Top Attractions in Hillsborough
What travelers are saying
- Stayed local to find this gem on our doorstep. A sunny afternoon wandering around the beautiful gardens left us with not a care in the world. The castle building and gardens are full of history and well worth the visit. Decent cafe added to the atmosphere and rounded off the experience nicely. Staff were great and very helpful. A real wee gem not to be missed. Book online if you can. Highly recommended and good value for money.Written May 20, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I used this Visitor Information Centre for the first time in five years, or so, therefore I am familiar with it and what it has to offer.
On this occasion, I was wanting to purchase an Admission Ticket for Hillsborough Castle Gardens (as I had done previously).
However, ticket purchase is now just outside the Castle gates; a new facility that's more "dedicated" specifically, to the Castle and Gardens. (It has a Learning Centre upstairs for schoolchildren and the public); it leads to the new Castle Restaurant and Tea Room.
The Visitors Centre is well signposted and is easily recognisable as Hillsborough's Old Court House - situated at the top of Hillsborough's steep main street - and in front of the Castle - that it "hides" - to some extent. It is also a Museum - in its own rights - and operates as a venue for events, wedding receptions and as the "front of house" for Hillsborough Castle Tours (this latter function may soon move to the new Castle & Garden reception area).
Open from 9.30 am to 5.30 pm Mon. to Sat. and 11.00 am to 4 pm on Sunday.
Plenty of tourist literature; staff knowledgeable and it houses a souvenir shop.
Recommended.Written November 15, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Really enjoyed walking arpund the Fort on a beautiful day. Was not able to fet access inside. There were benches to sit on around the Fort.Written July 23, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This is a super spot for a leisurely walk surrounded by nature but without having to hike into a national park to get there. Close to the Fort and Hillsborough Castle, it's so easy to vidit you'd be mad not to!Written April 8, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Decided to have some lunch with parents, as we were staying for a few days in the area. The food was good and enjoyable. However, to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes for the food to arrive after the order is taken is ridiculous. Certainly other tables received their orders before us. We did complain (poor excuse given) and received something off the bill.Written July 31, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A great experience and a very interesting one. Even though I was brought up a mile outside the village and thought I knew much of its history, I found Robert's tour absolutely brilliant. I would not hesitate to recommend it and no one will be disappointed. It would be of particular interest to school groups who are studying History, especially the era around the Plantation of Ulster. Aaron's input about the village ghost should not be missed!Written April 30, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We use this magic ex Bank building shop often. It gives us really individual presents and enough cards to send to keep you out of mischief !Written January 31, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.