San Basilio de Palenque, is a village in the Bolivar region located 60 minutes from Cartagena. It was declared a Cultural and Intangible Heritage of Humanity for being the first slave city in America to be considered free. San Basilio de Palenque, was the refuge of many blacks who were enslaved and who in the sixteenth century fled from the Spanish inhabitants of the city of Cartagena. And under Benkos Biohó they achieved their freedom. The palenques were impaled by Africans to take refuge from those who persecuted them. This Colombian people still retain many of the African cultural traditions, such as language, social organization, cultural rites, medical practices, dance and food, all due to the isolation in which people live. In this city they have developed their own language, a mixture of African, Spanish and Portuguese languages called PALENQUERO.
per adult (price varies by group size)
Lowest price guaranteeReserve now & pay laterFree cancellation
Start time: Check availability
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Local Guide
- Bilingual Guide
- Presentation of traditional dances
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 180720P6
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- How much is Visit Palenque?
- Visit Palenque price starts from $170.00. Discover and book Visit Palenque on Tripadvisor
- What is the Visit Palenque cancellation policy?
- Visit Palenque cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Visit Palenque on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Visit Palenque?
- How much time do I need for Visit Palenque?
- On average, this experience will take approximately 4h. Discover and book Visit Palenque on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 180720P6
Reserve your spot
- You'll get picked upSee departure details
- 1San Basilio De PalenqueStop: 3 minutesSan Basilio de Palenque, is a village in the Bolivar region located 60 minutes from Cartagena. It was declared a Cultural and Intangible Heritage of Humanity for being the first slave city in America to be considered free. San Basilio de Palenque, was the refuge of many blacks who were enslaved and who in the sixteenth century fled from the Spanish inhabitants of the city of Cartagena. And under Benkos Biohó they achieved their freedom.Read more
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Local Cartagena Tours
Joined in January 2018
- Lindamlynski00This company may be a scam. They did not show up for my tour. No email or phone call.This company did not show up for my tour to the bird aviary. Left me waiting for 40 minutes outside my accommodations. No email & no phone call!
- luvbk1122100Highly RecommendMy friends and I did the real cartagena tour with Marlon. He was so friendly, funny and made us feel very comfortable. He gave us the real information on how people live and showed us all areas of Cartagena. He is very knowledgeable and full of facts. We didn't take a boring history tour, he showed us how everyday people live.
- Erin_Mac100Amazing and Authentic Experience!My friends and I visited Cartagena for vacation and had booked a boat tour of the islands ahead of time with Marlon. We visited rosario, cholon, and baru, and the experience was incredible. Marlon and his crew provided excellent service and were extremely friendly and fun. Marlon provided us with educational information as well, so we could learn about Cartagena and the islands while we were there. The islands themselves were beautiful and beyond what we even imagined. Everything about the day was perfect, and was a great mix of fun and local experiences. We had no plans the next day, and had such a great time, that we booked another tour with Marlon. My friends and I went on the "real Cartagena" tour, which provided us with a ton of interesting information about the neighborhoods and history. We felt incredibly safe the whole time, and it provided us with the opportunity to see different areas of Cartagena that were much less touristy and that we would not have seen otherwise. Marlon is the best tour guide and I cannot recommend enough!!
- LVBossLife00First Class Service!This was by far the best trip of 2019 and Marlon made sure of it! He was the best tour guide. Our travel group consisted of 6 girlfriends that are somewhat hard to please but he was able to “ handle us” and we had an absolute BALL! We were able to experience the best of Cartagena because we trusted him and felt safe. Every tour was excellent and reasonably priced. If you are considering visiting and want a memorable experience book with Marlon! You won’t regret it! He and his company are Amazing!
- NaeRoyal00Trustworthy and Fun Fun Fun!Finding people to trust in Colombia was hard but Marlon made me feel comfortable right away! As a solo female traveler that meant the world to me. I did 3 tours with Local Cartagena Tours because they were so reasonably priced and everyone made me feel like family. The first was the party bus where I had a blast and definitely drank too much, lol. There were people on the bus from all over the world but the music was universal and everyone was super friendly. I made lifetime connections and would recommend it for people who are alone and want to meet new people. My next tour was a beach day, that was relaxing and well planned. The final was a shopping trip at the market. I can't wait to return to Cartagena with friends and do it all over again.
- tsedey00Personalized and authenticOur trip to Palanque was fantastic. The guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. The food was amazing. Everything ran on schedule but they accommodated our detours as well. Palanque is a special place and we could tell that the tour guides really care about the community and have a strong relationship with the people.
- raph_ospi00Beautiful Experience!Our friend recommended that we contact Marlon for anything in Cartagena. Once we landed, we did just that and he was amazing. We went to Las Islas del Rosario and Playa Blanca in Barú on a private boat. The boat was a nice size (capacity for 11) and very comfortable for just my wife and I. The speakers were great and we were able to connect our music and party to our liking. All of the islands were beautiful and we made multiple stops to relax on the beaches, swim in the middle of the ocean, and party with locals and tourists in Cholón (rented a jet ski, ate, drank and danced in the water). Marlon was awesome. He taught us a lot about Cartagena and the culture and explained certain sites as we passed them. He really took care of us and we really appreciated that. He was also able to book a separate tour to Santa Marta for us which worked out great. Thank you so much for everything Marlon! You are the best and will be highly recommended to any of my friends or family that go to Cartagena.
