Speciality Museums • History Museums
- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
Types of Attractions
4 places sorted by traveler favorites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travelers are saying
- Such detail within the carriages, the death carriage was a real highlight. Good information displays and even sleds.Written March 14, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- An interesting building re the real tennis aspect and the fact this is where the French Revolution began. It opens at 2pmish and is free.Written September 17, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- add to your experience of Versailles; the intimate museum located in a hotel particulier has much to offer with quality period furniture and frequent small interesting exhibitions.Written June 28, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Versailles Montreuil is the neighborhood around L’ Eglise St . Symphorian . Rue de Montreuil is a short but sweet commercial street starting at the rotary in front of the church running up to Place Alexandre and the statue of André Le Nôtre (Louis XIV’s garden landscaper ) and ave St.Cloud. More interesting are the off the beaten track historical sites along la rue Champs de Lagarde which is a block or so behind the church: La Maison des Musiciens Italiens where Louis XIV’s housed 5 Italian sopranos when they joined the la Musique de la chapelle Royale. Included in the same buildings is the Musée du Compagnonnage /Union compagnonnique Tour de France.
Les Compagnons is an association dating from the middle ages when the construction of cathedrals got underway. Today it provides training and apprenticeship in traditional crafts ( woodwork, carpentry, ironwork , masonry, building, roofing, plumbing, painting, cooking, leather, glass etc) for youths from 15 years old on and post high school. The apprentices live together and travel round France practicing their trades and improving their skills in preparation for a chef d'oeuvre .
La Maison des Musiciens was eventually passed on to the botanist Le Monnier who landscaped a garden behind the house. The garden is now a small park open to the public with information about it in French and braille . Unfortunately if you want to visit the museums inside you have to schedule your visit(individually or group)
Maison des musiciens italiens :15 rue Champ Lagarde
78000Versailles. Tel : +33(0)6 07 39 70 00.
Across the street a few yards up on rue Champs de la Garde(another entrance 73 rue avenue de Paris) is la domaine de Mme Elisabeth, Louis XIVs sister who was beheaded doing the revolution. It consist of rambling park with gardens and a lovely house . It used to organize exhibits but it seems to have streamlined its activities and its visits are also now scheduled.
Domaine de Madame Elisabeth
73 avenue de Paris
Renseignement auprès du Conseil général des Yvelines
Tel : +33(0)1 39 07 78 78
The park however is open from March 1st to 30 November 30th and there is no fee.
Summer : April 1st - September 30th : 11h à 20h
Winter : Octobre to Novembre and March 1st-31st 8AM-6PMWritten September 13, 2015This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Versailles
- These places are best for history museums in Versailles:See more history museums in Versailles on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly history museums in Versailles:See more budget-friendly history museums in Versailles on Tripadvisor