The Cradle of Humankind is a protected 47 000 hectare Unesco World Heritage site.It is situated in a completely unique geological and ecological region of the planet. This is what was made it both special for the evolution of humankind and also for the preservation of that extraordinarily rich record in its buried fossils. The cave systems are the major part of its attractions and make valuable contributions to the global research into our shared origins. Both Sterkfontein and the Maropeng sites bring all this to guests in an interesting and understandable fashion. A bonus is the exquisite landscapes of the Cradle. There are nearly 600 cave sites, incredible paleontological discoveries, game reserves and private boutique hotels and conference centres, The Cradle is a popular weekend break away area, testament to its success.
Lowest price guaranteeReserve now & pay laterFree cancellation
Start time: Check availability
What's not included
- 1 bottle still mineral water per person
- Entry/Admission - Sterkfontein Cave
- Entry/Admission - Maropeng Visitor Centre
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- Rosebank, 130 Oxford Rd, Melrose, Johannesburg, 2196, South Africa Your guide will meet you holding a Cashan Africa sign at the entrance of the Oxford St entrance of the Rosebank Gautrain train station.
- Johannesburg Intl Airport, Johannesburg South Africa
- Lanseria Airport, Lanseria South Africa
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 150702P3
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- How much is Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time?
- Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time price starts from $121.21. Discover and book Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time on Tripadvisor
- What is the Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time cancellation policy?
- Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time?
- Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time is hosted by Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time on Tripadvisor
- How much time do I need for Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time?
- On average, this experience will take approximately 6h. Discover and book Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 150702P3
Reserve your spot
- You'll start atRosebankOr, you can also get picked upSee departure details
- 1Sterkfontein CaveStop: 90 minutes - Admission includedSee details
- 2Maropeng Visitor CentreStop: 90 minutes - Admission includedSee details
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris
Joined in September 2011
#8 of 220 Outdoor Activities in Johannesburg
- Chrysaetos6600Safari in Kruger National Park5 day 4 nights in Kruger National Park with the most knowledgeable pleasant and helpful guide, Chris Green. His knowledge of history, botany, mammalogy and ecology was beyond belief. Excellent !
- maxvictorw00Incredible experience!Awesome experience! Very sympathetic guide, amazing nature and beautiful animals! Would recommend to anyone who wants to experience something unique and wonderful!
- arlop201300Cashan Africa - Pilanesberg 4 day tourAfter two earlier trips we returned to South Africa to have a trip with Chris. This time we brought the kids with us to make this a greater challenge (3 and 6 years). Previous experiences with Chris were so positive we had to include him in the trip again. Why? His knowledge of multiple topics is extraordinary. Plus he is a great guy, a treat to have around you, is concerned about safety and mindful of your wishes. I mentioned knowledge and I will give you background on this. History of South Africa and human kind, geology, Johannesburg area, Pilanesberg, animals, plantlife. Also, we witnessed Chris’ interaction with the kids and he makes topics interesting for them. Making stories of plants tangible, telling details of animals and their behavior, identifying different kinds of animal poo and tracks, which are very important if you are on game drives. If you are looking for a guide with extensive knowledge, a great sense of humor and someone genuinely interested in you Chris very well fits that bill. You will not be disappointed!
- Andrew S00Amazing 4 day safari experience in Pilansberg, South AfricaI can’t recommend Cashan Africa highly enough, we had an amazing experience from start to finish. We travelled from England with our 2 kids (12 and 14). Penny was brilliant at arranging everything, offering various options snd accommodating some last minute changes with no fuss. We were picked up from our hotel in Johannesburg at 8am by Chris who drove us to Pilansberg where we stayed at the excellent Kwa Maritame Lodge. Chris is a fantastic guide and great company. He has amazing knowledge of the wildlife, nature and the history of South Africa. He is really good, easy company and was brilliant with our kids, particularly our son Billy (12) who is mad about wildlife. He really encouraged his interest and animals and Billy loved talking to him. Over the 4 days we went out on a mixture of game drives with the lodge and with Chris in his 4 x 4. On each drive we saw something different so it is definitely worth going for a few days. Pilansberg is a great option for families as it is only 2 hours from Johannesburg. It has the big 5 and everything you’d want to see without being too big. The Kwa Maritame lodge was lovely, a high standard of accommodation within the park itself. Great location and excellent food. We had a brilliant time from start to finish, Penny even arranged a visit to a crocodile and reptile centre on the way back to Johannesburg. I highly recommend booking with Cashan Africa - a great service and very reasonably priced. The memories will stay with us forever!
