What people are saying
Suggest edits to improve what we show.Improve this listing
Tours & experiences
Explore different ways to experience this place.
Top ways to experience Muurhuizen and nearby attractions
315 within 3 miles
97 within 6 miles
See what other travelers are saying
- denis kTilburg, The Netherlands446 contributionsMiddle AgesWhen you walk through the Muurhuizen you imagine yourself in the Middle Ages. When the city began to expand in 1380 due to the economic boom, a new city wall had to be built. The old wall was demolished and from around 1500 houses were built with the material of the old wall along the line where the city wall had stood. Because the construction of these houses has taken place in different periods, a great diversity of forms has emerged. Well-known buildings in the Muurhuizen: De Bollenburgh: the house where Johan van Oldenbarnevelt (1547-1619), born in Amersfoort, spent his youth. Museum Flehite: Museum Flehite is housed in three late-medieval wall houses, built around 1540. Over the centuries, the original houses have also been used for other purposes, such as a warehouse or even a military hospital.Written January 28, 2020
- 🌍Travel-Uwe🌎Cologne, Germany7,267 contributionsDie MauerhäuserBei den Muurhuizen handelt es sich um eine längere schmale Gasse, in der Häuser stehen, die teilweise schon vor vielen hundert Jahren aus Resten der alten Stadtmauer gebaut wurden. Manchmal fühlt es sich hier wie im Mittelalter an! Eines der Highlights der sehr sehenswerten Stadt Amersfoort.Traveled soloWritten March 30, 2020
- PaoloRiccardoCarraraRome, Italy410,533 contributionsLa strada più affascinante di Amersfoort...Ai lati della Kamperbinnenpoort (unica porta sopravvissuta della cinta del XIII secolo) si possono vedere le Muurhuizen, le case fortificate sulle mura interne sorte a cavallo del XV secolo e che danno anche il nome alla strada. Trovo che sia in assoluto il posto più affascinante del piccolo centro storico di Amersfoort, dove abbandonarsi ad un piacevole gironzolare.Written October 29, 2020
These reviews are the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor checks reviews for fraud.
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Feb 2018 • Couples
As almost every month we take a walk around here. It is always lovely to to see the ancient buildings. Beautiful inner city piece of amersfoort!
Written February 19, 2018
Jun 2016 • Solo
Do walk the full round! It feels a little bit like stepping back in time and you can have a sneak peak to some of the small gardens that people have...
Written August 17, 2016
May 2015 • Business
Definitively one of the most famous and most picturesque alleys in the old town of Amersfoort. Make sure, however, that you do not miss the rest of the beautiful, ancient city center, which is at par with the old cities of e.g. Haarlem, Leiden, Gouda, Middelburg etc.
Written July 23, 2015
Nov 2014 • Solo
Muurhuizen in Amersfoort, a half circular street around the dead center of town is a sight not too miss! Spend half an hour there or longer if you like medieval surroundings. The street has been restored in a perfect way. Every building is either permanently inhabited or serves a civlian purpose. When you have satisfied your curiosity the town centre is right there just for you with its scores of places serving eats and drinks and to rest your limbs before you hit town once more.
Written December 3, 2014
Aug 2013 • Family
The Wallhouses are an unique formation of houses in a circle around the center. During the last centuries these special houses were built from bricks that were taken from the (nowadays mostly demolished) inner city wall. Walking through this very interesting area, you will stumble upon a lot of beautiful and impressive examples of Wallhouses, like the Secretary’s House, the Thieves’ Tower (used as a prison), the small and large Tinnenburg and the Bollenburg (once the residence of the famous Johan Van Oldenbarnvelt). Really worth to check out and I recommend to do the city boat trip (45 minutes, only 4 euro), from the water you have a very nice look on many Wallhouses.
Written August 27, 2013
May 2022 • Solo
A walk along the so-called „muurhuizen“ on the circular street is a must do when visiting Amersfoort. It is especially enjoyable on a sunny day in spring/summer when some of the houses are decorated beautifully with flowers.
Written May 25, 2022
This circular street has a fascinating history and truly beautiful architecture, it is like taking a trip back in time. It encapsulates the quirkiness and class of Amersfoort.
Written January 25, 2020
Oct 2018 • Friends
I remember Amersfoort from my student days but a ot has changed since that time. The town has gone through a lot of restorations and the Muurhuizen is one of the most impressive quarters of this old town with the Koppelpoort nearby
Written October 22, 2018
Mar 2018 • Solo
Typical for this city. For me one of the must see in this city. Old architecture. Quiete streets. Wonderful to take pictures.
Written April 23, 2018
Nov 2017 • Solo
Nice to stroll through the old streets. The Muurhuizen were also the town’s border in ancient times. Very nice tranquile. Also to be admired with a trip in a touristic boat.
Written December 22, 2017
Showing results 1-10 of 64
Muurhuizen (Amersfoort) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go
Frequently Asked Questions about Muurhuizen
- We recommend booking Muurhuizen tours ahead of time to secure your spot. If you book with Tripadvisor, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund. See all 5 Muurhuizen tours on Tripadvisor
- According to Tripadvisor travelers, these are the best ways to experience Muurhuizen:
- Self-guided Outside Escape Walking Tour in Amersfoort City Centre (From $22.00)
- Self-Guided Pub Trail in Amersfoort with Online App (From $15.95)
- Escape Xperience in Amersfoort: Legends and Folk Tales (From $27.50)
- Escape Xperience in Amersfoort: the Hidden Coins (From $27.50)
- Self-Guided Tour of Amersfoort with Interactive City Game (From $34.10)