The Sabyinyo volcano hiking adventure takes place in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. Mount Sabyinyo is one of the eight volcanoes that comprise the Virunga ranges of East and Central Africa. Mount Sabyinyo hike is one of the highly rated tourist activities after mountain gorilla tracking. The other two volcanoes on the Uganda side of the Vriunga massif are Mount Muhabura and Mount Gahinga.
Ages 10-60, max of 10 per group
Start time: Check availability
Live guide: English
- Hiking permit and park entrance fees only
- Entry/Admission - Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- Transport, accommodation, meals and other costs
- Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, JJPQ+98G, Nkanda, Uganda The hiking trek starts at the main entrance of Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 123662P4
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- How much is One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park?
- One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park price starts from $120.00. Discover and book One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park on Tripadvisor
- What is the One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park cancellation policy?
- One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park?
- One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park is hosted by Bamboo Ecotours. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Bamboo Ecotours on Tripadvisor. Discover and book One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park on Tripadvisor
- How much time do I need for One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park?
- On average, this experience will take approximately 9h. Discover and book One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 123662P4
- You'll start atMgahinga Gorilla National ParkOr, you can also get picked upSee departure details
- 1Mgahinga Gorilla National ParkStop: 9 hours - Admission includedThe Sabyinyo volcano hiking adventure takes place in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. Mount Sabyinyo is one of the eight volcanoes that comprise the Virunga ranges of East and Central Africa. Mount Sabyinyo hike is one of the highly rated tourist activities after mountain gorilla tracking. The other two volcanoes on the Uganda side of the Vriunga massif are Mount Muhabura and Mount Gahinga. Note that the price indicated is only for one hiking permit. No other costs are covered.Read more
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Joined in December 2017
#2 of 1,057 Tours & Activities in Kampala
- Seasavvy00Excellent service and fantastic experienceWe did the 3 day budget gorilla trekking tour to Rwanda, which included a visit to the genocide museum in Kigali, as well as a visit to the golden monkeys. Our guide (Gabriel) was extremely good and knowledgeable. He kept us fully informed at all times, and went the extra mile to try and arrange some birdwatching at short notice (sadly, we ran out of time to do that due to longer than expected trek to find gorillas). The accommodation (Tiloreza Volcanoes Lodge) and meal options were great throughout. The gorilla and golden monkey experience was managed by Rwandan national parks which may be the best organized I've seen in any national park. I highly recommend Bamboo Ecotours and would definitely use them again!
- Kristen77700Top notch team and amazing experiencesHad a wonderful time with this team on a 4 day tour in Uganda - pre-communication was fast and thorough with Edison building a trip that was perfect for us. Between visiting gorillas, golden monkeys and some absolutely amazing accommodation the big ticket hits were great (I asked to spend a bit extra to stay somewhere extra special and they did not disappoint, we were over the moon). The smaller day to day things were smooth and really wonderful - our guide Godfrey was great. The coffee making experience was also fantastic - done on a slightly rainy afternoon but the warm coffee smells and wonderful hospitality of the company made for a lovely time. Even more impressively, when something very much out of the company’s control forced a change to our itinerary they quickly organized excellent alternatives, and discussed these with us at every step. A company that can not only deliver a great time but also think on their feet to keep us safe and happy - would absolutely recommend Bamboo Ecotours and would use again!
- lorrainec28800Bamboo eco tours the only way to get to the gorillasEdison at bamboo eco tours was extremely helpful in planning our visit through Kigali and into the Bwindi forest and then in to Entebbe in Uganda. Herbert our driver was the very best. The gorilla trek was the highlight and felt in awe as we watched these beautiful gigantic gorillas in the jungle. Everything went according to plan accomodation was wonderful and meals superb. Bamboo Eco Tours you are the best.
- pemdoc61300Amazing Gorilla Trekking ExperienceI was a solo female traveler and was looking for a gorilla trekking tour to do for a weekend in Kabale. I chose Bamboo ecotours based on the great reviews from TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed. I am so happy I chose this tour company. Firstly, Edison's communication was always prompt and informative. Second, my tour guide, Herbert, was great, he's so kind and made sure I had everything I needed throughout my 3 day tour. I would absolutely choose this company again. Thank you so much for the experience, it was unforgettable!
- lucashX2801AX00Once in a lifetime gorilla trekking in Uganda!!!My friend and me did a 3-day tour from Kigali to Uganda and back to Kigali, to do the gorilla trekking in Uganda. The tour was great. We were picked up and dropped off by our guide Godfrey. He gave us all the insights about the hike and both countries we travelled, helped us at the border crossing and made all our demands possible. The lodge we stayed in was great and had amazing staff. The hike was intense but so worth it, we spent 1 ½h with the gorillas. An unbelievable experience and would 1000% recommend!!!
