Top Attractions in Catalina Island
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Attended both musical events as well as got to visit the theater while they were running sample movies. Well maintained and great history. Key stop when visiting Catalina.Written October 23, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My girlfriend and I decided to take a tour and get to know more about the history of Catalina Island. We booked a three hour tour which seemed like it would be a long boring ride. It was anything but that. you board comfortable trucks with open sides so anything they point out is easily viewable. The drivers wear a microphone headset which is amplified through speakers making his tour easy to hear and understand. The tour takes you all over the island even to the back side which is a place that golf carts, those without permits, or non-locals can not go to.
our guide was Shaun whos family had lived on Catalina for five generations. Shaun attended his entire school life here on the island as well. Needless to say his knowledge of everything Catalina did not disappoint. I must also say, when we mentioned that we were taking a tour to others (waiters where we ate for lunch, shop owners, etc.) all of them, yes all of them said, “their tour guides are the most knowledgeable on the island”. Shaun was happy to keep to his tour script, but was equally happy to answer any and all questions we had along the way. The tour took us to various places throughout the island including, Descanso beach, the zip lines, the airport (totally worth it), Bison (not buffalo, thanks Shaun!) sightings, the wriggled ranch, and some of the most pristine and amazing beaches I have ever seen. It’s also worth noting that Shaun is also a great driver, not a single time did we feel any motion sickness or had to hold on, it was smooth from the time we got it until the tour was over. Also a note, we sat in the very back row which was supposed to be the bumpiest. When we got to the airport, Shaun figured out I was a pilot so we stayed a little extra time there and every had time for a snack out on the deck in the sun with some of the best views of the island.
Overall this tour was a 10 out of 10. Shaun is who made this tour and I would highly recommend this to anyone visiting the island. Well worth it. Ask for Shaun, you wont be sorry!!Written November 20, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- First timer going to Catalina with my loved one and we enjoyed every minute of it. Cheap fair that we purchased a year ago. Didn’t know we had to make reservations ahead of time and luckily we did. But to put a hold on your card if we couldn’t make it is ridiculous. But we still made it worth our while.Written October 10, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful building, fascinating history! Especially enjoyed learning about the theatre previewing some of the first "talkies".Written August 30, 2022
- Perfect day in Avalon. Great time of year - off-season, so no crowds. Weather still sunny and 65 degrees. And an unexpected benefit of going on a Thursday- no cruise ships. If only going for one day, definitely rent a golf cart and do the 1 to 1-1/2 hour scenic loop. Great overlooks and a fun ride. Grabbed a slice of pizza from a window in the center of town and had delicious pie at Jack’s Country Kitchen. Walked the waterfront and shops before taking an excellent tour of the Casino Theatre and Ballroom. Watched dolphins frolic and the sunset as we headed back on the 4:00 ferry to Long Beach. Unless you are hiking, boating, diving - one long day is perfect.Written November 16, 2022
- We try to find these types of museums wherever we visit to find out the history behind a location. This museum did not disappoint. Small but well organized and great for a 1-2 hour browse through.Written October 23, 2022
- This stop was part of our Bison Expedition tour. We only had 15 minutes, so we did not have time to eat. We have eaten at the restaurant there in the past. The food was good, the fresh baked cookies are a must buy. Nice gift shop.Written May 17, 2022
- Mainly highlights the succulents found on the island. Shows native vs non-native species that are present and most examples are clear marked. We went here prior to a hike and it was a great orientation. Memorial is only mildly interesting.Written October 23, 2022
- We were greeted by harbor patrol Rose, Super friendly and very welcoming ready to assist with a smile. That's the way to start a vacation. We've been coming here for years and can appreciate the hard working staff that is friendly and professionalWritten August 21, 2022
- Took the 8 mile out and back from town all the way out to Lone Tree Point. The views were phenomenal once we reached Lone Tree Point. It was extremely hot that day so bring tons of water and cover as there is no shade on this trail. I"m glad I wore long sleeves and a hat.Written August 10, 2022
- Not exactly glamping, but close enough. If you like to hike, but don't want to rough it too much, the Trans Catalina Trail is an experience well worth the effort. It does require that you spend a bit of money in order to get there, in reality it's part of the adventure. If you are coming from outside Souther California, you have multiple airports to fly into. I recommend Long Beach. Once you are in Southern California, you can catch ferries from Long Beach, Dana Point or San Diego. If you want a bit of fun, spend the first night in the beach town of Avilion. It has many great hotels, restaurants and a campground near the trail head. The trail circumnavigates Catalina Island. Each of the campgrounds are unique with three of them right on the ocean. Some of the special features of the hike include a restaurant at about the halfway point at Catalina's airport, free roaming buffalos (you do need to keep an eye on them), the village of Two Harbors' amenities, and slack pack services for your gear, food, water and firewood. It should be noted most of this is ridgeline hiking and a challenging 38 miles. Give yourself at least three to four nights on the trail. It's a one-of-a-kind hike, great trail for a group or to go do solo. The best and most complete review of the Trans Catalina Trail I have read is by Alison on her She Dreams of Alpine blog.Written September 29, 2022
- This museum, tucked away on a side street a couple of blocks from the waterfront, is a hidden gem. It presents a well-curated series of exhibits on the history and culture of Santa Catalina, from the original Native Americans through the early developers, the war years, movie filming, and contemporary arts. Most visitors don't get past the bars and restaurants near the waterfront. Too bad. They really should check out this place.Written April 25, 2022
- The Green Pleasure Pier is one of the great points of history in California that remains unchanged and magical for young and old, locals and tourists.Written March 21, 2022
- We were driving our golf cart around when we saw this place and decided to check it out. We ended up learning quite a bit about the island and the staff was very knowledgable too. There are some really cool exhibits that teach about the island. We spent maybe 45 minutes and it was well worth it.Written March 21, 2020
- The ladies in the office were very friendly and helpful with the events and attractions on the Island.Written January 27, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Catalina Island
- The best outdoor activities in Catalina Island according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Catalina Island Conservancy
- Wrigley Memorial & Botanic Garden
- Catalina Island Conservancy Eco Tour
- Hermit Gulch Trail Loop
- Nature Center at Avalon Canyon
- The best day trips from Catalina Island according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Catalina Island Day Trip from Anaheim hotels with Optional Upgrades
- Catalina Island Day Trip from LAX area hotels with Discover Avalon Scenic Tour
- Catalina Island Day Trip from LAX area hotels with Undersea Adventure
- Catalina Island Day Trip from Anaheim Hotels with Discover Avalon Tour
- Sail Blue Ocean
Catalina Island Attractions Information
|Local Time||Tuesday 1:05 PM|