Your local host Usha will welcome you into her home and serve you a wonderful traditional sadhya (feast) straight out of her family kitchen in her tharavad (as ancestral houses are called in Kerala). This will be a multi-course meal served on a plantain leaf that may include dishes like sambar (tentil based vegetable stew), aviyal (mixed vegetables), olan (curry made with white pumpkin, cow peas and coconut milk), and erissery (pumpkin), eaten with rice and papadum (crisps). You will end your meal with a mango-cinnamon preserve or fried banana slices dusted with cinnamon powder. Once you are done eating, Usha will take you around the house, sharing anecdotes from her formative years in Kerala and of her memories linked to the house. Usha is eager to share the Nair community's rituals, customs, festivals and cuisine through this special experience - so don't miss out on getting a unique glimpse of a local's life in this part of the world!
per adult (price varies by group size)
Lowest price guaranteeFree cancellation
Start time: Check availability
Live guide: English
What's not included
- Private meal with your host Usha
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Departure details
- Thrissur, Kerala, India
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 7626P278
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Menu may vary depending on the season
- If any travelers in your party have any allergies, dietary restrictions or cooking preferences please advise at time of booking
- Vegetarian and vegan option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Private, personalized experience
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- If you cancel at least 3 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 2 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
- How much is Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals?
- Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals price starts from $35.20. Discover and book Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals on Tripadvisor
- What is the Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals cancellation policy?
- Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals cancellation policy: If you cancel at least 3 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee. Discover and book Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals?
- Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals is hosted by Traveling Spoon. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Traveling Spoon on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals on Tripadvisor
- How much time do I need for Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals?
- On average, this experience will take approximately 2h. Discover and book Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 7626P278
Reserve your spot
About the operator
New Delhi, India
Joined in April 2017
#30 of 158 Classes & Workshops in New Delhi
- singercara2300A highlight of our trip to Delhi!What a wonderful evening we had with Shivani. She was an excellent hostess and just so fun to visit with. We enjoyed our trip to the local market with her and learning all about how it works. Then we came back to her lovely home and prepared several dishes together and enjoyed eating dinner with her and her husband. It was just a great evening and I would recommend it to anyone.
- A4099IJdavep00A wonderful family, hosted by an exceptional lady serving utterly brilliant food!!What a brilliant idea!! Prerna and her family were exceptional hosts. My wife and I really enjoyed Prerna sitting down with us for a good 20mins to learn about each other's customs before serving us occasional light bites as appetizers. Initially, it was only her to greet us but other family members joined us one by one. This was a lovely gesture because we didn't feel overwhelmed by loads of family members trying to talk..it was a lovely relaxed afternoon. Eventually, by the time we sat down at the dining table, we had met all family members and carried on the conversation over the extraordinarily tasty lunch.
- sachibeans00My sweet memory in Coimbatore!I have joined the local market shopping and lunch tour with my friend. Jaswant and his family welcomed us at their home. We have visited the local fish market and then went shopping at the supermarket. He also stopped by the clothing store. We watched while his wife, daughter and house keeper were cooking in the kitchen. Fish Morley was so tasty! Coconut pudding was also the best ever eaten in South India! We had great time with Jaswant’s family. After tour Jaswant gave us some break at his house, cause we had a few hours until flight that day. It was a great day. I want to go to Coimbatore again someday! 私は友人と地元の市場でのショッピングとランチツアーに参加しました。 ジャスワントさんと彼の家族は私たちを歓迎してくれました。 地元の魚市場を訪れ、それからスーパーマーケットで買い物をしました。 彼は衣料品店にも立ち寄ってくれました。 彼の奥さん、娘さん、家政婦さんが台所で料理をしている様子を私たちは見学させてもらいました。 フィッシュ・モーリーはとても美味しかった！ ココナッツプディングは、南インドでこれまでに食べた最高のものでした。ジャスワントさんの家族と楽しい時間を過ごすことができてとてもよかったです。 ツアーの後も、彼の家で飛行機に乗るまでに数時間あったので休憩を取らせてくれたのもありがたかったです。 素晴らしい一日でした。 いつかまたコインバトールに行きたい！
- Travellove240700LOVED this experience!Our evening started with a very warm welcome from our host Prerna and her family. The food was tasty and delicious using only the freshest ingredients and we enjoyed the cooking demonstration very much. Particularly enjoyable was the lively and entertaining conversations. We learned so much about family life in Delhi. I highly recommend this unique experience, especially with this very wonderful and lovely family.