- Escape3731465393300Bamboo Ecotours 7 days Uganda Gorilla and Golden Monkey TrekkingEdison at Bamboo Ecotours organized a wonderful 7 day trip to Uganda that included Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi and Mgahinga National Park, and Golden Monkey trekking and a Batwa Trail Experience in Mgahinga National Park. I choose to work with Bamboo Ecotours because they had great views and because they are a local Ugandan company that supports the surrounding communities. Edison was great to work with while planning the trip. He was very responsive, had good recommendations and answered all of my questions. Our driver, Jackson, made our experience even better. In addition to being a great driver he became a true friend. It was interesting to learn about his experiences growing up in Uganda. Jackson always had good suggestions on things to do when we had free time. The gorilla trekking experiences were amazing. Spending an hour with these beautiful creatures in their own habitat was incredible. I highly recommend Bamboo Ecotours. Request Jackson for your driver!
- 1livetowander00Bamboo Ecotours is wonderful!I did the 5 day tour through Bamboo Ecotours. My trip was excellent. My guide, Herbert, was wonderful. Very knowledgeable and good company for me. He helped me buy food for a local Batwa community near Bwindi and he gave me lots of info about Uganda and the local culture. Edison was extremely prompt with answering all my questions before the trip, does he ever sleep?! The lodges I stayed in were top notch and the trekking to see the gorillas was both difficult and amazing. The chimpanzee trek was slightly less strenuous, but equally wonderful. Visit the Batwa Tribe and buy food and/or bring jerseys for them. They are poor, but will give you a very warm welcome and are appreciative of anything you can give. I highly recommend Bamboo Ecotours!
- J9247WUderekm00Once in a LifetimeThis was our first visit to Africa and to say it exceeded all expectations would be an understatement. A big thank you to Bamboo who arranged everything, from a seamless airport experience to visa questions and border crossing. Edison was available for all our visa questions and our guide Godfrey was amazing. Both made our experience first rate and I highly recommend them. Thank you Edison and Godfrey for a great trip.
- belaldridge00Fabulous!!! Exceeded my expectations by miles!Everything was absolutely perfect. I honestly wouldn’t change a thing! From the ease of enquires and booking with Edison to the amazing guide- Jackson was amazing. I’ve traveled to 30+ countries and done numerous tours of different kinds and he is one of the best I’ve had the pleasure to tour with. Also, as a single female traveler I felt totally safe and had such a joyous time! I also love that their company has a social conscience and does good for the community! I know there’s so many options to choose from out there, but if you’re looking for memories that will stay with you for life, and knowing that your trip will make a huge difference, choose bamboo!
- 730lolat00Experience of a lifetime!I was invited to a conference in Kampala, so I thought it would be nice to spend some time doing tourist activities in Uganda while I am in the area (after all, who knows when I will have an opportunity to come back!). I was initially very nervous about traveling alone -- I tried very hard to find a group tour, but there weren't any leaving at times that lined up with my conference. After reading excellent reviews of Bamboo Ecotours on several websites, I decided to inquire about tours with this company. In my mind, one of the main advantages of this tour was that this one started in Kigali, which is closer to the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest than Kampala. This means less time riding in a car and more time with wildlife! Also, it gave me an opportunity to visit Kigali, which turned out to be a very cool city. Edison, the head of Bamboo Ecotours (and the main contact person), helped to assuage all of my fears. He was very responsive to my WhatsApp messages. When I mentioned that I'm a female solo traveler and that my family was worried about me riding alone in a van with an unknown man for 4 days, he set me up with two guides: a seasoned male guide with four years of experience (Charles) and a female trainee guide (Emilly). This way, I felt more comfortable and Emilly got some hands-on experience. Both Charles and Emilly immediately made me feel very comfortable on the tour. In fact, they became like family over the four days! I was a bit sad to say goodbye to them at the end. They are both from the region of Uganda where the gorilla tours take place, so they are extremely knowledgeable about the area. As we passed various crops/animals/landmarks/etc, they had interesting facts to tell me about each of them. They also helped me with navigating various things in Uganda, like helping me get a Ugandan SIM card after we crossed the border from Rwanda (it turned out that my Rwandan SIM card did not work in Uganda). The hotels that I stayed at (Ichumbi Gorilla Lodge and Buffalo Safari Lodge) were supposed to be mid-range hotels but honestly they were some of the nicest and most luxurious hotels that I have ever stayed it. From the moment I arrived until the moment that I checked-out, the staff at these places did everything possible to make me comfortable. In both places, I had my own little cabin, with nice interior decor and excellent views of nature. I was able to get delicious vegetarian meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner at both hotels. Buffalo Safari Lodge even had a swimming pool with views of grazing buffalo! The animal experiences were even better than I had imagined. I saw a whole family of gorillas at Bwindi, and I was able to get very close to them. Charles put me on one of the shorter hikes and I was very grateful for that, as it gave me time to meet the Batwa people in the afternoon. I had read some mixed reviews of the Batwa experiences online, but I think it's very important to meet them. They were removed from the forest so that the gorillas would have protected land, and they still feel the repercussions of that act today. The Ugandan government did not compensate them in any way when taking their land. I really appreciated having a chance to meet with some of the people to talk about their experiences and see how they live with my own eyes. If I can find ways to help them in the future, I will. For others reading this review before booking a trip, I would recommend bringing clothes in your suitcase to donate if you have extra space. I wish that I had done this. The Queen Elizabeth National Park was also a highlight of my trip. We saw two lionesses and a female leopard in a tree during the safari drive. Then we took a cruise on the Kazinga Channel and we saw so many hippos, buffalo, birds, crocodiles, and even some elephants. There were also plenty of monkeys and elephants that we encountered just by driving around the park. On the last morning, I did a chimpanzee trek in the Kalinzu Forest. Although we only saw two chimpanzees, we saw plenty of colobus monkeys and baboons. At the end of the trip, we had a delicious African buffet lunch and then we stopped by the equator sign for some photos on the way back to Entebbe. I want to end by saying that I cannot recommend Bamboo Ecotours enough. They will make sure that you see everything that you want to see, and they will do it very safely. Charles was an absolute master at navigating the winding narrow dirt roads near the Bwindi Forest. Emilly sat with me through every meal so that I wouldn't have to eat alone, which was very sweet. They both went above and beyond what I expected from a guide. At the end of the trip, I realised that I had left my swim suit at my last hotel, and Edison contacted another driver from his company and arranged for them to bring my swim suit to Entebbe. If I ever come back to Uganda, I will absolutely use Bamboo Ecotours again. In the meantime, I will tell all of my friends who are considering booking trips to Uganda to hire this company!
