These are just three words which spring do mind when thinking about Afar Danakil Depression Tours, Dallol the hottest and most inhospitable places on Earth & a surreal multi-hued field of sulphureous hot springs, Erta Ale the most active volcano with a base diameter of 30 km and a 1 km square caldera at its summit and the salt caravan trail of Berahile.
Lowest price guaranteeFree cancellation
Duration: 6 days
Start time: Check availability
Live guide: German, English, Italian, French, Spanish
What's not included
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - National Museum of Ethiopia
- Entry/Admission - Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Domestic Flight Fees
- Alcoholic beverages
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- Bole Airport, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
- Alula Aba Nega Airport, FGFJ+75H, Mek'ele, Ethiopia
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 107674P25
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- Which attractions will I visit with Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days?
- During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days on Tripadvisor
- How much is Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days?
- Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days price starts from $4,295.27. Discover and book Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days on Tripadvisor
- What is the Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days cancellation policy?
- Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days?
- Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days is hosted by Simien Mountains Tours. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Simien Mountains Tours on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 107674P25
Reserve your spot
Addis Ababa - Mekele - Hamed Ela
Hamed Ella - Dalol - Dodem
Dodem - Erta Alle
Erta Alle - Mekele
Mekele - Addis Ababa
About the operator
Simien Mountains Tours
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Joined in October 2015
#28 of 282 Outdoor Activities in Addis Ababa
- Sarahfinavb004 Day Ethiopia Tour of a Lifetime with Extraordinary GuideI had the trip of a lifetime recently thanks to my extraordinary guide, Dave Yohannes and his wonderful team. My short 4-day trip included some of the best the country has to offer: a boat tour on Lake Tana (the source of the Blue Nile) where we visited ancient island monasteries and spotted hippos; the Blue Nile Falls; the historic castles of Ethiopian Emperors starting with that of Emperor Fasilides (1632) in Gondar as well as Fasilides's famous bath; one of Ethiopia's most beautiful churches - Debra Berhan Selassie with its incredible paintings of biblical verses; the Simien Mountain National Park including encounters with Gelada monkeys and sighting the rare Walia Ibex; the National Museum of Ethiopia in Addis Ababa, home to the remains of humans' original ancestor Lucy from 3 million years ago; Entoto Natural Park (Addis); fabulous venues to experience (and try!) traditional Ethiopian music and dancing; and more. Dave organized every detail - from the airport transfers and 4x4 vehicle/driving; local guides; and park/museum tickets to all accommodation and delicious meals, allowing for stress-free travel with maximum fun. Dave's ability to translate Amharic to English proved invaluable, and we was so warm and welcoming, not only did I feel safe as a woman traveling solo, I felt that I left with many new friends. I hope to go back for longer and to experience more of this incredible country and culture with Dave and his team.
- AnyaLindstromBattle00Absolutely incredible 4-day adventure in the SimiensWe went on a 4-day trek in the Simien Mountains in April 2019 and had the most amazing time. Alex was very helpful and accommodating from the beginning, and everything was well organized and smooth. Our guide was an absolute legend (a 70+ year old who was way fitter than any of us) who knew the mountains inside and out and was incredibly knowledgeable about flora and fauna, especially birds which my mum (an avid bird watcher) was very excited about. Highly recommended to anyone who likes an adventure.
