The Reinita Cielo Azul Bird Reserve of Proaves was created in 2005 with the purpose of preserving the habitat of the migratory bird Reinita Cielo Azul (Setophaga cerulea), being the first Colombian and South American reserve created by the aim of preserving a migratory bird. Upon arrival you will have a brief introduction of a local guide before you continue with a hike on a colonial path observing the landscape of San Vicente de Chucurí, its surroundings and the tropical rainforest of the reserve. The cobblestone path was built about 150 years ago by the German engineer Geo von Lengerke, with a length of 40 kilometers going from San Vicente de Chucurí to Zapatoca. The hiking tour lasts approx. 4 to 5 hours and the distance you will walk is about 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) or less with an elevation of up to 300 m. At one point you will have the opportunity to watch an endemic hummingbird from Santander: Black Inca (Coeligena prunellei) among other birds, especially hummingbirds.
per adult (price varies by group size)
Lowest price guarantee
Duration: 7–8 hours
Start time: Check availability
Live guide: English, Spanish
- Private transport to the bird reserve
- Hiking of approx. 4 to 5 hours
- Entrance to the natural bird reserve
- Donation of approx. 30,000 COP/ 10 USD for the conservation of the reserve
- Homemade lunch
- English or Spanish speaking accompaniment
- Accompaniment of a specialized guide from Proaves
- Travel insurance and additional insurance for extreme sports
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 211483P25
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
- How much is Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking)?
- Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking) price starts from $244.00. Discover and book Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking) on Tripadvisor
- What is the Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking) cancellation policy?
- Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking) cancellation policy: All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Discover and book Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking) on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking)?
- Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking) is hosted by Wolf Tours Colombia. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Wolf Tours Colombia on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking) on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 211483P25
Reserve your spot
- You'll get picked upSee departure details
- 1San Vicente de ChucuriStop: 6 hoursThe Reinita Cielo Azul Bird Reserve of Proaves was created in 2005 with the purpose of preserving the habitat of the migratory bird Reinita Cielo Azul (Setophaga cerulea), being the first Colombian and South American reserve created by the aim of preserving a migratory bird. Upon arrival you will have a brief introduction of a local guide before you continue with a hike on a colonial path observing the landscape of San Vicente de Chucurí, its surroundings and the tropical rainforest of the reserve. The cobblestone path was built about 150 years ago by the German engineer Geo von Lengerke, with a length of 40 kilometers going from San Vicente de Chucurí to Zapatoca. The hiking tour lasts approx. 4 to 5 hours and the distance you will walk is about 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) or less with an elevation of up to 300 m. At one point you will have the opportunity to watch an endemic hummingbird from Santander: Black Inca (Coeligena prunellei) among other birds, especially hummingbirds.Read more
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Wolf Tours Colombia
Joined in July 2017
#1 of 16 Tours & Activities in Bucaramanga
- Ted E00Highly recommend Wolf Tours, especially our guide CarlosIn February/March 2020 our family group of four spent 8 days in Colombia, 3 in Bogota and 5 in the Department of Santander. Wolf Tours handled all of the arrangements and tours in Santander, and they did a superb job. Just before we arrived, an avalanche blocked the main road from Bucaramanga to San Gil. Dominic saved the day by adjusting our schedule. Among our activities were visits to Giron, Santisimo, Chicamocha Canyon, a cacao finca, a pineapple planation, Lago Topocoro and Rio Sogamoso, and Paramo Santurban (highlight of trip for me, unique ecosystem at 12,000 feet above sea level.) Our guide Carlos was exceptional-- well informed, helpful, patient. Perfectly fluent in English, he also helped us practice our Spanish. By the end of our trip, he became a member of the family, and with our highly professional driver Hector, we formed a real team. Our group gives Wolf Tours and guide Carlos our highest and most enthusiastic recommendation. We are already planning a trip to Barichara, Socorro, and the Department of Boyaca with Carlos.
- dacastanq00Excellent!Excellent service! Private tour and personalized activities. Patient Driver, always on time. Thanks!
- This_is_I_again00The joys certainly outweight the pains!I spoke with Dominic who was very understanding & worked well passed 11:30pm to ensure everything was prepared for us. In the morning, we were picked up by Carlos, our tour guide. His passion & love for his country resonnates with all the information & knowledge he has for his young age. All staff were very personable & courteous. Would recommend to everyone. I will be booking with them again upon my return..
