Kings ruled the central plains of Sri Lanka from Polonnaruwa 800 years ago, when it was a thriving commercial and religious centre. The glories of that age can be found in the archaeological treasures that still give a pretty good idea of how the city looked in its heyday. You'll find the archaeological park a delight to explore, with hundreds of ancient structures – tombs and temples, statues and stupas – in a compact core. The Quadrangle alone is worth the trip.
Duration: 5–12 hours
Start time: Check availability
Live guide: English
Audio guide: English
Print or digital reading material such as a guide, map, brochure, etc.
What's not included
- Private transportation
- Entry/Admission - Gal Vihara
- Entry/Admission - Archaeological Museum
- Entry/Admission - Polonnaruwa Vatadage
- Entry/Admission - Lankathilaka Image House
- Entry/Admission - Thivanka Image House
- Entry/Admission - Rankoth Vehera
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- Bandaranayake Intl Airport, Colombo Sri Lanka
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 237049P12
- Infant seats available
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- Which attractions will I visit with Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka?
- How much is Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka?
- Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka price starts from $80.00. Discover and book Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka on Tripadvisor
- What is the Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka cancellation policy?
- Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka?
- Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka is hosted by Lux Tours Lanka. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Lux Tours Lanka on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 237049P12
Reserve your spot
per group (up to 3)
Lowest price guaranteeReserve now & pay laterFree cancellation
- You'll get picked upSee departure details
- 1Gal ViharaStop: 45 minutes - Admission excludedSee details
- 2Archaeological MuseumStop: 60 minutes - Admission excludedSee details
- 3Polonnaruwa VatadageStop: 30 minutes - Admission excludedSee details
- 4Lankathilaka Image HouseStop: 30 minutes - Admission excludedSee details
- 5Thivanka Image HouseStop: 30 minutes - Admission excludedSee details
- 6Rankoth VeheraStop: 30 minutes - Admission excludedSee details
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator:
- Lux Tours Lanka65Kandy, Sri LankaJoined in January 2020
- Christopher T0 contributionsThe best Sri Lankan experience with Lux Tours Lanka where you are truly part of a familyAs a father and daughter travelling around Sri Lanka, Lux tours lanka was a knowledgeable, insightful and caring experience. He went above and beyond to share and communicate his culture with us, we truly felt like part of his family. He toured us through some of the best parts of Kandy, giving us the local insight and experience, it was truly memorable. Would 100% use Lux tours Lanka again if we returned and would recommended to anyone seeking an affordable, authentic, comfortable and memorable experience.Written November 8, 2023
- Q3009CUmartab0 contributionsA great day in KandyHow lucky to meet Laxman Liyanage. It has been an incredible experience in Kandy. Many temples, tea factory, fruit tasting and typical Sri Lankan dancing. Thank you Laxman, you are unique.Written October 17, 2023
- Go583147032400 contributionsawesome driver and comfortable car, very helpful for my last minute planningFor a last minute custom tour arrangement, Lux Tours came through. I contacted the agency the day before with my plan to get a quote. Luxman came back with a price and put me at ease me that I didn’t have anything booked. Kesara, the driver, would help me with finding accommodations and the sites and safaris. They showed up at 9am at my hotel with the car, which was very clean and new. Kesara was a great driver For my four-day trip from Kandy to Wilpattu National Forest. I felt safe with him driving as he’s been doing this for 20 years. He reminded me a few times that I’m in charge of where and how long we go. I appreciated it. He was a great source of information as well. He asked the locals in Sigiriya when it opened , and i got there at 5:10am to see the sunrise on top: The internet stated that the opening time was 6:30am, which was aftee sunrise. He also arranged my safari at Kuadalla National Park to wjere I got to see lots of elephants in the wild up close. The elephants had moved north from Minneriya to Kuadalla. People who went to Minneriya (the more popular park) would not have seen many elephants. Kesara also drove me to see the accommodation options. For example at Wilpattu, I didn’t like the first two places. He was patient and said he’d drive to as many places until I found one I liked. In hindsight, I should’ve researched the accommodations in advance to save time and energy. He also arranged a knowledgeable guide for my Wilpattu safari. Overall for a last minute trip going solo, Kesara and Lux Tours came through wonderfully..Written October 12, 2023
- Curiosity499373220310 contributionsAmazing Kandy!The trip was very good! Amazing views, nice people and the guide gave is a lot of information, we’ve seen the whole city!Written October 9, 2023
- K6615KUsophiew0 contributionsAmazing day tour in KandyWe had an amazing tour where we got to see temples, tea factory, spice walk and many other things! The guide was really friendly and ready to answer all out questionsWritten October 9, 2023
- Quest187169206020 contributionsVisit to KandySanjeewa and Jackie took us around Kandy and to Rooth Relic temple and our experience was just fantastic. They were nice and polite and took care of us. Driving was good and vehicle was clean. Thank you for taking care of us.Written September 23, 2023
