cash.Written October 28, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This office, located between the Colosseum and the Vittorino is a great place to get information on the surrounding area. You can also pick-up Rome-passes here. There is a restaurant and gelato stand along with public restrooms (pay) available in this area. There is also a large map of Foro Romano and the other forumsWritten October 23, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- The welcome center has a lot of information to guide you. You can get maps, advice and brochures. The attendant spoke English and was able to direct us to our car rental.Written October 8, 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Over the years i have organized and directed (on site) two Beautifications, a Canonization, and two Pilgramages.........and all of these with ORP. ORP is the Transportation (tours) office of the Vatican. Not only are they great to work with, but they offer an amazing list of tour possibilities and hotels throughout Rome and Italy.............And the pricing power is remarkable.
Yes, there are thousands of 4 & 5 stat hotels offered by ORP; However, there are an amazing array of "smaller properties and Christian Hotels (very well-run by some Orders of Sisters and Fathers (Priests). The one in Rome that I would strongly recommend is a Christian Hotel: The Casa Bonus Pastor...located within twi blocks of the main entrance of the Vatican.........................and the list goes on
ORP works with religious groups, but you may be able to contact them and see if they service non-Religious groups.Written February 27, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.