- Glittry M00Great private tours in SantanderWe had a great experience with Wolf tours. It is very easy to contact them and they were quick to respond. We were a family of 7 of which 3 are living and Colombia and 4 in Sweden, different ages, different interests and different languages. We were looking for a flexible and private tour but not overpriced and that was exactly what we got. We got to see beautiful mountains, El parque de Chicamocha, Barichara, El santisimo en Floridablanca, San Gil and El Socorro. Carlos was very helpful, patient and was always on time. Thanks for a beautiful trip and best of luck.
- Germainegenever003 day Tour San Gil, barrichara, GuadalupeWe booked the 3day tour and were very happy with it! From the beginning we had the possibility to ask every question we had. The communication was top! The full tour was very good organized and our touguide (Carlos) was so kind <3 I can only recommend it! Also for the extreme sports:the prices are very good! Also nice hotels! And you get to see things you wouldn't see if you search on Google and just go there like other tourists!
- Franke-Aruba00Excellent day waterraftenIn Bucaramana ColombiaWe had a perfect water raften with Wolf tours Bucaramana Colombia. We were picked up at exactly 7am by Carlo our tourgide. He was with a nice spacious car Carlo did an excellent job, beside a lot of fun with the water raften, he brought us to all kind of beautiful places and offered us a tremendous lunch. If you are in Bucaramana and want to have a great day, contact Wolf tours and ask for Carlo
- Mickey E00Amazing experience!First time visiting Colombia with my girlfriend. After visiting Bucaramanga to see her family, we were told to visit this paragliding tour. Must say I was sceptical at first, however, the wolf Tours team made us feel very welcoming and didn't rush us before we were about to start our Paragliding session. Would recommend this to everyone who is visiting Bucaramanga Colombia!
- sandy_61_zzz00Two Day Tour, San Gil, Socorro and BaricharaThis tour is very flexible and has a knowledgeable guide. The meals and accommodation were excellent. My tour was very relaxed and Sebastian was more than happy to talk to me about life in Santander, customs, traditions etc and patiently help with my Spanish. I have to give a shout-out to my guide Sebastian. I broke my fone during the tour and he went out of his way to organise same day repairs, and waited till they were completed before returning me to my hotel well after normal hours. Service above and beyond. I would recommend this company, and this tour to anyone. My mistake was only going for two days.
- BMCinCTG00Customized trip - perfectly executedWolf Tours came recommended to us and after our 7 days/6 nights in Bucaramanga and Santander, we can not speak highly enough of Dominic and his team! From the first contact to the follow up after our trip and everything in between, we were very pleased and our expectations were exceeded at all times. We booked a variety of activities and were on the go every day. Sebastián was with us every step of the way and took over our camera and assured we had the best time in his home state of Santander. The flexibility, customization, attention to detail and price/value of Wolf Tours are impressive and we will not only keep on recommending their services to 100%, but book again for our next trip to Bucaramanga and surrounding areas. Thank you. Gracias. Danke. For a wonderful time!
- mmaemck003 Day Guadalupe TripWe had so much fun with Dominic and Henry from Wolf Tours. The entire process from beginning to end was great. Dominic was always so prompt with communication and really helped me to put together a perfect trip. Dominic was able to customize the trip to be exactly what we wanted. We did the three day Guadalupe tour and added on the coffee tour. My husband and I throughly enjoyed the coffee tour, learning and seeing how quality coffee is grown and processed. The drive from Bucaramanga to Guadalupe is long, but the SUV was comfortable and views were beautiful. The drive also gave us plenty of time to learn more about Colombia. Once in Guadalupe, my husband really enjoyed the mountain biking. My favorite was our trip to Las Gachas natural swimming holes. The scenery is breathtaking and the natural pools are a perfect way to take in nature while relaxing. I am so happy we booked our tour with Wolf Tours. When we travel we enjoy learning about the area and local culture. Dominic and Henry allowed us to immerse ourselves into the area, without feeling lost because of beginner level Spanish. Both Dominic and Henry have a wealth of knowledge to share. They’ve both lived in the US as well, so it was fun to hear their comparisons. If you’re thinking of booking with Wolf Tours, go ahead and do it! You won’t be disappointed. We had such a phenomenal time in Colombia and we’re so happy Wolf Tours could help with that!
- MrDee201300Wolf Tours provides an excellent service to tourists with multi-lingual guides and tailored itineraries.We went on a two day tour from Bucaramanga to Guadalupe and Barichara accompanied by Dominic Wolf. Dominic provided excellent commentary throughout and was a very safe driver in the often difficult traffic conditions in Colombia.Dominic was very accommodating of our needs and was flexible in adjusting the itinerary when we decided to change our plans. The booking and payment process was excellent and the communication provided throughout was great. I would highly recommend the service provided by Dominic Wolf for tours from Bucaramanga.
