This product is unavailable to book via Tripadvisor. Contact the supplier for availability.
Recommended by 100% of travelers
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
Examine history-making moments of the Civil War on a walk through French Quarter sites that bear witness to the pivotal conflict. Hear stories about life in New Orleans during and after the Union occupation and how the city escaped the devastation of other southern cities. With plenty of historical trivia, it offers fascinating context into antebellum and postwar New Orleans.
- Learn how New Orleans was transformed during and after the Civil War
- Visit Civil War sites and monuments in the French Quarter with a historian guide
- Hear how the lives of slaves and black soldiers were affected by the war
- Detailed and fact based, geared toward history buffs looking for something other than ghost tours
French Quarter, New Orleans, LA, USA
Returns to original departure point
- There are no special items included, or added, to this this tour. This is a simple walking tour through the French Quarter while learning about prominent people and events that took place in New Orleans during the Civil War.
- Local guide
- Not included in the price of the tour, guests will have the opportunity on this walking tour to purchase food and drink from local establishments throughout the French Quarter, if they desire.
- Food and drinks (available for purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
This was by far the most interesting and engaging tour I had in New Orleans. Nick was incredibly knowledgeable and articulate, and his tour was perfect for both newbies and Civil War aficionados alike. This tour painted the picture of both antebellum and Civil War-era New…
Date of experience: March 2020
1 Helpful vote
I will confess that I do not have a particular passion for learning about the Civil War. However, my husband does, and so I agreed to take this tour to make him happy. To my pleasant surprise, I found myself quite interested in what Nick had to say, because his emphasis was on…
Date of experience: February 2020
We were lucky that Nic gave the three of us a private tour. As something of a Civil War buff myself, I really enjoyed learning about New Orleans’ role in the conflict. I am always happy to learn something new and Nic knows his stuff! I highly recommend this tour to anyone who…
1 Helpful vote
This was an incredible experience. Nick brought the period to life, clearly explained the different aspects of the War and the factors that led to it, and so generously shared his passion and in-depth knowledge. He is a wonderful guide and teacher. I learned so much and enjoyed…
Date of experience: September 2019
The tour uses the Civil War as a lens through which the people, heritage, politics and economy of this fascinating city are revealed. It was extremely well-researched, scoped and insightful - full of SUPER interesting factoids. We felt lucky to have found this meticulous and…
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Civil War Tours of New Orleans
Fun tour for an unconventional side of New Orleans
Nic is an awesome storyteller and has obviously done his research on the topic. My favorite part was he wasn't just…
My husband and I took the Metairie Cemetery tour with Nick and we were absolutely blown away! We both are very int…
Best tour in New Orleans!
If you enjoy history, this is your tour! Rick is very knowledgeble, and passionate about Civil War History. His m…
Super detailed tour
One of my best tours in any city. Very detailed, kept our attention and knew his material. Highly recommend takin…
Great Historical Civil War Tour!
I thoroughly enjoyed this tour! Set in the “French Quarter” our tour guide Nic covered a lot of information with a…
Fascinating information on the Civil War
Nic has a wealth of fascinating information on the Civil War in New Orleans! We learned that 40% of the population…
Well prepared and passionate about the tour and history. Definitely worthwhile.
Our tour topic was the Battle of Baton Rouge, had a family link. Nic combined with a visit to Metairie Cemetery, Ca…
Excellent, Educational, Entertaining
Nic’s a very skilled tour guide. Not only is his knowledge extensive, his presentation of historical events is outs…
BEST tour ever!
This is by far the very best history tour in the area! Trust me I'm a native not a tourist and love, love LOVED IT…
Civil War history enthusiasts
As Civil War re-enactors, we are always interested in hearing the history which led the two sides to the breaking p…
Wish we would have had more time! Or your guide was extremely informative and excited to share. Would definitely re…
such a great time
Nic is a fantastic tour guy. really knows his stuff and kept my ADD husbands attention. would absolutely recommend …
I found our guide to be very educated on the material discussed during our walk. I’m not as up to speed on the deta…
Metairie Cemetery Tour
Our guide's passion was only out weighed by his knowledge of the Civl War and the burials at the Metairie Cemetery,…
Nic was knowledgeable about Civil War/New Orleans. Wished the sun was shining so bright so I could listen more cle…
- French Quarter, Civil War Tours of New Orleans
- Duration: 2h 30m
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071
Popular: Booked by 9,299 travelers!
Popular: Booked by 9,114 travelers!