What clients can expect Itinerary this is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop at: Kosgoda Sea Turtle Hatchery
The center functions mainly as a hatchery and makes huge efforts to increase the rate of hatching, and survival of baby turtles in their very initial stages. However the Care Centre also works on sick or injured adults; treating them and releasing them back into the ocean. They also run volunteer programs and awareness programs for local and international visitors.
The Hatchery Works In The Following Steps:
1. Staff patrols beach at nights looking for mother sea turtles that come out of the sea to lay eggs.
2. They protect the mother from afar during the nesting process, until she finishes laying the eggs and returns to the ocean.
3. The eggs are relocated from beach to hatchery to protect them from predators and irresponsible human action.
4. In addition fishermen are also paid to bring any turtle eggs they find to the hatchery.
5. The eggs develop and hatch in a protected area. This may take between 45-60 days.
6. The hatched turtles are released into the ocean on the same day if no complications arise.
This is to avoid human interference in their lifestyles as much as possible.
The Kosgoda Turtle Care centre is a great place to learn and love nature while also having fun. It is hands-on and family friendly and therefore should definitely be visited on your holiday to Sri Lanka.
Stop at: Madu River For Boat Ride
Boat Ride along the Madu River. The Madu River is very rich in biodiversity. The Madu River area surrounding the river are all swampy marshlands covered in mangrove forests. The forest covers over 61 hectares, that is over 150 acres. It is interesting to note that mangroves play a huge part in preventing erosion. The region continues to be a treasure trove to biologists and ecologists with many undiscovered species in the unreachable depths of the mangrove forests. The plant life in turn have supported a large number of wildlife that depends on them.
Stop at: Open-Air Fish Massage
An interesting thing to be visited of the area is the Open-Air Fish Massage. The fish massage is quite popular around the world, especially in East Asian countries. The unique factor about this massage is that the fish are held in their natural environment, the river. A large space is sectioned off by nets tied between poles; restricting the fish from leaving that area.
Stop at: Cinnamon Village
The main source of economy for the locals of the Madu Ganga (River) region is the cinnamon industry. The freshly cinnamon is brought here to be peeled. By default, this also means that the best quality cinnamon can be purchased at bargain prices here.