We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
All photos (70)
Full view
Traveler Overview
  • Excellent47%
  • Very good28%
  • Average20%
  • Poor1%
  • Terrible4%
Local Weather
Powered by Weather Underground
Salem, MA
Improve This Listing
Ways to Experience Essex Street Pedestrian Mall
from $25.00
More Info
from $25.00
More Info
Reviews (101)
Filter reviews
91 results
Traveler rating
Traveler type
Time of year
More languages
Traveler rating
Show reviews that mention
All reviews fun place to visit visiting salem october halloween vendors shop bookstore
Selected filters
Updating list...
1 - 10 of 91 reviews
Reviewed June 17, 2019 via mobile

This pedestrian mall is a great place to start when visiting Salem. There are many shops and restaurants on this street. Be cautious about some of the “museums” on Essex Street, though, as some are “tourist traps” so check out reviews before paying an admission...More

Date of experience: June 2019
Thank Cwpappa
Reviewed February 3, 2019 via mobile

There are a lot of great little shops here! Also many restaurants...something for everyone! This is right in the city center of Salem!

Date of experience: October 2018
Thank samanthajfindlay
Reviewed January 28, 2019

we had to go through this area to get to the hocus pocus tour and had to enter to "MALL" WOW ~ HORRIBLE!!! 70% of the shops were vacant and the other 30% were cheap knock off stores. The worst part was the BATHROOMS HOLY...More

Date of experience: January 2019
Thank 581colleenc
Reviewed November 29, 2018 via mobile

This is pretty much the main hub of downtown: tons of shops to browse in and out of as you walk around. There are a couple places to eat as well, and the mall is here as well with more places to eat. The stone...More

Date of experience: October 2018
1  Thank SteveO172
Reviewed October 10, 2018

We went the 6th of October and it was crowded already. We had a nice day walking thru the streets and seeing all the vendors.

Date of experience: October 2018
Thank poohkids2
Reviewed September 15, 2018

From the Peabody Essex museum (reviewed separately) we walked down Essex Street, which is a pedestrian street. This is a hub that leads to many businesses, restaurants, a pharmacy, a bookstore, and more. If you are visiting Salem because it is charming, this is one...More

Date of experience: September 2018
Thank Robert F
Reviewed August 19, 2018

Walking down this street is very cool. I highly recommend it. I'd also recommend walking into some of the shops.

Date of experience: August 2018
Thank Mark42139
Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

I was appalled at the condition of Essex Street. My husband and I visit Salem each year, sometimes twice a year. The construction 🚧 🔨 on Essex was crazy. We could barely hear our tour guide, and from the looks of things the work is...More

Date of experience: August 2018
Thank pumpkingirl1
Reviewed August 2, 2018 via mobile

I hope that the food employees don’t use the bathroom in the mall. It had no toilet paper(except for on the floor .. ew) and no soap(for both the men and women’s rooms. We stayed for 3 days in Salem and it was never cleaned...More

Date of experience: August 2018
Thank Christina F
Reviewed July 2, 2018

Numerous shops, restaurants and the Peabody Museum. Lots of construction when we were here in June so very noisy. Nothing special about the street, typical shopping are without the cars.

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank Nannagrandma
View more reviews
Nearby HotelsSee all 3 nearby hotels
The Hotel Salem
117 reviews
.01 miles away
Hawthorne Hotel
2,227 reviews
.22 miles away
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
1,898 reviews
.27 miles away
Harbor Light Inn
526 reviews
2.58 miles away
Nearby RestaurantsSee all 243 nearby restaurants
Red's Sandwich Shop
1,532 reviews
.06 miles away
Ugly Mug Diner
449 reviews
.08 miles away
Red Line Cafe
193 reviews
.03 miles away
631 reviews
.06 miles away
Nearby AttractionsSee all 182 nearby attractions
Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery
896 reviews
.03 miles away
Witch History Museum
263 reviews
.01 miles away
Wicked Good Books
34 reviews
.01 miles away
Questions & Answers
Ask a question
August 17, 2017|
Response from Tripplanner-89 | Reviewed this property |
Very big on Witches, Halloween, some New Age and very touristy. This is the place one should visit, with out a doubt.
August 11, 2017|
AnswerShow all 2 answers
Response from megan0627 | Reviewed this property |
There's lots of places to buy touristy things. I apologize I didn't go into many shops because we had our dog. I can say having been there in both October and May that you'll probably have better luck the closer to mid... More