Ancient Ruins • Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
Types of Attractions
Sights & Landmarks
Sights & Landmarks
4 places sorted by traveler favorites
What travelers are saying
- Really enjoyed our visit, very helpful and informative site staff, and great to be able to wander around without pressure. Hopefully there'll be more funding raised to carry our further excavations. Highly recommend a visitWritten August 25, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The abbey is just outside Barnard Castle. Beware - it is not well signposted. Our satnav took us down a very narrow country lane but eventually we came upon this wonderful vista perched atop of a grassy knowle. It is unmanned so there are no guidebooks. There are a few descriptive panels but the visitor must make his own interpretations.
Wonderful on a sunny (but windswept) day. Probably more challenging in the cold and wet.Written September 20, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We parked in the car park near the George Pub (closed ), climbed over the stile and 10 minutes later arrived at the remains of the Roman Bridge that went over the river. It is amazing that the river has moved over the centuries and there is a few of the stone piers and slabs to be seen. The fort foundations, situated behind the church in the centre of the village has information boards that give some idea of the size of the place. We didn't spend long at either place but it was very interesting if you are in the area.Written May 11, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Its worth a visit if you are passing. You need a bit of imagination, but this massive "fort" was clearly important as a defence for supply routes.Written October 4, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about County Durham
- These places are best for ancient ruins in County Durham:See more ancient ruins in County Durham on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly ancient ruins in County Durham:See more budget-friendly ancient ruins in County Durham on Tripadvisor