St. Mary's Art Center, a 501c3 non-profit offers a fascinating combination of art, history and culture within an 1876 historic landmark building, previously St. Mary Louis Hospital. We are home to art galleries, historical tours, creative spaces, as well as a quiet, beautiful location for classes, retreats and facility rentals. Our property offers a unique, special perspective of the Comstock. Open Friday - Sunday, 11am-4pm or for private tours.
Suggest edits to improve what we show.Improve this listing
Top ways to experience nearby attractions
18 within 3 miles
33 within 6 miles
See what other travelers are saying
- Steve OSan Jose, California3 contributionsMust See When in Virginia CityThis beautiful historic building is a must see. It has a rich history and has been beautifully cared for and mostly restored, a work still in progress. You should call ahead to make sure someone will be there for tours. We arrived just before noon on a Thursday and it was closed. but it just so happened Paula B was in the building and gave us a thoroughly enjoyable tour. There isn't space here to talk about all of the interesting sights and stories so I'll just say you need to see and hear them for yourself.Written August 19, 2021
- G FamilyPorterville, California51 contributionsVirginia City Family Day TripThis location was another one on our must visit list, it used to be a hospital back in the day. Beautiful location and building, full of History. We were not able to take the tour due to arriving late, but we will definitely return.Traveled with familyWritten May 19, 2019
- Jaime BCalifornia98 contributionsSt Marys Art CenterExcellent tour, guide was very friendly and knowledgeable, this is located in a old hospital well worth taking.Traveled with friendsWritten September 25, 2017
These reviews are the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor checks reviews for fraud.
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Nov 2017 • Family
This place used to be a hospital and has been partially renovated and updated where artists hang their work. There is a $10 per person admission fee but it truly isn't worth it. The docent does guide you around the three story building and relates some interesting facts.
Written January 31, 2018
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Hello Ken, We are disappointed to hear you did not find value in your visit, but hope you will return in the future. We have new upcoming exhibitions, events and programs that add to our offerings. As a point of clarification, admission is only $5 per adult and $3.50 for children and senior citizens. The 1876 building is four stories and contains 7 art galleries, 16 guest rooms and art creation spaces. We look forward to seeing you in the future. Thank you for your feedback.
Written February 2, 2018
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of Tripadvisor LLC.
St Mary's Art Center (Virginia City) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go
Frequently Asked Questions about St Mary's Art Center
- St Mary's Art Center is open:
- Fri - Sun 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM