Popular things to do
Top Attractions in South Lake Tahoe
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- This was our favorite part of Lake Tahoe. We purchsed the combo ticket that included the mountain coaster. Beautiful views from the gondola and chair lift. Beautiful views from up top. Enjoyed the coaster and would highly recommend. The coaster ride was one time only and it was quick but worth it.Written September 26, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- knowlegable tour guides , very interesting site. Fancinating place with nice trails and beach for picnicking . Interesting gardens.Written September 18, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Excellent tour of an amazing place full of fascinating history. The house is beautiful and designed after Viking architecture. We decided to take the trip from Camp Richardson by boat and it was well worth it. We avoided the mile walk up and down the path to Vikingsholm and the short ride was beautiful, especially the entrance to Emerald Bay. It provided a close up view of the small island in the bay with a tea house on top of it. There is a beach on the shore after your tour. Some great hiking is available if you choose to park and walk the path down.Written September 1, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Van sickle bi state park is one of the tourist attractions and situated on the south eastern part of Lake Tahoe. This state park is a public recreation area straddling the border of California and Nevada States. It overlooks lake Tahoe. Easy to access and trails are there.Written November 9, 2022
- Moderately tough hike (beyond the tree line, it is just rocks and boulders).
Beautiful views of all the lakes around the mountain. Amazing 360 view of the Lake Tahoe at the summit.Written May 22, 2022
- I would have rated it higher but for a couple of issues: some of their descriptor signs are so faded they are illegible and the stream view room was closed.Written August 20, 2022
- Did a lot of trails around Tahoe and liked the views on this one best. Even if you only do a little starting at Bliss Park (it is a long trail) you won't be disappointed.Written September 20, 2022
- If you can do the Vikingsholm trail hike to get down here, then you can easily do this one. It’s short and you are rewarded with a stunning waterfall at the end. It is uphill, but not nearly as bad as some others.Written August 9, 2022
- I was debating between a fishing trip with a boat captain or the trout farm and ultimately chose this because of time flexibility. The ambiance is nice and children had a great time. They also learned hands on how to fish. They caught 3 large trouts which cost nearly $200, but it is still cheaper than going out with a captain on a boat.Written July 7, 2022
- This is a pretty set of waterfalls that seems like a movie set, like being on a tram somewhere between Jaws and the Psycho House.
The cascades are like rows of staircases running icy, rushing water 65 feet down to a small terrace before continuing down the slope.
Accessibility is "easy", but not effortless.
First, though the falls can be seen from the roadside, you must first GPS the Fallen Leaf Fire Department and essentially drive up a one-way road with two-way traffic. There are occasional wider sections of the neighborhood road that allow people to separate and pass, so with low speeds and a little patience, you can squeeze up and down the hill. (Don't mix that up and drive up with low patience and a little speed).
Second, if you plan to climb to the falls (assuming a safe water flow, as found in summer and fall), the short climb is potentially dangerous, requiring you to be nimble and careful, so I don't recommend it for people with mobility or attention issues.
Third, instead of a parking lot, there are dedicated spots for a few dozen cars. I am not sure if it is legal to park there. Websites claim there is parking left at the Glen Alpine trailhead sign across from Lily Lake.
Finally, I am not sure if there are two viewing spots, one lower or higher, based on the variety of pictures I find online. Allegedly, there is a seasonal second waterfall before Glen Alpine Creek.
All of this is worth it. Worth a photo for the gram, a picnic for the ambiance, or even an icy soak for the thrill.Written June 28, 2022
- Integrity is everything to me an I found it here. Both Tiffany and the owner Ashley kept their word. Something I highly value and appreciate. Gratitude to you both. highly recommend tee gallery. Long live Suess!Written September 15, 2022
- We spent a few hours on the beach. There is shade to be had if you are visitors like us without umbrellas! The sand gets really hot though so water shoes are definitely needed. Our friends ventured into the cold water, I stayed put reading! Lots of parking and space on the beach. We arrived about 2 pm in the afternoon.Written August 2, 2021
- A genuinely stunning place. The water looks beautiful. There are loads of activities to do too but just walking down the beach was good enough for usWritten November 3, 2022
- Quite a hike but certainly well worth it. You really get your steps in on this hike but when you make it to Vikingsholm you feel so accomplished. it is truly beautiful.Written August 30, 2022
- My wife and I love to take in shows at the Valhalla Boat House. Small intimate venue, always quality entertainment and the prices are very affordable. Well worth checking out their webpage to see what entertainment may be there during your Tahoe visit.Written August 24, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about South Lake Tahoe
- The best day trips from South Lake Tahoe according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Lake Tahoe Small-Group Photography Scenic Half-Day Tour
- Small-Group Day Trip to Yosemite from Lake Tahoe
- Full-Day Lake Tahoe Circle Tour including Squaw Valley
- Wild West Day Trip from Lake Tahoe with Train Ride
- Ultimate Lake Tahoe Self-Guided Driving Audio Tour
South Lake Tahoe Attractions Information
|Local Time||Saturday 2:11 AM|