- paulwC7550BQ0 contributionsCheck Current Pricellent and he arranged a good tour guide. However, after we booked and paid for the tour the tour operator contacted us to say the price had gone up, that we should seek a refund and then pay the new, higher price in cash! I refused to do this and instead paid the difference between the ‘old’ and the ‘new’ price which was $14USD.Written August 30, 2023
- jamaicababy09040 contributionsMet by luck but will always keep in our heartsWe met Mr Lakshman when we asked in our hotel for a tuk tuk driver to go to royal botanical garden. The driver asked if it was okay to show us a little more and we happily said yes. We went to the big buddha statue in Kandy where he taught us a lot of interesting facts. Then we went to botanical garden where he joined us on our walk through the garden. Fascinating how much he knew about the plants and the garden. He also managed to let us taste various fruits on our way and drove us to a great restaurant with a wonderful view on the city. As it was so nice we decided to drive with him the next day as well. Lakshman was on time and we went to the tooth temple. Again he impressed us with his knowledge about Buddhism and the temple. After the temple we went to the Elephant orphanage, then he again made sure that we are not hungry and stopped for some fruits on our way to the Tea Factory. After this trip we drove to the Kandy Spice Walk where we learned a lot about spices, herbs, Ayurveda and even got some yummy food and a wonderful massage. Our next stop was the carving family where we learned a lot about ebony, mahagoni and teak and how they make colorful masks and other wooden products. What a nice family! As always our driver made sure that we have happy full bellies that's why he drove us to a local restaurant where we ate delicious kotthu. I really want to emphasize that in these 2 days we learned so much about Kandy and Sri Lanka thanks to our driver! Mr Lakshman was always very friendly and made sure everyone was feeling fine. He is a safe driver, helpful, always smiling and a wonderful teacher. With my 7 year old son he was also very very nice and I am sure we will miss him because he treated us like family. Thank you so much!Written July 26, 2023
- 52snehak0 contributionsAmazing experienceWe really had a great experience being first time in lanka it was surely one the experience to remember for life. Guide is so so nice person who explained us Every detailed about Kandy city and took us places which i as really lifetime experience nothing like only commercial... If you want to feel like home in other country...someone who will guide you protect you and ensure you are safe during ur journey ..do meet him and contact him.. thank you from India .. we will always be grateful meeting you...STUTI☸️Written July 17, 2023
- GauthierBouc0 contributionsCustomized Kandy city tourWe had a really nice day with our guide who showed us all of Kandy. He provided good and interesting information about the city and the places we visited. He customized the day to our liking and got us to places where we would not come travelling alone. We would defenitly recommend it!Written July 15, 2023
- friedas1700 contributionsNice tripIt was great. The tuktuk driver was friendly but sometimes talked to much. We have seen a lot. Many temples, tasted fresh fruits and a tea company.Written June 24, 2023
- Y4554IG_0 contributionsNice trip around Kandy and surburbsWe had a nice two- day tour with Mr.Laxman Liyanage, visited Kandy, suburbs,Matale, Dambulla, Pidurangala.Kandy’s tour included tea factory, Kataragama Dewale, Temple of Buddha’s Tooth, national dances festival and other places. Mr. Liyanage was very friendly, fretful, polite and helpful. He gave us the detailed info about the sights, culture and traditions of Shri Lanka, accompanied us everywhere, helped to get the free food on Full Moon festival, gave some nice fruits. Even after leaving Kandy he called us and tried to help. Thanks for getting knowing the countryWritten June 5, 2023
- C7078XHrobertl0 contributionsFantastic guide tour of KandyWe had a fantastic tuk tuk tour exploring the main sights of Kandy. There is nothing better than seeing a city from a local's perspective, and Laxman is the perfect guide for it. He is very professional, knowledgeable and friendly. We have learnt so much from him and can not recommend him highly enough if you are looking for a personal tour guide to show you around the area.Written May 25, 2023
- Katrinafordays0 contributionsGreat way to experience KandyVery knowledgeable tour guide, took us to a wide variety of activities from Kandy cultural show, eating fresh fruit, the royal garden, and temples. He offered more activities but when we weren’t interested in them he didn’t push and adapted the tour plan. We had a great day!Written March 26, 2023
- rossmF5818HX0 contributionsSigiriya rock and elephant tourWe only had a day and half in Kandy and done the full day tour - Sigirya rock and elephant safari. We stopped enroute and on the way home for some traditional Sri Lankan food. He also sorted us out with last minute tickets from Kandy to Ella which were sold out. 10/10 thanks for an amazing day Laxman!Written March 21, 2023
These reviews are the subjective opinions of Tripadvisor members and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Super journée à ses côtés de très bon conseil immersion totale dans cette belle ville de kandy
Visite de l’orphelinat d’éléphant
Très bon guide culinaire
Visite de l’orphelinat d’éléphant
Très bon guide culinaire
Written February 5, 2023
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Buy it with
Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka provided by Lux Tours Lanka
Product Overview: Day Tour to Polannaruwa from Kandy by Lux Tours Lanka
Number of Reviews
Number of Photos