Day Tour to Historical Hill Town
By Adventure Thirdpole Treks
Day trip to Nuwakot is the best for historical and cultural point of view. About 80 km north of Kathmandu lays a remarkable historical hill town called Nuwakot bearing a special importance in the history of Nepal. It was once on a major trade route to Tibet, it has since become one of the most thriving commercial hubs of Nepal, and was by many regarded as the Western gateway to the Kathmandu valley. King Prithvi Narayan Shah, the founder of modern Nepal, planned and launched several unification campaigns from here some 260 years ago. A pagoda style building popularly known as seven-story Nuwakot Palace stands as a landmark of Nuwakot. With strategic hilltop viewpoint, it is rarely frequented yet pristine historical hill town offering the opportunity for learning history and culture.
per group (up to 10)
per group (up to 10)
Lowest price guaranteeReserve now & pay laterFree cancellation
Duration: 7–8 hours
Start time: Check availability
What's not included
- Professional guide
- Transport by private vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Nuwakot Durbar
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- We pick up all the travelers from kathmandu
- Tribhuvan Airport, Kathmandu Nepal
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 57901P7
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- Which attractions will I visit with Day Tour to Historical Hill Town?
- During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Day Tour to Historical Hill Town on Tripadvisor
- How much is Day Tour to Historical Hill Town?
- Day Tour to Historical Hill Town price starts from $160.00. Discover and book Day Tour to Historical Hill Town on Tripadvisor
- What is the Day Tour to Historical Hill Town cancellation policy?
- Day Tour to Historical Hill Town cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Day Tour to Historical Hill Town on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Day Tour to Historical Hill Town?
- Day Tour to Historical Hill Town is hosted by Adventure Thirdpole Treks. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Adventure Thirdpole Treks on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Day Tour to Historical Hill Town on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 57901P7
- You'll get picked upSee departure details
- 1Nuwakot DurbarStop: 7 hours - Admission excludedpon meeting at the departure point or the hotel you stay in Kathmandu, drive to Nuwakot which, offers the breathtaking views of the northern Himalayan ranges including Manaslu to Langtang Range. It will take around 2.5 hrs to arrive Nuwakot. It was once on a major trade route to Tibet, one of the most thriving commercial hubs of Nepal, and regarded as the Western gateway to the Kathmandu valley.Seven Story Palace in Nuwakot is the center of attraction for the visitors. It was built in 1762 AD on the name of ''DurgaRatna". However, it has eventually been renamed and become famous as the Seven Story Palace after fallen of two story in the earthquake of 1934. Strategically placed and impressively built, this palace is of extreme historical importance and is still regarded as a model of architecture. With 5 feet thick walls and towering seven stories above the streets, the palace was built to withstand the strongest of forces. A testimony to its historical significance is that it was in this Palace that King Rana Bahadur Shah welcomed the British representative, Mr. William Kirkpatrick, in 1793, just after the war between Nepal and China. In addition, here, in 1816 AD, King Gribanyoddha received a letter of credential from Mr. E. Gardner, the first representative of the UK to visit Nepal. The massive quake of 2015 badly hit the palace square locals have initiated campaigns to restore the historic and cultural significance of this landmark. Rangamahal (The Palace of Malla King) and Bhairabi temple are the other attractions. Situated just east of the Seven Story Palace, Rangamahal is made of beautiful oily bricks with fine wooden carvings. Since Nuwakot was jointly ruled by the Malla kings of the Kathmandu valley, Rangamahal was built for the purpose of a recreation spot for the three kings of the valley. Four story palace is known as Garadghar. It is situated facing the Seven Story palace and is believed that the King Prithvi Narayan Shah built it in 1762 as a Tilingaghar(Store of weapons). Featuring a unique Nepalese architect of Pagoda style, it stands majestically in the town and remains at the center of attraction for the visitors. You can spend enough time in Nuwakaot. You also have an opportunity of doing the village walk until the Malika hill 1450 m, which offers the wide view of the land terraces along with the distant mountains. You will return to Kathmandu having Nepali typical lunch in Famous Parvati's Homestay.Read more
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
This tour has not yet been reviewed, but you can read what other travelers have to say about this operator.
Life changing experience with amazing guides and meticulous planning
I took part in a 10 day custom package with a group of 9 people heading to the Mardi Himal trek from KTM. It was …
Trustworthy, flexible and kindhearted!
Had a beautiful trek with Adarsha to Mardi Himal BC and a lovely stay in the home of Deepak. Everything was well pr…
Great view, NOT a day tour
This is an interesting place to visit. The architecture is very interesting, and they were doing a lot of restorat…
Highly Recommended, Very Reliable
For the third time in three years, I took a 4WD tour of Upper Mustang with Adventure Thirdpole Treks. This tour wa…
A worry-free adventurous holiday.
Everything from start to end was well planned by our guide Raj and the company. The trek was enjoyable with many la…
Best hospitality and reliability
23 March-7 April 4 of us were supposed to climb Everest base camp but due to the bad haze on the day we were supp…
Located at the heart of kathmandu. All the beauty of nature you can view from here. Gives peace of mind in every vi…
We had a day trip booked in pokhara to explore the city, raj (our guide) was fantastic and kind, he took us out fo…
Wonderful Experience with great people
We had a wonderful time with Raj! He made our time and tour in Pokhara excellent. He even met with us and hosted us…
Wow what a view!
Though I did an Everest Mountain Flight the view of the Himalayas rising above the clouds from Chandragiri at appro…
Trip to Nepal to visit daughter in Sindhupalchok District (Raithane)
We spent several days in Kathmandu and travels to the east and north. Deepak arranged jeep for travel from Kathma…
Awesome experience! Mountains, Culture and the People!
I have been in a couple of places in the world but Nepal is no like others. It's a country where nature shows it …
Photographing Nepal’s Hidden Jewels
I must thank Adventure Third Pole Trak for organizing such a wonderful trip for me to photograph Nepal’s hidden jew…
Soul searching Lantang - Gosainkunda Pass Trek
Where do I even begin about Thirdpole? Have you ever felt at home when you're not exactly at home? At peace at thee…
I toured Upper Mustang in Oct/Nov 2017 with a group organized by a third party with Adventure Thirdpole Treks doing…
Buy it with
From quick jaunts to full-day outings.