- SamanthAaGHS00Wonderful ExperienceMr.Alex of Simien Mountains Tours did a terrific trip to the Omo Valley and the Afar Triangle! Solomon drove us on the Omo segment, and gave us lots of extra local information, took us into homes, showed us whatever we wanted to see, basically, in addition to the tour plan. The vehicle was comfortable, and the hotel's certainly reasonable for the areas we were in. For the Afar we had a different driver and guide, both excellent. There was a last minute change of plans which was handled very well, with no loss of anything that was planned for us to see and do. I can whole-heartedly recommend Simien Mountains Tours for any travel in Ethiopia
- Elessa58758Lo00Your Best Travel Company To Ethiopia - honest, caring and efficientMy partner and I just got back from our Ethiopia adventure and it was fabulous. We were there from 29th November to the 8th of December this year. Alex coordinated the guided tours, the southern Omo Valley journey and all internal transfers and did an absolutely perfect job of it! Right from picking us up at the airport to managing all internal transit to dropping us back, they were there with us every step of the way. We were made to feel safe at all times. Daniel, Mr. Alex, Abebe, owner at the Simien Mountains Tours , all were lovely people to engage with who made us feel like we had a expendable group of local friends. Since being a tourist in modern-day Ethiopia can be a little overwhelming at times, having them with us made a big difference and enabled us to focus on just having a wonderful holiday without worrying about anything else. they were fantastic. They know their material really well and are open to questions and suggestions. The itinerary was well-planned and allowed us to spend enough time at every location to really get the feel of the place without being herded around like cattle. We’re really grateful to Mr.Alex Abebe for being an integral part of our lovely Ethiopian get-away and for making it so special. Thank you!
- 200Erick26400authentic experience and good serviceauthentic experience and good service Review of Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days Pending review The trip included a visit to the salt mines in the desert, the hot mineral springs in the Danakil Depression and finally to the Erta Ale volcano. Me and my friend were joined by another client of Simien Mountains Tours and then we joined a larger group (total of 5 SUVs), which seems to be a standard practice for such a trip. We had a cook traveling with us and we had warm food all the time, which was surprisingly better than expected. Driver was good and the lead guide of the whole group was amazing. I am satisfied with all the organisation and overall happy with the agent. Feel free to reach out if you have specific question here are their whats app contact +251911904792 All in all, for me, it wasn't a cheap package, but one that was worth given its complexity and my lack of time to do research and arrange each individual on my own. So, it's really the quality of care and materialising a relatively challenging itinerary you are paying for; which would not have been possible with a company that did not have as wide a coverage across the regions I have visited and consistent care provided.
- Ja2321KE00An informative and enjoyable TimeI booked a 7 day cultural tour of Omo valley tribes with Simien Mountains tours and was extremely satisfied with both the professionalism and quality of the tour. The booking and planning process was very efficient with expert advice from Alex the owner. His knowledge of Ethiopia was amazing . He responded almost immediately and nothing was a problem. Kala who was my tour guide throughout the trip was born in the tribal area and local knowledge was excellent which made the trip more entertaining. Kala my guide picked me up me at the airport and booked me to the hotel From the beginning, he felt like a friend. Next day I met the Owner Alex of Simien Mountains Tours tours and he helped me customize all aspects of my tour, the way I wanted it, and he also gave excellent food, hotels and sights recommendations. He did not take me to any tourist traps as per my request and instead gave me an authentic experience. I did many things that a lot of visitors probably never get to do (such as eat at a local village restaurant, drink and party in the local bars.till late always accompanied by Kala and the driver. They was there for me at all times, and was very accommodating. Nothing was a problem. Alex came to see me on the last day and refunded some money for a Hotel upgrade which I paid for and treated me to a evening meal and entertainment at a cultural restaurant before taking me to the airport. I hope to book with them when I come back in September to tour the Northern areas .The price was reasonable, as well. Simien Mountains Tours was a great choice that made my trip memorable and stress-free. I highly recommend them! you could reach out to Alex on whatsapp at this number+251911904792 big thanks goes To Alex and the whole Team at Simien Mountains Tours
- Dougnz201100Totally Amazing trip organized perfectlyI contacted Simien Mountain tours via their website very last minute. Alex responded on Whats app within 5 minutes. He organized us a 4 day Hiking trip in the Simien Mountains. The trip was amazing and very well organized. The driver picked us up spot on time in our hotel in Gondar. We were driven in a tidy new Toyota land cruiser. Alex organized every aspect of the hike and nothing was left out. We hiked just the two of us with a guide and a Scout. I have to mention that we had a chef who cooked us Fantastic yummy meals which were appreciated at the end of a hard days hike. The Simien mountains are unbelievable and incredibly beautiful. As a traveller we do most things last minute and in this instance we threw a few curve balls at Alex changing plans etc and each time he was 100% responsive and came up with options and solutions immediately. I don't usually use agents but given the great service, we then had Alex organize our trip from Gondar to Lalibela, we decided to Drive and Alex organized us a car and Driver. This was a fantastic drive of 7 hours seeing the real Ethiopia country side and was a great experience. I totally recommend you hand over your travel plans to Alex. I'll be going back to Ethiopia and when I do my first call will be to Alex to recommend an itinerary.