- jacksonw82600A great experience in a great counteyI had a great time on my trip and my guide Fred was amazing! Right from the initial booking process, Edison made the process simple and I was well informed. In country, Fred my guide was on time, highly knowledgeable and great company the entire way. I would highly recommend Bamboo ecotours again!
- sousabar00Spectacular wildlife viewing in UgandaThank you Bambooecotours for a delightful 14 day tour through the beautiful country of UgandaZ. We were able to see the big, five elephants, giraffes, water, buffalo gorillas, chimpanzees elephants, zebras lions. It was spectacular.. Fred was our guide and was able to provide us with unique experiences for viewing all the different animals. He’s a pro at finding the right spots for the best photography. If you are interested in going on a safari but you’re intimidated by traveling to Kenya or Tanzania check out Uganda it is a beautiful country Bambooecotours really provide you with an immersion into the country. The people its culture it’s just a wonderful experience we traveled by jeep we stayed in very high-end safari lodges all over the country side people were wonderful the accommodations were excellent it was a wonderful tour. Thank you Fred and Addison for providing us with the trip of a lifetime.
- L9767XUjosephd00Great companyWas picked up in entebbe and we drove to bwindi park to do the gorilla trekking was one of the best things i have done. The lodges were all excellent and the guide John was very professional and wonderful in all ways. Highly recommend bamboos ecotours
- Freedom3544813300200Gorillas and so much moreWhat a great experience all round. John was a great guide who was very knowledgeable and an excellent safe driver. The organic coffee farm and cultural visits were great additions to the amazing gorilla experience.
- melaniebB7548ZO00Came for gorillas, left with so much MORE than expectedWe booked a journey for a four day trip to Uganda with two days of gorilla trekking traveling from Colorado in the United States. Itinerary planning was a breeze with Edison - we received super fast email responses to every question, he made great accommodations recommendations for us, and everything was super straightforward! From the moment we landed in Kigali, we easily connected with our Bamboo guide, Jackson. He was a wonderful guide for our four days in Uganda. Not only did he navigate the bumpy Uganda forest roads like a pro, but was really helpful on our gorilla treks with securing great family assignments for what we were interested in and hike lengths each day. We spent many hours each day in the car with Jackson and it felt like we were traveling with a friend! We really enjoyed having conversation with him and learning about Uganda from a local. His English was spectacular. He was able to answer all of our questions about Uganda life, culture and history. He went above and beyond any expectations we had on a hospitality level! We would absolutely recommend using Bamboo Ecotours (ask for Jackson!!!!) and planning your own visit to Uganda. It was truly life changing. This was part of our honeymoon trip overseas and we can’t stop talking about it! It was one of the coolest experiences we have shared.
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Jul 2019 • Solo
This was a supremely difficult hike. 75% of it is steep, sometimes so steep that there were "ladders" nailed into the climbing areas which were really not much more than sticks nailed together. The hike takes you up all 3 peaks reaching the top of the highest peak after about 5.5 hours. It's about 4.5 hours to get back down. If you plan to make this hike, train for it first. It's difficult and at high altitude so oxygen is rare. The terrain and views from the top where you stand in Uganda, Rwanda and Congo at the same time are incredible. Make this hike but train for it first.
Written July 22, 2019
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Hello, Sabyinyo is indeed a difficult hike given the rugged nature of the volcano. As you pointed out, however, the trek is very rewarding. So great you made it to the peak! -Edison
Written August 17, 2019
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of Tripadvisor LLC.
One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park provided by Bamboo Ecotours
Product Overview: One Day Sabyinyo Volcano Hike, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
Number of Reviews
Number of Photos