- tropitie00Wonderful experience, warm, welcoming family...very cute dogs too!I'm finally back home from my month long trip to India and my spices are now unpacked and I'm ready to try my hand at some of the delicious and memorable dishes that Kashyap and his family showed us how to make. (Rubbing my palms together.) Having dinner with them was a great experience. It was so nice to enjoy an evening with them, sharing food and talking about the differences and similarities of our lives and homes, half way around the world from each other. Their two dogs stood by as adorable ambassadors. We won't forget it. Thanks! ~ Cynthia and Brad
- curious_matter00Amazing experience!I had a great time with Shivani and her family. If you're considering going for a class you should do it! Part of the experience is getting to talk to her and her family about all things India and get to know the country from another perspective. The food we cooked and ate was delicious, just learning the basics of making masala was worth it. (Btw, I'm apparently a natural at making Roti's ... just saying). She's also very accommodating with dietary restrictions. Overall: Amazing =)
- r_p_hobson00Brilliant Indian cooking experienceI had a lovely time with Kashyhap and his family. Among other things we ate shami kebabs, paneer, Indian (chicken) sausages, chicken in a delicious masala and lamb (mutton) korma and a delicious lentil dish. It all looked so easy, but I can't imagine it will be that delicious when I try to cook it for my wife when I get home! I would also point out that the directions that Kayshap gave were perfect. Its not easy to find anything at all in Delhi, but I was able to find my way straight to the correct address with the directions I was given. I would recommend this to anyone.
- Edouard L00Great experianceI had a perfect evening With Sujata and here friend, chatting, cooking and eating ! I'd recommend this experience to anyone .
- stephk613201800Great start to my New Delhi visitI signed up for a lunch with Shivani in her home and had a great two hour experience. It was my first day in India and she made me feel so welcome and was incredibly open with information about herself, her family, her country. I learned so much and had a marvelous meal and great introduction to Indian food. Shivani's husband also joined us for lunch and that made it more personal and special. I highly recommend Travelling Spoon and Shivani.
- Yash P00Unforgettable experienceWe were only expecting a simple authentic South Indian meal and learn how to replicate it in our home in USA... it turned out to be like a meeting of old friends. Jaswant ji went out of his way to make our trip memorable.
- Rayan A00Amazing authentic experienceFarheen was very cheerful, kind and always willing to answer any questions we had about anything including Indian cultures, markets, foods, and more. Took us for a proper walk through a local spice market, explaining the uses of several different spices and their significance to Indian cooking, which she is very passionate about. After that we were welcomed to her apartment where we were met by her lovely family who made us feel at home as we prepared our meal and shared it together. Overall highly recommended when in Delhi.
- Costas C00Great way to eatI had two dinners in New Delhi through Travelling Spoon. In both cases the food was excellent and was cooked at home. The main attraction for me was spending time with the hosts and meeting the family.
- robinweaver168000Cross Cultural Experience!Spending several hours with Shivani was an incredible experience. If you want an authentic experience - sign up for a Traveling Spoon session with Shivani! We went to the vegetable wholesale market, prepared 3 delicious North Indian dishes and the enjoyed the meal with her family. You will feel very welcomed and honored to learn and enjoy with Shivani.
- Brandon N00First time with Traveling Spoon and it exceeded all my expectations!What an incredible experience to capstone my 2 week trip to India! Being invited into the experience from my friend, I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly satisfied with every step of the journey. Our hostess, Vandana, and her family provided such a warm experience, I never felt anything but relaxed. They live in a newly developed, very modern condo that overlooks areas soon to be transformed by the rapid development of Delhi's middle class. It was a glimpse into the modernization of the city and at the same time the traditional dishes served (which we helped to prepare!) provided an incredible sense of adventure and comfort. We ended up really connecting with Vandana and her family and staying for hours after the meal! It was truly special to see all the culture wrapped around the cuisine and be invited into such an intimate atmosphere. I would highly recommend adding a Travel Spoon experience to anyone's itinerary. The experience of learning how to cook like a local, in their home provided the best deep dive into a culture one could hope for.
- petervanburen201700Delicious summer mealWe had a wonderful evening with Kamla and Rakesh. The food was delicious and very different from anything we'd had before. As we were visiting Delhi in the summer, we had a chance to try homemade yogurt and potato salad. We really enjoyed our conversations and felt like we learned a great deal about life in Delhi. If you're headed to Delhi, this is an experience not to be missed!
Buy it with
Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals provided by Traveling Spoon
Product Overview: Experience a Traditional Nair Household during a Homecooked Meal with Locals
Number of Photos