- Nuris N00The most fun I’ve ever had!!!I could write a whole book about how amazing our encounter with Marlon was. He is so much fun, very knowledgeable about Cartagena, it’s history. We took the party bus and then he took us around the most historic and popular sights. I came back with so much pride in my African roots and all that means being a mulata. Thank you Marlon!!!! His pride for his town and his people washes over you like a warm blanket. When you are around him you feel like you are in a cloud and you never want to come down. He is fun, friendly, welcoming, a true gentleman, very respectful and above all very knowledgeable. I think he can teach a history class in any university. I recommend you to take all the tours he offers, you will never regret it. Because of him I’m looking forward to another trip to Colombia and seeing more of that amazing country. He made me fall in love with this country, with Cartagena and all their people. Thank you Marlon we will keep in touch. What an amazing guy!!!!!!❤️🙏🙏💪💪💪💪
- Hernandez092800Party bus - chivasThe best party bus I have ever experienced. Marlon was the best entertainer; very funny and always checking on everyone to make sure we all had fun. This was beyond my expectations. Thank you so much Marlon. I can’t wait until my next visit ☺️
- OnAir16159000Best representative of Cartagena and Colombia. Best tour guide around.Marlon was recommended to me by a friend that I had met in Cartagena. I was not dissappointed, as Marlon is hands down one of the best guides I have ever experienced. He agreed to do a personal tour of Palenque for me and a friend. He was great fun, personable and had an incredible local knowledge. He also knew many of the locals. Marlon is fab. If you get a chance, don't hesitate to jump on board. He is truly a cultural embassador and a credit to the Cartagenian tourist industry.
- briisoheartless00Best tour guide ever!Marlon is the best thing in Cartagena. He is such an amazing tour guide and he makes you feel very comfortable throughout the tour. I did a party bus and a private island tour with him and I recommend it to everybody. He was so friendly and was definitely informative about his city. The party bus tour is a one of a kind it’s nothing better than listening to good music with good food and good drinks with a good tour guide.
- travelkayy00THE BEST!!Marlon is the best tour guide there is! Not only does he accommodate ANY request, he goes above and beyond to make your experience better than you expected. I was traveling solo and he helped me navigate many of my plans and most importantly offered to make sure i was safe while exploring the authentic Cartagena. Cant recommend him and his company enough!!!!
- YahYah5000Amazing !!!Marlon is thee best tour guide ever!! His personality and friendliness makes you feel like you’ve known him for years. His tours are professional, informative and lively all at the same time...fun, fun, fun. I’m so happy that we hooked up with Marlon, he made our trip to Cartagena even more exciting. I will recommend his company to all my friends that go to Cartagena. Don’t hesitate to book with him !
- drnina2u00You’ll see the local Cartagena w Marlon!Marlon was referred to me by a tour guide who was unable to provide tours on the days I wanted. This turned out to be one of the best things that happened to me during my time in Cartagena! Marlon took me on a tour of Bazurto market complete with a local Costeñita beer, lulo juice, a piece of art and lunch! He gave me wonderful insights on the local culture of Cartagena, its history and its people! I was having such a great time that at the end of the tour, I asked if he could show me around for at least another hour! I wanted to soak up all the knowledge he could offer! Marlon happily obliged! If you’re in Cartagena, definitely take one of his tours. You will not be disappointed!
- Memile100You haven't seen the REAL Cartegena!This trip was nothing short from amazing. I just came back from my trip six days ago and am trying to best describe my experience. I arrived not having much of a plan but to visit the locals and interact with them by being amongst them. On a trip to the Pope cathedral, a man welcomes my sister and I and hands us his card by saying he does tours. This man, Marlon, answered all of my questions in a timely manner and made me feel comfortable in a country that I was unfamiliar with, including in language. Marlon made sure that we experienced the real Cartegena by having us visit different parts of the city and eating in places that I did not even think of visiting. I just wanted to visit more places! He was very accommodating and worked around our schedule. I also made a visit to Medellin which Marlon made sure I visited. He is very knowledgeable and the level of professionalism was stellar. My experience exceeded my expectations and I am looking forward to visiting again. I am encouraging my friends to see Marlon and company when they make their trip next month. Thanks for everything!!
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Oct 2021 • Solo
Marlon Mendoza- the Tour Guide and owner was AMAZING. He was knowledgeable, energetic, professional, funny and all around a GREAT tour guide. I traveled solo on this tour and he made me feel safe and protected. I couldn’t have asked for a a better experience. Thank you Marlon for making my trip to Cartagena one of best trips ever!!! Highly recommend this gentleman for all your tours in Cartagena .
Written October 5, 2021
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Buy it with
Visit Palenque provided by Local Cartagena Tours
Product Overview: Visit Palenque
Number of Reviews
Number of Photos