- BETTYCAP15600Three Incredible Days in PilanesbergDear Chris, What an amazing experience! I could not have asked for a better guide/companion for my visit to Pilanesberg. I am so grateful to have had 3 relaxing days to enjoy everything that the Park has to offer. Some might consider you saved "the best" for last (the roaring lioness and the elusive leopard) but I loved every moment on days one and two that led up to those exciting sightings on our final day. You showed me that there is so much more to a safari than "The Big Five." I made a tally as best I could of all that you shared with me: at least 24 different birds (probably many more!!) 20+ animal species; vegetation that feeds the animals, grooms the animals, protects and cures ills. What I didn't expect was the peacefulness of this experience. You shared a very special place with me that felt all the more meaningful knowing how much it means to you and how connected you are to the place. Thank you for being so generous, taking on a solo traveler and sharing your excitement, expertise, amazing knowledge and all your wonderful stories of Pilanesberg. I hope I will be back again soon! Thanks again! Beth C from Maine, USA
- mayacars00Insanely fantastic!If you’re deciding who to book a tour with, or whether to go on one at all - absolutely without a doubt book with Cashan Africa. Every single part of this safari was phenomenal, Chris’s knowledge, hospitality and ability to spot wildlife is unparalleled. We were absolutely fascinated by Chris’s retelling of the geology and culture of the local area, even on the drive out of Johannesburg we were amazed at how much firsthand historical knowledge Chris had, it made the most average street corners actually seem interesting! The Pilanesberg park itself is beautiful and to experience it properly we absolutely recommend choosing Cashan; from learning about the behaviour of animals, safely navigating the park, spotting rare animals and hearing about the vast array of plant species, Cashan really makes the park come to life.
- JamesELu00Three tours, all wonderful!In early January, I did three tours with Chris Green. All flawless. He picked me up at the airport, and we drove to Pilanesberg to do the three day safari. His knowledge and conversations were always enlightening. We also saw many animals, and, due to the time of year, baby ones too! I was dropped off at the Lucky Bean guest house in Melville.The next day, I did the Soweto bike tour, (not with Chris, but nice too). Then with Chris we did the Cradle Tour and the day after the Discover Johannesburg tour. Both extremely nice too. Everything I have read in the few reviews around this one is very true. A bunch of great experiences. Excellent insights.
- skyjockey9900Brilliant! Perfect second tour with CashanWe'd had a superb Jo'burg tour with Chris last time we visited from the UK, so when we found ourselves with 10 hours stop over at OR Tambo (Jo'burg airport), we contacted Chris and Penny at Cashan for ideas - and they put together a special and different tour of South Africa's nearby capital, Pretoria. As before, the whole tour was faultless and Chris went out of his way to be helpful, picking us up from a different terminal, looking after our bags, working out we needed a lunch stop, and delivering us back to departures in good time for our flight home. We saw the Union Buildings, toured the embassy area, the impressive University, the markets around the railway station, saw the Voortrekker Monument, and had a moving visit around Freedom Park and the musuem there. The thing I like about Chris is that he has a vast amount of knowledge - about safaris/camps/guides, wildlife, birds, plants, history (from the start of mankind through to current), and senses how much you can absorb. He is passionate about all things - as you can see when he describes some of the aspects of Africa's history. I would almost visit South Africa just to get his insights and explanations - it makes the whole visit so much more memorable.