- CamRsl00Excellent service, trustful guideAbel was by far the best guide we had plan our trip in Ethiopia. He arranged our 3 days hike in the Simiens mountains and a day trip to Bahar Dar. Everything was carefully planned and spot on. He always goes the extra mile to show you the city - even accompanied me to a fabric shop in the city center for me to take some back home. You can trust Abel, he'll make sure you have an amazing trip! Thank you for everything :) Cami & Pierre
- 345damit4ra00simply the best tour company in Ethiopiafor someone who is well-traveled and often an independent one at that, I cannot fault the level of organisation and effort put into making a hybrid, tailor-made, 9-day tour work so well for me. Simien Mountaians Tours helped arrange a pick-up for me at Makele Airport to join what was an extraordinary 3-day Danakil tour that included a visit to the volcano, salt lake and mines and to the extremely unique geological hotspots with a group led by a well-informed and a very friendly guide and an excellent chef whose meals left all travellers unanimously wanting for more. There's enough feedback out there regarding Danakil Depression, so, I won't go into much detail on that, but suffice it to say, the local operators arranged by Simien Mountains Tours to help me travel across the region were up to very high standard. Of course, what stood out was all the intermediary arrangements, where I was picked up back in Makele for a short visit to Hawzen, from where I was able to visit Abuna Yameta before making my way to Lalibela (where an excellent accommodation was provided at Top Twelve Hotel), where I enjoyed, again a very well-informed tour with a good guide and some time to relax and enjoy the city (particularly recommending Ben Abeba and Torpedo Tej Bet). Final part of the composite trip was 3-day trekking on the Simien Mountains. This was the only section where (particularly due to superiority of the Danakil tour), the package had some minor issues: the meals were basic, the accommodation at cold nights was challenging and the local guide asked for tips that were not part of the original deal. That said, hardly any of these would have been foreseen by Simien Mountains Tours , who have tried to help by intervening at various points when concerns were raised. This is more of a note for them and the wider community to manage expectations from a Simien Mountains tour. All in all, for me, it wasn't a cheap package, but one that was worth given its complexity and my lack of time to do research and arrange each individual on my own. So, it's really the quality of care and materialising a relatively challenging itinerary you are paying for; which would not have been possible with a company that did not have as wide a coverage across the regions I have visited and consistent care provided This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC. Ways to Experience Simien Mountains Tours
- Penhalley0020 Day Cultural TourWe spent 20 days traveling by 4x4 from the North to the South and then the East.. we saw everything we came to see, during our month-long visit, overall. Unfortunately fir us, I picked the wrong tour company to start, but the good news is, that led us to the ow we of the truck, used, as well as the driver. I joe you get Soloman to drive you. He was reliable, dependable and made our trip work! It was quite an undertaking to do so much road travel. We added some flights, so that was good. We were not lined out, properly for accommodations, and that is on the other tour guide, not this one. We did not care for much if the accommodations sling the way. Some were a result of the area, but an upgrade in a few locations would have been good. Bring lots of cash, as it’s pretty much a cash and carry country, paying fur guides, tipping guides and meals and souvenirs... it adds up. I recommend this tour company. You will be in good hands. Go directly with Alex, and Salomon, and steer clear of anybody babes Amsalu, and you will have wonderful trip!
