What travelers are saying
- Mount Merbabu (3,145 m) is the 3rd highest mountain in central Java, standing together with Mount Merapi as a brother and sister. Merbabu has 5 route to trek (Selo, Suwanting, Wekas, Cuntel and Thekelan). I went to Mt.Merbabu via the Suwanting route on Aug 2023. Even though the hiking trail is very steep but it offers you a good view of Savanna and a panoramic view of Mt.Merapi.
Before trekking you need to register on the national park's official website. It requires at least 3 people/group, if you are a solo traveler you can put your name on a website with the date to go. if someone wants to go on the same date and route, you would be invited to join the group and contact your friend via Whatsapp). It has a quota for each trekking route and sometimes is full on the weekend or public holidays.
***It's not allowed to climb without registration, even if you go with a travel agency. If all of your group members are foreigners, a guide is required.
You have to pay about 300.000 IDR on the website as a foreigner for 2 days entry fee (paid by your team leader) and another 160.000 for the wristband. (only 50.000 IDR for the Indonesian entrance fee and 35.000 IDR for the wristband)
I suggest you find a good hotel on the way to the base camp or you can stay in Yogyakarta and go to the base camp in the early morning. Around here it's the only basecamp for preparing your gear before start trekking. Not good for an overnight stay. You can find some trekking equipment such as a trekking pole, tent, gas, and water from the shop near the base camp.
I rent a motorbike and ride from the hostel in Yogyakarta for about 2 hours (50 km) in the morning. The parking fee at the Basecamp is 10.000 IDR for 1 night.
As a solo traveler. I met 2 Indonesian friends who invited me to join the group. They help me a lot with the entrance and checklist of essential things. If something was missing you may not be allowed to climb a mountain, you can check essential things from the national park website before registration. After checking our gear and briefing with the officer, we took Ojek from the Entrance office to the starting point (10.000 IDR) which saves you 1-2 hours. I start trekking around 11 am, there are many Indonesians on the way and the route is clear, you will not get lost.
The average slope of the climb on the Suwanting trail is 30 degrees. On some climbing terrains, there are climbs that slope up to 60 degrees. It's take 4 hours for me and I reached the POS3 (basecamp for the summit at 0300 pm. There's a large camping area and you can see Mt.Merapi from your base camp. If you reached the POS3 early you can go to see the sunset at the summit on the same day. It takes 2-3 hours for the summit but the view on the way is still beautiful so I go only 45 mins from my camp and come back only 30 mins for my dinner.
The summit attack normally starts at 3 am but I woke up at 0400 am, made a coffee with my bread, and start trekking at 0420 am. It's a cold and strong wind on the way because it's Savanna. The sunrise starts around 0600 am, it's not necessary to see the sunrise at the summit because there are some good viewpoints on the way. Most people stop and watched the sunrise there with coffee or instant noodle, then go to the summit later.
At the summit, you can see the panoramic view of Savanna and other mountains such as Merapi, Sindoro, and Sumbing. Trekkers from 5 routes will join there. I spend time at the summit for around 15 mins and come back to my camp, finished breakfast, and walk down to the starting point, It takes 3-4 hours to climb down because this route is very steep, and going down fast is dangerous.
**There is no phone signal on this route, but you can see the notifications at some point on the way.
**Bring back all your garbages to check at the entrance gate.
**There is a source of water near your camp at POS3 but I suggest you bring at least 3-4 Litr/per person
**Buff or mask is necessaryWritten August 22, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- the best hiking in yogyakarta tour, trekking for sunrise and sunset, overnight hike, day hike, and camping hikeWritten November 5, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Long walking is worth to do to visit this place. Awesome view around with great weather. Must be fit to reach this place. The waterfall is very beautiful and we can play water at the small river near the waterfallWritten January 3, 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great panorama, fresh air.. Very cold at night. Yiu can shop fresh vegetable here like kabocha, tomato,etc.. Some outdoor activity available here too like horse riding, outdoor playground, flying foxWritten November 2, 2019
- This swimming pool have a very natural pool, since they have “moss” in their pool, the water was so nice and feeling coolWritten June 2, 2018
- The most important lesson I learned at Havana Horse was to keep at it until I found my own individual feeling for "right".
What many riding instructors always told me: "ride with the feeling", "connect with the horse", "you have to be clear with the horse". For me, there was always a bit of "Huh!? How? What does that mean exactly?". I always had the question about the right technique and I always got explanations, improvements, impulses.
With Havana Horse, there was an end to explanations at some point. There was only a friendly but determined "try again" and again and again and again.... Until I found it, my personal feeling how I can truely connect to the horse I am working with.
No pulling on the reins, without calf on the belly, but completely relaxed and from my inner center.
And from now on I will continue to work with this feeling and become more and more clear...
Besides that, the farm is such a peaceful place, were all are living in harmony together. I came as a student, I grew so much both in clearness and confidence with horses and personally. And I leave as a friend, with the promise to come back again…Written July 22, 2023
- This temple is located near souvenir shops in Salatiga. There was uses to be puppet and barongsay shows when I was a child here.
This temple looked well maintained. It's still as beautiful as when I was a kid.
But when I visited this temple there was no ceremony or any shows.Written January 5, 2018
- It is a good place when you want to see the wonderful natural view. The pine forest and the fresh air is a perfect combination for relaxing. You can also try the outbound and other adventurous experiences. The foods are also delicious,by the way.Written January 22, 2019
- This is one of the tourist attractions in Magelang, precisely in the village of Kragilan. The place is quite far from the city, but it didn't disappoint after arriving at a tourist spot. This place offers a beautiful path between pine trees. Fresh air and calm winds give coolness to see the green scenery. This tour is called "Top Selfie", may because there are many good and interesting photo spot. We can take many pictures of ourselves at various tourist attractions here, or we can also hire local photographers. The entrance ticket is also at an affordable price, Rp.5.000(weekday) and Rp.7.500(weekend). Guaranteed not to regret coming to this one tour. Happy visit!Written March 5, 2019
- good store to buy cheap and good batik product...they have regular store and premium store...just tips for big man, they have special racks for big man in the regular store, so better you directly ask to the staffs, where it is..Written December 30, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Salatiga
- The best outdoor activities in Salatiga according to Tripadvisor travelers are: See all outdoor activities in Salatiga on Tripadvisor
Salatiga Attractions Information
|Tuesday 6:34 AM|