- Elaine C004 days and 3 nights in Pilanesberg National ParkChris picked us up from OR Tambo, was very friendly and helped us with all our bags. Right from the very beginning, we can tell that he has a very good grasp on the area, the animals, and the people. He helped us check in and started a game drive right away. In the 4 days that we spent with him, we never saw him tired from driving, explaining, and sharing his expertise. He was very patient and accommodating with all our questions. His years of experience shaped his profound view of the game reserve and the animals. He knows even the smallest details of everything - how each animal is part of the bigger wildlife picture, the names of the plants and how they are used, and how each insect and leaf contribute to the biome. He knows the area, the staff and other guides and everyone knows him too. We were very lucky to have seen the big 5 and numerous action-packed encounters while on the road. We brought home beautiful photos, deeper appreciation and knowledge of the animals and wildlife and unforgettable memories.
- fornimartina00UnforgettableChris is an extremely well prepared guide, a true nature lover and a great animals-spotter. I learned a lot about the park of Pilanesberg and it's gorgeous environment, I have seen many beautiful creatures and had a very pleasant day! Good service of picking up and drop off as well.
- nmi_munro00Day out to Maropeng and Sterkfontein cavesTravelled out to Sterkfontein caves and Maropeng with Chris. He is a mine of information--historical, geographical, botanical and geological. Also, a very pleasant guy--humble but enormously experienced and well informed. The caves are impressive in a way, but I've seen better stalactites in China and better cave lighting in Gibraltar. What was more impressive was Chris's knowledge of medicinal and other uses of plants growing outside. Now I know what to put on an infected wound in the African bush. The carse is a strange landscape. You do feel close to the early hominids running around there. It feels like a landscape full of ghosts. Maropeng is a wonderful building and a great location, but the museum itself feels a bit tired. There isn't that much to see. Good message though: we are all human, no matter what we look like, and we came from Africa.
- Malindi12300Pilanesberg - Great Way to Spend a DayChris Green has a wealth of knowledge about the area on the way to Pilanesberg, as well as, the park itself. This makes for a fact- and fun-filled day. Chris’s love for what he’s doing is apparent and his enthusiastic guiding makes for a day very well spent.
- trooper9200Perfect Safari TourPenny was very helpful in planning out three day Pilanesberg tour, and Chris was a perfect guide. You should at least plan for two, better three days in Pilanesberg as you will need 2,5 hours for getting there/back and frequent game drives will increase your chances not only to see the big five, but also to enjoy other wildlife without a hurry, an have an eye for plants and geology. Chris shared his vast knowledge in all these fields and made our trip not only interesting, but also really enjoyable.
- alex_rdf00Fantastic safari!We did a day trip from Johannesburg to Pilanesberg National Park -- it was really fun and super reasonably priced. I would totally recommend it! Our guide, Chris, was excellent: he was extremely knowledgeable and had good answers for all our questions (we asked many!), whether on nature/animals or society/culture/history; he was very friendly and kind; and he was extraordinary at spotting animals (it would have been impossible for us to see as many without him -- we saw elephants, rhinos, crocodiles, hippos, giraffes, a hyena and a jackal, among many others). Chris is passionate about what he does and it definitely shows, which makes for a great experience for his customers.
- ckl199100Excellent Safari Experience, Great ValueI just completed my third day trip from Johannesburg to Pilanesberg National Park with Cashan and each time it's been fantastic. I really have no excuse for waiting so long to leave a review... Pilanesberg is great value for a safari that can be done in a day - I've seen lions, rhinos, hippos, elephants, giraffes, zebra, wildebeests, warthogs, all sorts of other antelope, hyenas, and jackals on my trips so far. Chris is also a great guide - full of information on all the animals in the park and life in general! Could not recommend this tour highly enough!
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Jul 2023 • Couples
Chris’s knowledge of the geology and paleontology of the site as well as his ecological knowledge was hard to believe someone could know so much in detail!
Written July 21, 2023
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Buy it with
Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time provided by Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris
Product Overview: Cradle of Humankind - A look back in time
Number of Reviews
Number of Photos