Top Attractions in Windermere
What travelers are saying
- The largest lake in England, best seen from the water. Take a trip on one of the converted steam ships.Written August 1, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Gerry was excellent at informing all my family on the tour of the 10 lakes. He took us as part of the trip to a beautiful mountain stream where my grandchildren had huge fun paddling. In all it was a really lovely day. Many thanks.Written July 31, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A lovely little place to visit for the beautiful sights and inspiration for your own garden. Although not used, public toilets and picnic tables were available. Completely run/maintained by volunteers I understand? Well, what a wonderful job they do! A lovely couple of hours spent on not the dryest of days in The Lakes. The hydrangeas in full bloom were a must see!Written August 3, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Fantastic place for the kids. Free entry but pay for parking. Lots to do and experience and access to the lakeside for water activities.Written July 27, 2022
- We went on the cruise and steam train journey, It was a beautiful trip along the lake, gorgeous views and informative commentary. Links in well with the Steam train ride which was a real trip down memory lane, with the smells and sounds bringing back lots of lovely childhood memories. The staff on the train were great, really friendly. A great trip, many children on the train were genuinely excited to have a ride on a steam train as it was something they had only seen on films or TV.
It was very much appreciated thanks for all your hard work.Written August 6, 2022
- Fantastic hours pony trek with Katy the staff member who lead the pony trek. Katy was very friendly and patient. She lead us on a lovely hours pony trek through some amazing scenery in a valley. We even managed a few trots along the way which was such fun. Highly recommend this place if your in the lakes. It’s only a 15 minute car ride from Windermere.Written July 28, 2022
- Recent visit to The Lakes & stayed near to Lake Windermere so Windermere & Bowness were our local areas to shop.
The High Street is busy (even though lockdown 2021 restrictions were just starting to ease.
An eclectic mix of shops, including some interesting ones selling local products.Written May 9, 2021
- Plenty of leaflets and guides to pick up and view most of them are free. There books and various souvenirs to.Written July 22, 2022
- Such fun and well-executed artwork—super-nice people, too! Her cow portraits capture the soul of the local livestock.Written June 27, 2022
- This is a small attractive library near the town parking. We are so tired of being charged 50p to go to the toilet in this region so thanks to the library for having a public toilet!Written March 29, 2022
- A retirement gift was bought from here which led us to visit and hopefully purchase another by the same artist (Heather Stephenson) .
We actually came away with an original by Jeff Sudders which will have pride of place in our lounge.
Staff very helpful and interested to talk about the works they are selling.
Very covid safe too. Will Return without a doubt!Written August 17, 2020
- Just completed the C2C Whitehaven To Tynemouth and what a fantastic and challenging ride this was. Day one - Whitehaven to Keswick - includes wonderful ride through the dales and the mighty Honiston pass and a total of 1214m of climbing over 4.5 hours totaling distance of 40 miles. Day two - Keswick - Nunthead - total distance between 50/52 miles, We took the Crossfell ( by mistake ) heavy going climbing in boggy and wet conditions to 790m, not rideable, took over an hour to complete this section alone, however great decent to Nunthead. Very tough Day. Day Three - Fairly easy ride, only a few hill to climb around 851m then mostly down hill to Newcastle then onto Tynemouth, cokpleted this section in 4.5 hours. The first two days were wet and mild and the last day was dry. Remember to bring lots of layers because on the fells the temperature can change so much. I'm an average rider and trained for about 6 months taking into account hills and riding to a max distance of 30 miles twice a week. Its not easy but with the correct training you do not need to be a super fit athlete to complete this challenge. Would I do it again, Not Sure ??Written September 12, 2017
- A trip into living history....a taste of English spirituality at it's most cogent. Take time to contemplate.Written August 4, 2018
- We’re a family of 5 from London (though I’m a northerner born in the lakes), 3 boys aged 12,16 & 18, me and my wife. As we were only staying for a few days, I wanted to make sure we showed the boys a good time and an organised trip seemed to make sense on this occasion.
Having grown up in Lancashire, I was dragged up every hill in sight, like it or not. However, as an adult living in London I’ve really missed the outdoors and seem to find myself watching a lot Bear Grylls and Ed Stafford documentaries, in search of some adrenaline filled experiences, but never really doing anything about it. Going on a trip like this enables you to take yourself out of your comfort zone and do something you couldn’t do safely with your family, without the knowledge of an expert.
This is where Craig excels. We went with another family of 5, whom we’d never met. By the end of the trip we were all getting on brilliantly and having a great laugh. Some of the group members were more apprehensive than others about the jumps ahead, but Craig managed to make us all feel safe and keep the vibe upbeat.
I couldn’t recommend this experience more highly and will definitely return next year for the Esk Valley trip to celebrate my 50th!Written August 7, 2022
- A very enjoyable and fun family experience, with a great instructor (Zack). Real value for money, very safe and enjoyable. We had great fun.Written August 2, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Windermere
- The best day trips from Windermere according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Mountain Goat Full Day Tour: Ten Lakes Tour of the Lake District
- Ultimate Full-Day Lake District Tour: 10 Lakes, Amazing Scenery & Lake Cruise
- The High Adventure: Full Day Mountain Goat High Mountain Passes Tour
- Full day Private tour of the Lake District
- 6 hour Private tour of the Lake District.