- 26eJeem6ie00Authentic, engaging and insightful - for residents and tourists!First Class company. Mr, Alex is great with set up and VERY cost competitive. local tour guide extraordinaire and his exceptional driver etc, Vallance are absolute professionals. Not only did they deliver all as promised - they went above and beyond for our group of 4. We experienced and met many incredible people, Gorillas and Golden Monkeys along the way. When you go to Ethiopia, do yourself a huge favor and book with EcoTravel. We are all very seasoned travelers and Eco is simply the Best in the Business...and they also have a classic, comfortabale brand new Toyota Land Cruiser to get you where you need and want to b Our November 2019 8-day hike in the Simien Mountains was by all aspects a fantastic experience. We thoroughly enjoyed the encounters with the local population, the nothing short of spectacular scenery and the wildlife viewing. We had arranged the tour/trek with Eco Travel and could not have been more pleased with the service we received. by Mr, Alex Abebe the tour manager, and owner at Eco Travel our guide and his team ensured our well being, comfort and safety from the hotel pick-up in Gondar, throughout the trek until the return to
- 45ArIyta67nna00Vacation of a lifetime Thanks to Simien Mountains ToursGreat 11-days Tour to North Ethiopia, Simien National park and Danakil depression Big Thanks to Mr Alex, and your company! It was great, comfortable and very interesting tour with various activity. We have only 11 days for our trip and it was not easy to combine trekking in Simien National park, Danakil Depression and historical and cultural tour in the North of Ethiopia, but Mr Alex did it! We were in many beautiful unique churches (for exsample, in Debre Libanos, on Lake Tana, in Axum, near Yeha, Haseyen and Wukro), went to Blue Nile waterfalls, had 3-days trekking in Simien NP and with the hike to Imet Gogo (and we saw the Abyssinian wolf!! It was good fortune for us!), than taste various national food and drinks (and of course different coffеe), than went to Danakil Depression with Eco Team (Erta Ale, Dallol and the salt desert are something cosmic! You must see!), than we return to Mekele and went to Lalibella. Lalibella is an incredible place with unique arcitecture, which couldn't be find in another place, I think. The tour was very flexible and when we had to stay in Addis Ababa for a day, Eco's team quickly found a way out and had a wonderful tour of the museums of the capital. And our guide and driver are really cool and they are real ringers! When one of us needed help (because of technical failures of the airline), of course, we wrote to Mr Alex and Simien's team worked quickly, smoothly and professionally. Excellent! Really, we had not to find vehicle, hotels, tickets, restaurants, had not to arrange local guides, companies and scouts - Simien Mountains Tours did everything for us.we hope to do another fabulous Tour With you maybe for the omo valley next year or so Highly Recommended Simien Mountains Tours If you want to travel Ethiopia I would gladly reccommend Simien Mountains Tours, you can contact Mr Alex firstname.lastname@example.org or phone/Whatsapp: +251 911904792
- darshank202000Good tripI planned for short trip and went to Merkato, Mount entoto as was bored with routine work and need some family trip. Trip was good because Simien mountain helped us end to end. Everyone from family enjoyed a small vacation. Excellent Simien mountain.
- tylerj91200Awesome experience.....Enjoyed a lotI was planning for the trip with friends and was looking for some tripadvisor and came across Simien mountains. All of my friends were happy within the entire trip and more over all of the advisor at Simien mountain were very helpful and provided quick response. We went at Merkato, Mount Entoto and many other places. Simien mountain helped us in every way they can and also the nature was good from all of the team members. I would say that they are best in compared to others. Finally enjoyed a lot :)
- georgedN8249TP00Thanks to Eco travel agencyI was planning for the trip in Addis Abeba, I was the only person to handle entire team of 19 persons so I contacted eco travel agency. They were very helpful in the entire trip, we visited National museum, Merkato, Mount Entoto. In addition to that they also helped us by arranging vehicle to visit at all of the different places. At last we enjoyed the entire trip, full credit goes to Eco travel agency
Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days provided by Simien Mountains Tours
Product Overview: Explore the Danakil Depression in 6 Days
Number of Photos