NOT TO BE CONFUSED with DC Ghost Tours. There are many ghost walking tours in DC. I decided to go with SCARY DC Ghost Tours.
Bottom line: Find another company, almost any other company or even any random stranger on a street corner will give you more value for your money than these people. I’ve done many walking tours in different cities, including DC. This is by far the worst walking tour company I’ve ever experienced.
1) The tour guide showed up late and when he did, looked utterly disoriented and about as excited as someone on their way to get a root canal.
2) Barely audible. Could hardly tell if he was directing himself to the audience or having a conversation with himself.
3) Borderline arrogant. Asked the audience if we knew who James Madison was. Audience member said: “He was a US President”. Tour guide said: “Actually, no. He was not.”
All this arrogance and 10 minute shpeel about James Madison, only to tell us at the next stop on the tour, that he meant Benjamin Franklin all along, and NOT Madison, followed by a “It’s been a really long day.” and then added that Madison HAD indeed been a US President.
Really? You don't say!
Tour Guide: 0
4) Read his tour notes in between stops like a college kid cramming the night before a test. Couldn’t have been more obvious he was wing-it and was barely into it.
5) Monotone voice. No story telling skills. Never engaged the audience. As a matter of fact, the tour was significantly smaller by the time the tour was over. Many people left the tour before it was over and I probably should have done the same except I kept thinking that the guide was still warming up. Nope. An atrocity from beginning to end.
6) Emailed the company to tell them exactly what I’m saying here. I even went as far as to request they follow up with me, not even for a refund (even though I probably should have requested one), but I just wanted someone, ANYONE, to tell what in the world had happened in that tour! No one ever replied. EXTREMELY LACKING in the CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT.
In conclusion fellow TripAdvisors: Recommend this tour to your worst enemy, and your worst enemy only. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.