Historic Sites • Points of Interest & Landmarks
Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Dover
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- I enjoyed this tour much more than I thought I would. I relayed through my family’s past in both world wars. I enjoyed the historical Royal family of England 🏴. The only complaint I had was that there should be more tour guides to help visitors. The shop clerk was very friendly. He ask where I was from. He answered questions I had.Written August 8, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We went on a scorching July day.Visibility was great , you could reach out and touch France, and watch the ferries dart in and out below.
Magnificent scenery. We went late in the evening and it wasn't too busy but judging by the size of the car park it must get pretty crowded at times.Written August 4, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Time well spent & enjoyed the history. Guides very friendly & willing to assist & share their knowledge.Rob Hall was our guide & he was brilliant. Spent time on the small details & was well versed on the history of the place. Very friendly & worth the visit.Written August 6, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Been here a few times over the years, took the other half this time. A nice location for a walk even without visiting the lighthouse. Can't go into the cellar anymore. Cost is OK- National Trust is never cheap (only charged if visiting the lighthouse tower). No nearby parking but a nice walk from anywhere parkable. No wifi. Shop OK. Staff fine and knowledgable. Allow 45 mins if visiting the lighthouse itself. Can easily spend half a day in the area. Toilets clean and the 'quiet room' is a nice touch. Good view from the top. The area can get busy but only about 8 others on our guided tour. Unsuitable for wheelchairs, people with vertigo and young kids.
Would I recommend to others? Yes
Would I go again? YesWritten August 3, 2022
- Amazing place. Just shows what you can do with rubble as it’s built out of the remains of the rubble from digging the channel tunnel.
Visit the cafe, best rolls ever and delicious ice cream.Written July 3, 2022
- Felt that a trip to Dover ought to include a visit to the museum to find out a bit about the place . Was glad that we went as we learnt a lot about Channel swims and Smuggling as well as the Bronze Age Boat . Well worth a visit .Written November 20, 2021
- Lovely area for a walk in the sun and nice views of the white cliffs. Car park fairly expensive for not much time. Toilets available. Refreshment kiosk selling nice ice cream.Written June 23, 2022
- Unfortunately when we came, the steps were closed so we will have to return. But the walk around the surrounding area was a delight.
Dover gets neglected as a tourist destination as well as by locals. It has far more to offer than people realise. We spent a wonderful day here in February. Really well worth the visit for people of all ages and plenty on offer in the rest of Dover.Written March 6, 2020
- What an unusual place this is. We seemed to find a way in that I was not sure the main way in. We parked in a lane and then found the small door leading through the thick external walls to the inner section. It was quite limited in space getting through. We then walked right around the very imposing walls of the inner section, which was a nice and interesting stroll. We didn't find our way to the top and I am sure that woudl have been worthwhile but we were running out of day!Written July 17, 2021
- Last Sunday at 7am I my husband and I crossed from Dover to Calais.The staff were very attentive and there was plenty of disinfectant around.They were trying their best.The problem was the customers.Many did not wear masks which they were told to with tannoys continuingly repeating the matter.A family of nine by us could not have cared less leaving us to move away and change seats.Would be nice if staff could patrol and sort this out if not this virus will spread.Written July 16, 2020
- The Three Waves beach landscape, designed by Liu Tonkin, with its curving paths, walls and sculptural light standards was an unexpected delight. As a new visitor to Dover, I expected the docks and castle, but hadn't really thought about a beach.Written June 12, 2022
- We always use dfds but on this occasion it was let down badly by the restaurant. Really overpriced for substandard food. Really small portions for the price. My wife’s fish was severely over cooked my curry wasn’t very nice and I was given very few chips. Sorry dfds your usual high standards are lacking on this occasion.Written May 27, 2022
- Went here Father’s Day , because my husband has been in a few times and loves the place . There are rumours that the pizza is the best in town . ….. I can’t exactly agree as the pizza chef very kindly gave me a master class , so we ate my own efforts ! I’m sure he must of tweaked it though as all our pizzas were lovely . Even mine !
Such lovely staff and atmosphere. You can buy a pint of three different ales or ciders or IPA ( one third of a pint in each tasting glass )
Staff let you know which to taste first !
All brewed on site as far as I can tell . Great gin menu too .
Absolutely lovely place , but as I said …. Don’t tell everyone!Written June 25, 2022
- Amazing that this structure,built by the Romans in the first century,on this hilltop still stands proud today,for the most part with its original materials,only having the top few feet rebuilt in the 14th century!
I believe it is one of only three surviving lighthouses from this era in the World!Written July 15, 2022
- This place is fab. Run by dedicated volunteers. Its very very interesting. It appears it is in absolute desperate need for funding. Please support it, its a wonderful place :)Written September 4, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Dover
- The best day trips from Dover according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Leeds Castle, Cliffs of Dover and Canterbury Day Trip from London with Guided Cathedral Tour
- Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral, Dover & Greenwich River Boat Ride
- Canterbury Cathedral, Dover Castle & White Cliffs Guided Day Tour from London
- Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral and Cliffs of Dover Custom Day Trip
- Small Group Canterbury, Dover Castle and Cliffs & Kent Villages Day Tour