Begin your tour with a pickup from your preferred Kolkata location as per You Tell Us we Pickup you. Meet our Trip Representative, then start your Day Trip .
Bishnupur is a town in Bankura District in the state of West Bengal, India. It is famous for its Terracotta Temples and the Baluchari Sarees. Terracotta is a term normally used for sculptures made of earthenwares. Bishnupur is located around 4 hours drive from Kolkata.
Bishnupur was ruled under the Gupta period by local Hindu kings . The place is also known as Mallabhum as it was the capital of Malla kings for almost thousand years. Around 994 AD the place was named as Vishnupur, derived from the name of the Lord ‘Vishnu’, a very prominent Hindu God. The Malla rulers were Vaishnavites. They built the famous terracotta temples at Bishnupur.
Major attractions of Bishnupur
• Terracotta Temples – These are the specialities of Bishnupur crafted by the artists of the region from laterite and brick. The temples are made of Terracotta tiles having scenes from the epic of Mahabharata.
• Bishnupur Mela – It is held every year during the last week of December near the Madanmohan temple.
• Bishnupur Utsav – Its a recent addition and is held immediately after the Bishnupur Mela. It is a classical music and dance festival in recognition to the Bishnupur gharana of music. This gharana of music, a form of Hindustani Classical Music, had enjoyed the Royal patronage and flourished to reach its peak during the 18th century. It is rooted in the Dhrupad style and is accompanied by Tabla , Sitar, Harmonium and flute.
• A snake festival is held on August.
• The Durga Puja, Kali Puja and Diwali is also celebrated with much enthusiasm.
Spots to visit at Bishnupur
• Madanmohan Temple
• Jore Bangla Temple of Keshta Rai
• Poncho Rotno Temple of Shyam Rai
• Acharya Jogesh Chandra Museum
• Pathar Darwaja
• Garh Darwaja
• Lal Bandh
• Stone Chariot
• Nutan Mahal
Airconditioned Car for Transport with Knowledgeable Car Driver