The Crystal Palace was built in France as a greenhouse to grow orchids.
More than 3 hours
Suggest edits to improve what we show.Improve this listing
Tours & experiences
Explore different ways to experience this place.
Top ways to experience Crystal Palace
- Discover Petropolis and its Hidden Gems with our Private Tour15Recommended100% of travelers recommend this experience. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher.Car Toursfrom$122.25per adult (price varies by group size)
- Historic Petrópolis From Rio: The Imperial City –Palaces, Architecture & Culture40Recommended100% of travelers recommend this experience. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher.Bus Toursfrom$231.00per adult (price varies by group size)
Neighborhood: City Center
457 within 3 miles
Alquimia dos Temperos
0.3 mi$$ - $$$ • Brazilian • Healthy • Beer restaurants
0.2 mi$ • Italian • Brazilian • Bar
0.2 mi$$$$ • Brazilian • European • Contemporary
0.4 mi$$ - $$$ • Brazilian • Bar • Grill
Restaurante Cervejaria Bohemia
464 ft$$ - $$$ • Brazilian • Brew Pub • Dining bars
Leiteira e Sorveteria Brasil
0.2 mi$$ - $$$ • Dessert
48 ft$$ - $$$ • Italian • Pizza
0.4 mi$$ - $$$ • Dessert • German • Austrian
Restaurante Tradição Mineira - 16 de Março
0.5 mi$$ - $$$ • Japanese • Brazilian • Barbecue
0.2 mi$$ - $$$ • German • Brazilian • Brew Pub
65 within 6 miles
Museu de Porcelana de Petropolis
0.4 miArt Galleries • Speciality Museums
Rio Negro Palace Museum
0.2 miSpeciality Museums • Historic Sites
Catedral de São Pedro de Alcântara
0.3 miReligious Sites
Museum of the House of Presidents of the Republic
0.2 miSpeciality Museums
Praça da Liberdade
0.3 miPoints of Interest & Landmarks
Museu Casa de Santos Dumont
0.4 miSpeciality Museums
Praca 14 Bis
0.2 miPoints of Interest & Landmarks
Casa da Princesa Isabel
0.2 miHistoric Sites
Museu da FEB
0.3 miSpeciality Museums
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
we were not impressed. the park surrounding is kitsch and the building is empty and dusty. You can spend 20 minutes there.
Written August 7, 2019
A beautiful old structure made of glass and built to be the Emperor´s particular greenhouse. Indeed, that´s not a palace, but, because of its magnificence, came to be called as so. It is in the midlle of a gourgeos green park and some people use to chill out or even make a picnic in its outside area. Nowadays, its inside houses fairs, exhibitions, parties, weddings and receptions.
Written October 3, 2011
The palace is just a building of the imperial period of Brazil. Important more for the history of the city than for any special "must see" . In the city of Petropolis the Imperial Museum is worth visiting and this Palace is a small attraction, in my opinion, if one.
Written August 13, 2018
I was disappointed to see this glass shell, almost abandoned, in the middle of town. If only there had been a year-long display of orchids or some tropical plants of which there is an abundance here. I understand that it is sometimes used as a beer-hall during October fest, some would roll in their grave knowing that war escapees found paradise here. A few stalls with knick-knacks for sale and snack bars, but otherwise a disappointment.
Written January 22, 2019
This is a very beautiful place. Glass and iron surrounded by nature bring the visitors a very relaxing sensation. Really good place to visit, a must see!
Written July 19, 2016
While it may hold historical significance as one of the oldest imported pre-fab buildings in Brazil, it's a shame they aren't doing more with it. It's basically a big empty greenhouse - why not put plants in it like the olden days?
Written April 25, 2015
Nice place to visit, lovely garden, interesting architecture. But, there is a lack of more than the garden and structure. If you are driving by it is worth a quick stop. Parking is difficult in the area.
If this review is helpful then please indicate so below.
If this review is helpful then please indicate so below.
Written February 25, 2015
Nice place to visit, beautiful garden and pleasant atmosphere. But lack of other interest beside the garden and glass structure. It seems that some expositions take place there but in short periods of time.
Written November 13, 2014
Nothing extraordinary with this Crystal Palace besides the Calma and quiet square where it is located.
Written October 13, 2014
Heard the best tenor singing an Opera scene in this venue that was the best Ive heard in my lifetime. The setting and accoustics made the experience even better. I love this venue.
Written September 16, 2014
Showing results 1-10 of 65
Hola! Como se llega a Petropolis desde Rio de Janeiro en Bus ? Gracias!
Vas al nuevo rodoviário de Río y en los buses única pides pasaje a Petropolis a mi me salio cerca de 20 reales. Estos buses salen a cada hora ahí mucha frecuencia y en Petropolis llega al rodoviário que esta afuera de la ciudad ahí deverá tomar un transporte, uber, ônibus, táxi para llegar a la ciudad
Frequently Asked Questions about Crystal Palace
- We recommend booking Crystal Palace tours ahead of time to secure your spot. If you book with Tripadvisor, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund. See all 26 Crystal Palace tours on Tripadvisor
- According to Tripadvisor travelers, these are the best ways to experience Crystal Palace:
- Petrópolis Day Trip from Rio de Janeiro including Imperial Museum and Crystal Palace (From $73.09)
- Day Trip to Petrópolis from Rio de Janeiro (From $57.70)
- Petropolis Bohemia: Historic tour and visit to the Bohemian Brewery (From $40.39)
- Petropolis Imperial - Discover the main attractions of the Imperial City (From $28.85)
- Petropolis The Imperial City with Beer tour and Lunch (From $61.55)