Top Attractions in Portobelo
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- On our guided tour (in English and French) we were introduced to and told stories about the various animals. My favorite were the Toucans with their bright colorful bills and we were given a small amount of banana to feed them with (great photo opportunity). The macaws and monkeys were also amazing, and we even saw one monkey carrying its tiny newborn on its back. We loved that the animals were rescued, well cared for and that most were being rehabilitated for eventual release. We had heard it was an exceptionally clean zoo and we agree. The owners are clearly very dedicated to the health and quality of life of their animals. We thought it was well worth the visit.Written February 24, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lets at least give it its proper title, Iglesia de San Philipe
It just looks and feels old, the wooden support pillars and roof, rough plastering, huge doors etc. And it just has that nice serene atmosphere that not all churches possess. Outside was hustle and bustle, inside peaceful with some excellent wooden side altars. Including of course the one with a black Jesus. No charge to enter, all doors wide open to worshippers and visitors alike, so donate something for your visit and help the upkeep of this nice little church.Written April 25, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lovely secluded beach in a protected bay about 20 minutes ( 45$) by aquataxi from Portobelo. Would have given 5 stars only the beach attendants are very pushy and rude, and do not pick up their garbage.Written January 9, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It was very interesting to check out the museum and the old fort. It would be nice if it were fully restored, but still it's very interesting to learn about the history of the area.Written January 13, 2020
- We did 4 days of 2-tank diving with Rey and Golden Frog Scuba in Portobelo. The dives were relaxed and very interesting even if in some of the dives visibility was not very good (for Caribbean standards, due to heavy rains at the time). Surface interval was great with fruits, water, cookies and a delicious cheese. Rey always communicated clearly and he was always on time and ready to dive, he and his crew were always friendly and made sure we had a good experience. If you are diving in Portobelo, give Golden Frog Scuba a try, you will not be disappointed.Written June 23, 2022
- If you are looking for a special family friendly tour of Portobelo then you should contact Panamore. Francesco the delightful owner / operator of Panamore is a knowledgeable guide and also runs a little Italian pizza/ pasta dockside cafe there . He took us kayaking around the bay and along a river telling us all about the local history -all while also keeping our 3 young children giggling and paddling ( quite a feat!) We then had a little walk through the mangrove forest ( boots provided) to a lovely secluded beach cove. Our very own little Panamanian paradise . Perfect for young children to swim and paddle and snorkeling also possible a short swim from the beach. Because we had little ones we had opted for a boat to pick us up rather than paddle back. The friendly boat driver was prompt and delivered us back to the cafe . There Francesco made us some really delicious Italian pizzas and the kids also enjoyed some desserts made by the lovely Gabriella. We left feeling like part of his family with happy memories and full bellies! Francesco offers other local tours too and I’m sure he will tailor make you an amazing experience. Just Do it!Written May 12, 2022
- This is a wonderful dive center. It looked a little funky when I first arrived, but the kindness and patience of the dive master Alvaro was fantastic.
It had ben a few years since my last dive and he kindly took us into a shallow bay and geared me up and in shallow water helped go through some refresher procedures, after which we went for our dives.
He is very watchful and careful and is probably the best instructor or dive master you will ever run across,. It was a great experience.
I HIGHLY recommend him.
MichaelWritten April 6, 2022
- I did make a 1 days tour to Poetobelo to see the ruins of old Panama in the qonqerers footsteep.I feel in love directly with that town that had played such a important role in the european and in americans history.
I also woyld like to recomend Panamore tours in Portobelo👍💗They offer sailing and jungle tours etc.
Portibelo is so beautyful and exciting!!
Just by the Caribean Sea.
So dont hesitat to go there!
Nicole Moegny from SwedenWritten March 15, 2018
- Canopy zip lining is a great way to explore the rainforest. Panama Outdoor Adventures is a right turn 20 km before you reach Portobelo, about 3 km into the forest, on a dirt road and I would advise against a city car like our Kia Rio, the dirt road is full of holes. We decided to walk the last km. Celestino and Oscar took us across 8 ziplines, the longest about 250 meter and onto small platforms high in the trees, and I'd say 40 meter above ground is quite high. Safety was well taken care of - you will always be secured to the platform you're standing or the line. Great fun and well worth the long ride!Written September 13, 2017
- My wife was out of town so I decide on a little dive vacation for myself. I had a great time, everyone was so helpful and friendly. The dive master / instructor Raphael was fantastic. We did 5 dives in the 2 days and everyone was spectacular. I know I’ll be back.Written October 13, 2019
- I really appreciate Panama Divers for being so accommodating. Traveling alone, I couldn't find any other dive shop willing to accept a solo booking, but Panama Divers was not only fine with me being alone, they also worked with me to arrange round-trip transport from Panama City to the dive shop/resort. The hotel itself is in a bit of disarray after a recent storm and there was no electricity due to work being done on the power lines, but none of that impacted our dive. Divemaster Lito is excellent and showed us all sorts of awesome stuff underwater. It was a perfect day of diving and I would absolutely book with them again.Written February 23, 2017
- An unforgettable historical and educational trek through the jungle. Nelson and Ajin are expert naturists who know every inch of the jungle. The trees, wildlife, and history feel so alive all around you when you have them as guides.
The views from the mirador spot are breathtaking, and the hidden ruins have a quiet and solemn energy about them. You can feel the hundreds of years of history clinging onto the old broken stone. Kristyna, our Portobelo Explorer contact before we got to the town, was patient with our traffic delays, accommodating and readily available to answer any questions I had in detail.
I can't recommend this tour enough to anyone who finds themselves in PortobeloWritten February 23, 2020
- An awesome entire day at one of the most beautiful islands in Panama, great Caribbean food, the best option to relax and enjoy.Written April 2, 2022
- We were on a family trip with 3 teenage girls. There were over 7 guys who "park cars" by guiding to you a parking that is visible to anyone yet they expect you to pay them for it. One is better of having a designated fee to park a car and not have to deal with these men that are eyeing young girls and make them feel uncomfortable. They were wearing bathing suit with these tropical dresses that allow for the bathing suit to be seen and this was probably not the best choice of clothes.
The area lacks information signs with the history of the place so unless you know yourself what to tell the rest of your party, you will be stuck just taking pictures of moss-covered stones and some old cannons.Written July 11, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Portobelo
- The best outdoor activities in Portobelo according to Tripadvisor travelers are: See all outdoor activities in Portobelo on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Portobelo according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Day Tour Sailing to Caribbean Beaches on Catamaran with Lunch
- Tour to the Caribbean Coast: 3 Islands: Grande, Mamey and Monkey plus "Love Tunnel", Including Historic Portobelo Fort
- Sailing Day Tour to Remote Caribbean Beaches on Catamaran with Lunch
- Adventure to islands at the Caribbean
- Historic Portobelo and Panama Canal Sightseeing Tour with Scenic Train Ride
- The most popular things to do in Portobelo with kids according to Tripadvisor travelers are: See all kid friendly things to do in Portobelo on Tripadvisor