- T8866FEbenb00Amazing 2 day tripWe are from Belgium and we arrived in Bucaramanga after a first Colombian flavour in Bogota. We were hosted by this very nice, knowledgeable and perfect trilingual guy, Dominic and a great guide in training, Miguel. They took us to the Las Gachas water holes on the first day and treated us with some nice hidden secrets. On the second day we visited the Juan Curi’s waterfalls and Barichara. We learned a lot about the region, the food (try the Obleas con Arequipe, a caramel delight!) and history. Really contact Dominic if you would like a taste of Colombia! We only did a short two-day tour, but if you have the time, I’m sure Dominic will be able to fill any other period you’d wish to stay!
- SteveandBuffy00Private Tour to see wildlife and natureThe value to me of Wolf Tours is the ability to speak directly to the owner - Dominic, to tell him what we wanted to achieve, and to have him tailor the trip to meet our goals. We wanted to get out of the town, into the country, see some wildlife and do a little hiking. Dominic and his associate Sebastian came through for us and even provided my wife with a rare siting of a Jaguarundi. We had a private tour that included my wife and me, and Dominic and Sebastian, which meant that we could travel in a small 4x4 SUV - a major advantage on the back country Colombian roads and mountain tracks we used. We highly recommend Wolf Tours.
- Angelica D00Wonderful region and fantastic tour companyWe traveled to Santander in July 2018. From the very beginning Dominic, the owner of the tour company, was extremely willing to customize the tour for us (we were traveling with my 3 year-old daughter and wanted to have a more relaxed schedule that fit toddler needs), but also made great recommendations. He was also very professional in his correspondence and in organizing every detail of the trip. The trip itself was unbelievable, Santander is such a beautiful location, the mountains are gorgeous, the Juan Curí waterfalls are wonderful, Barichara is such a charming town, and of course, we loved the cable car ride in the Chicamocha (I have to confess we were a bit nervous, especially because of my daughter, but the ride was very easy and the view is breathtaking). Our tour guide was a very nice young man, very knowledgeable of the region, an extremely good driver (something very important in the winding roads through the mountains), and a great company for us. We did not do extreme sports because we were with my daughter and my mom (and I'm not an extreme sports person anyway) but of course this region is ideal for those who love adventure. We enjoyed the hotels a lot but I wished he had booked more time for Bucaramanga which in the end we had not much time to see. I am Colombian but now live in the US and I am just thrilled to see this company promoting a beautiful, underrated region full of very nice and friendly people.
- Anthony C00Best Day in Bucaramanga, SantanderIf you are looking at the tour brochure, my review refers to the first listed: Bucaramanga - Giron - Santisimo. i was the only person on this private tour which took an entire day. I arrived in Bucaramanga in September 2018 and booked a whole-day tour with Wolf Tours Colombia at the last minute. I had previously communicated with the owner Dominic and downloaded his tour prospectus but could not commit to one particular experience as they all seemed so amazing. Jhoan Sebastian, my tour guide, came over within two hours of my booking to meet with me, take cash payment with receipt, and discuss the following day. I explained I was looking for a broad experience of Bucaramanga as a potential place for me to live and work within the near future. The day I spent with Jhoan Sebastian fully met my expectations and satisfied me completely that I acquired an excellent introductory knowledge to the city and to Giron and various neighborhoods and parks which could ultimately be my locale as a resident. Jhoan Sebastian spoke fluent English but I insisted we speak only in Spanish so I could practice. He had a good sense of humor and was flexible according to my tastes and interests. Lunch and admissions were included in the cost of the tour, which initially struck me as very high, but by the end of the day I felt it was worth it. I recommend this tour. I recommend Jhoan Sebastian as a great and fun person to spend a day with in Santander. I would definitely go on another tour on my next visit to the region.
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Nov 2023 • Solo
Wolf tours arranged a visit for me to Proaves Reinita Cielo Azul Bird Reserve, which was about 4 hrs from Bucaramanga. My driver, Hugo, took me and arranged all of the transfers, including a much needed Hilux to get up the last bit!!! The reserve is absolutely stunning and the bird guide Carlos is extremely knowledgeable and knows all the birds by song (he uses Merlin to bypass language barriers). Accommodation was simple but clean and well maintained. But the bird density and variety was off the charts. I'd go back in a heartbeat. The whole trip was a pleasure.
Written November 15, 2023
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking) provided by Wolf Tours Colombia
Product Overview: Private Tour - Natural Bird Reserve - Proaves (Hiking/Trekking)
Number of Reviews
Number of Photos